Author Topic: When is a doll's birthday?  (Read 5458 times)

theodoric

• Resident
Re: When is a doll's birthday?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
Hi Theo,

Sorry forgot to wish you and Mio a happy anniversary.

Ciao

Thank You  :D

and no problem ... it isnt like I was running around advertising it before hand  :)

frekka2021

• New Resident
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
I think it's more complicated than that. For some of us doll have a back story. That should mean that the doll is at least as old as she/he looks. Like Sidore Kuroneko, for example, who was born on 18 July 1979.

After all: the things most of us do with the doll, shouldn't be done do a 0- or 1-year-old.  ;)

So for me the birthday of a doll is purely fictional and the day of arrival is - truthfully - the first meeting, which can be celebrated as anniversary in the following years.

Count me in as one would say that her birthday should be on the day she arrives home, since it's not always possible to get the other information.

Also, I like your idea, Andy, of Eden being instantly 24 years old!  :thumb:

Well.... should I say.... she turns 24 (probably) around when your Sidore Kuroneko's day is. I know some RG's whose day that is too, so Eden's won't be the 18th.

I will now have to devise a 'past history' for her.. hmm... yes she is defineately a flight attendant ...

Andy_J

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
Also, I like your idea, Andy, of Eden being instantly 24 years old!  :thumb:
Well.... should I say.... she turns 24 (probably) around when your Sidore Kuroneko's day is.
My text was perhaps a bit misleading  :whistle: and just to avoid any future confusion: Sidore is not "mine". I used her name as an example, because she is said to be the world's second-most famous doll (and belongs to doll expert Davecat).
My doll is called Amy.  :)

frekka2021

• New Resident
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
Yes of course... thanks.

The crazy thing is I was watching that documentary with Davecat and his lady only a few days ago.

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 01:07:19 AM »
A post I made in a different thread got me thinking about this topic.

I have long considered "Delivery/Arrival Day" to be an anniversary as opposed to a birthday when it comes to dolls. If I am able to learn the date the doll was first assembled completely "head on body," I consider that to be their "birthday." If I cannot find out that day, I then go to the day the body came out of the mold. I've gone to some pretty interesting lengths to learn this by checking the meta data on pictures of the doll right out of the mold, or just directly asking the manufacturer what the date was (if they can remember/provide that info). If I still cannot find out either of these dates, I figure I am free to make something up at that point.

So, for the dolls that I currently have (that I have this figured for):

De-Molded:      Arrived:
Sophia:    22 Jan 2008     11 Feb 2008

Amberly:  4 Jul 2010        22 Jul 2010

Karah:     4 Jul 2010        22 Jul 2020

I do not have full data/info for the following dolls:

Arrived:
Ginger:      25 Feb 2011

Yuki:         28 Oct 2013

Freja:        28 Oct 2013

Ki:            9 Jul 2014

Emma:      9 Jul 2014

Danielle:    9 Jul 2014

Esmeralda: 16 Nov 2015

Penelope*: 17 October 2016

Bambi*: 17 October 2016

* indicates a name as provided by the manufacturer for said head/body combo.

Dang, I really need to get with the creativity and find/create birthdays for some of my dolls and heads!
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

Begog

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
To me it's always been "Delivery Day"

The day she pops out of her crate and into your arms.
Amen, brother!  :thumb:
None of the other dates matter, as she was new/unused before that.

Aikagi000

• Sr. Resident
  • Veronica M. Tsai         12/3/12  - Sinthetics b1H
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 01:33:55 AM »
I'm with Euch. The day she/he was removed from the mold is the birthday. When she arrives to me is our anniversary, the day we met.
“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.”
― Pablo Picasso

akira-fan

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »
So I emailed the company I ordered from to ask about when he was demolded, but they didn't give a date just that his body was. They say the head will likely be de-moulded [sic] next week.

Which date would I use...or in the absence of either am I "free to choose my own" as another poster said? I'm half-tempted to use either April 3rd (the day I paid for him) ...or April 17 (the day his body was likely demolded) ...or even April 15 (which was the day I started writing his intro to post on a certain doll forum when he arrives)?  ???

Aikagi000

• Sr. Resident
  • Veronica M. Tsai         12/3/12  - Sinthetics b1H
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 01:03:31 AM »
Personally I would go by body. Since your doll's existence is pretty much solidified at that point.
“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.”
― Pablo Picasso

akira-fan

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 01:55:29 AM »
Personally I would go by body. Since your doll's existence is pretty much solidified at that point.

I asked them twice when that was, but they didn't tell me :scold: (not sure if didn't know or couldn't remember). I was personally leaning towards either the 3rd (as that's when they received my money, technically sent on the 2nd - "World Autism Awareness Day" - which is why I listed it as such in my original thought) or the 15th (as he's "real enough" to write a 200 word essay about his personality :laugh: - plus it gives me a reason to look forward to "Tax Day" :P).

oleesheetmon

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 06:28:52 AM »

There's clearly different opinions on this.  To me, a really big factor seems to be which doll manufacturer the doll is coming from.  From what I've read here on ODC, the vast majority can send you a new doll within a couple months... you can see where I'm going with this... Then with Sinthetics, it can be a couple years.  Rachel arrived here about 5-6 months after she was poured, but from what others have written, it sounds like it could be as much as a year!

If all the doll makers were consistent in their wait times, I'd probably side with their birthday being the day they're popped from the mold ... BUT another consideration is every doll coming out of that mold looks identical and not the doll ordered so maybe we should consider their birthday isn't until all the custom features are applied and they actually become YOUR made-to-order doll.

With all that being said, it seems as if shipping day or arrival day would be most realistic.  To me, there is NOTHING more exciting or mind blowing than arrival day... I'm going with Arrival Day... With that, my Rachel is a ripe old age of 16 months!

Szalinski

• Sr. Resident
  • Reality is for those with no imagination.
    • Chris'Z Corner
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
Well I look at it this way...

• Sending/Reciept of order - Conception
  • Waiting/Building of doll - Term of pregnancy
  • Delivery of doll - Labor
  • Arrival - Birth.

Naturally, as she's a Cylon, in Sharon's case these steps were slightly different.
Based on what women say they want, I'm the Perfect Man!
...No wonder I've been so lonely!!

My cross country bike ride | Flickr albums for my dolls

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
Exactly  Szalinski   :)
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Eva Kumiko

• Doll Account
  • Resident
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
Totally agree with Szalinski. You can even consider a name during pregnancy, but birth is the end of expecting and the beginning of taking care.
Ich bin von Kopf bis Fuss auf Liebe eingestellt.
1930, Friedrich Hollaender

kenny

• New Resident
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
your dolls birthday to me is the day she arrives in your home and you open the box sort her out and look into her eyes and you know shes yours