Author Topic: From the Inbox  (Read 22939 times)

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
Re: From the Inbox
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »

The person who Photoshopped this picture clearly doesn't that penguins and polar bears live on opposite sides of the planet.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »
A Tom & Jerry moment.... hilarious  :laugh:
for album click the pic

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2016, 02:34:33 AM »

The article link still works, but the picture links do not.  Maybe this will help lower the idiocy rate in America (but I doubt it).

8) ;) 8)
"On the wind soaring free
 Spread your wings, I'm beginning to see
 Out of mind far from view
 Beyond the reach of a nightmare come true."
   New Horizons 1972 by The Moody Blues

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »
I assume you are not supposed to block fire hydrants but this a cracking solution  :laugh:
And the rest where great also, but this happens over here as well

And this is perhaps a little excessive !

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
for album click the pic

Aikagi000

• Sr. Resident
  • Veronica M. Tsai         12/3/12  - Sinthetics b1H
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:49 PM »
ooooohoh ho ho ho ho sweet revenge. I love it.
“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.”
― Pablo Picasso

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
     Not from my inbox, but...

I have been a long-time supporter of the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI). The SETI group uses a distributed computer program to analyze received data from radio telescopes. That program was developed at the University of California at Berkeley. It is called "Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing" and uses the acronym "BOINC".

It was not lost on me that "BOINC" is very similar to "boink", a colloquial term used to mean "have sex with ...". So, if you are interested in inter-galactic sex on the student exchange basis, go to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ to see if they have found anyone boinkable out there.

8) ;D 8)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
http://www.toledozoo.org/SafarEmail/2016/12-14-16.html

Reindeer: Bucking Tradition

Thanks to beloved stories and songs, we associate reindeer with the holidays. However, our knowledge of the amazing creature has also been influenced by pop culture. While we have enjoyed the story of Rudolph for the last 75+ years, reindeer have been domesticated for use as pack animals and for food, shelter and clothing for the last 3,000 years. Here is the true story of reindeer and some holiday myth-busting!

Reindeer (Rangifer tarandus) live in herds as large as 500,000 in Canada, Alaska, Greenland, northern Europe and Asia. (Although technically when referring to the wild animals, they are called caribou...but we will get to that later.) A reindeer’s most impressive feature is their antlers. Reindeer are unique as both male and female reindeer grow antlers each year, with females being about 20 inches long while male antlers can be up to 51 inches long. These antlers are used as weapons, to attract mates and to clear snow and ice to find food.

At their shoulder, reindeer stand between 33-59 inches tall and can weigh 121–470 pounds, depending on sex and time of year. Reindeer eat moss, herbs, ferns and grass, consuming between nine and 18 pounds of food per day. They vary in color depending on habitat and time of year and are covered in hair from their nose to the bottom of their feet. They have two layers of hair: an undercoat of fine, soft wool near the skin and a guard coat that is long and hollow to trap air serving as insulation and assist in buoyancy in water.

Reindeer are specially adapted for cold weather. Their nose actually warms air as they breathe and condenses the water in the air to keep their mucus membranes moist as they travel into the wind picking up scents to locate food. Additionally, in the summer, footpads soften for traction on wet ground, while in the winter they tighten to reveal the rims of the hooves to aid in walking on and digging in snow and ice.

Now, the myth busting-
     Reindeer and caribou are the same animal- caribou refers to wild animals while reindeer is the domesticated term.
While reindeer cannot really fly- they are great jumpers and quite quick for such a large creature. Their top speed is 50 mph on land and 6.2 mph in the water.
If they did walk on your roof, you would hear click, click, click as they make a loud clicking noise when they walk due to a tendon slipping over their foot bone.
While they don’t travel the world in one night- they are known to migrate up to 1,000 miles for food and birthing.
Rudolph’s red nose wouldn’t really be necessary, as reindeer are the only mammals that can see ultra-violet light aiding in viewing plants in the glowing white tundra.

Merry Christmas!

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2017, 01:53:25 AM »
Valentine's Day 2017

Spitzer Hears Stellar 'Heartbeat' from Planetary Companion

A planet and a star are having a tumultuous romance that can be detected from 370 light-years away.

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has detected unusual pulsations in the outer shell of a star called HAT-P-2. Scientists' best guess is that a closely orbiting planet, called HAT-P-2b, causes these vibrations each time it gets close to the star in its orbit.

"Just in time for Valentine's Day, we have discovered the first example of a planet that seems to be causing a heartbeat-like behavior in its host star," said Julien de Wit, postdoctoral associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge. A study describing the findings was published today in Astrophysical Journal Letters.

:-*

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:04 PM »
Reindeer: Reminds me of the FAA inspector who climbs aboard Santa's sleigh for his annual pilot license check -- carrying a shotgun. Noticing Santa's look of alarm he winks and says, "I'm not supposed to tell ya this in advance, but you're gonna lose an engine on take off."

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
     Karl Taylor created one of Arthur Mole’s living photographs with the help of 650 school kids.