Author Topic: Hello Im new- Need ask question about TPE Glue Repair  (Read 326 times)

miss_Vix

• New Resident
Hello Im new- Need ask question about TPE Glue Repair
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
I bought a doll last year Nov 16, 2016

I bought I think is some TPE glue from the supplier. Becuase near the crotch and leg seam, she was starting to tear there.

So Today I decided to put some on the teared parts and close her legs to close the seam.

As I opened the cap. The TPE Glue smells like, Model Glue for assembling models with..

Okay so.. I figured.. Well here goes nothing

So I took a q-tip and applied the glue to the opening seam.

Then I began to notice the seam just got bigger and bigger. The glue started eating into the Sicilian.
So, from that point I just Closed the legs. So the Tear is shut.

Is this normal for TPE Glue to corrode some of the Sicilian to adhere itself?

I will leave it dry for about 6hrs and then check to see if its bonded. Would that be a long enough time?

Thank you

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
Re: Hello Im new- Need ask question about TPE Glue Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »
From what I understand, the glue for TPE dolls is like the glue for plastic models.  It melts the TPE and bonds the two parts together.  So hopefully you used enough on the actual tear and the two sides of the tear bonded.  If not, you might have a worse problem with the glue bonding other parts that you don't to bond.

miss_Vix

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
Ya.. I figured it melt so it can bond together..

So later After it didnt bond correctly the first time. I figure I just do it faster
After I looked at youtube videos of other people applying TPE glue

I figured.. To give it another shot.
So I applied enough glue. Closed it up very quickly propped her legs up closed

waited 6 hrs.. And then still no luck. Perhaps the glue is just to old maybe... Im not sure. But I contact supplier about this. They may resend glue...
Maybe there is a different option I can use?

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
  • She ain't heavy she's just rubber
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
Miss_Vix,
There's a TPE repair thread that might be useful here: http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=8798.0.  Dollstudio's  repair kit is different from the basic melting chemical that you've already tried, its well worth investigating.

I have not got a TPE doll but from what I've read many folks regularly apply vaseline to those high stress areas of TPE dolls to soften the TPE and prevent future tearing, something I wouldn't have been aware of if I hadn't already read posts here and there.  Personally I would keep the doll positioned in a way that will put the least amount of stress on that tear until you've got a better repair kit like the one above.  Good luck!

Begog

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
Vaseline and baby oil are great for preventing a tear, but will also interfere with the repair bond if present in the wound. Although acetone is bad for TPE, if used sparingly, it will provide a clean, dry surface to repair. TPE glue must also be used sparingly, or it will melt a bigger hole. Brush on a small amount, close it, and keep it that way at least 30 minutes. Open it slowly, and if you see any open wounds, retouch with glue and repeat. Good luck.

miss_Vix

• New Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
Thanks Alot Friends

I ask the supplier to resend me some glue.
I guess the first Time when they sent, Some glue had leaked out. But there was still a tight seal. So Perhaps the Air got inside and made the glue no more good?

It just a small plastic bottle... 1 bottle..

Also got my Doll from ebay Vendor: wsmartboundless

http://www.ebay.com/usr/wsmartboundless?ul_noapp=true