Author Topic: Information on using the Gallery  (Read 6622 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Information on using the Gallery
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »
Information on using the
Coppermine Photo Gallery

Updated 6 Oct 2016

Gettng Started

This is mostly to acquaint new users with getting started in using the Coppermine Photo Gallery (CPG). You cannot self-register for a gallery. This keeps out people who are not registered on the forum, and cuts down on those who want to spam our people with unwanted advertisements. To request a free gallery, send a Personal Message (PM) to Camp, the Gallery Administrator. Once you are approved for a gallery you can create albums in that gallery and begin to upload pictures.

Once you are approved, you need to log into the Coppermine Photo Gallery, whether or not you are logged into the forum. You do not need to log into the forum to log into the Coppermine Photo Gallery. It may help to have this tutorial web page open in one browser tab or window, and the Coppermine Photo Gallery web page open in another tab or window. On the CPG web page, look for "Upload file" in the navigation section under ourdollcommunity.com. If you do not see "Upload file", then you are not logged into the CPG. If you are logged into the CPG, then skip down to “Creating Albums”.

The pictures linked throughout this tutorial may help you to understand the process. Right-click on any picture to open a larger image in a new tab or window.

Stop here! Print or save these instructions before continuing!

Coppermine login procedure
Right-click on any picture to open a larger image in a new tab or window.

Go to http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery. You should see this screen.

This page shows the gallery when you are not logged in. Click the "Login" button next to the "Home" button.

After hitting the "Login" button, you will see this screen.

Enter your username and password. If they are different than the username and password that you used to register for the forum, be careful using the right set for the gallery. Click the "Login" button under "Remember me".

There should be a screen that says "Welcome username ..." over a button that says "Continue". If you do not click the "Continue" button, the next page may appear after a few seconds.

If your login was successful, you should see

Home ::   My gallery ::   Memberlist ::   Upload file ::   Logout [gallery username] in the top menu.

If Upload file and Logout [gallery username] are not present, then you are NOT logged in. You may have to clear out your ourdollcommunity.com and www.ourdollcommunity.com cookies. You do not need to delete all of your cookies! See How do I view and control cookies in my web browser? and How to View Cookies.

NOTE:   Our Doll Community (ODC) uses Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software integrated with Ajax chat. SMF uses an internet browser cookie (a text file) to store Session ID information on your computer. The Ajax chat program stores a separate cookie on your computer to hold your chat preferences. The Coppermine Photo Gallery software stores information in the SMF cookie your computer. If you delete the SMF cookie while logged into the forum, you will have Session ID problems which may prevent you from properly logging out of and back into the forum.

If you cannot log into the Coppermine Photo Gallery, log out of the forum. This will prevent you from having problems logging into the forum at a later time. Clear your internet browser cookies and try to log into the CPG again. You do not need to log into the forum to log into the Coppermine Photo Gallery. If for any reason you need to change your CPG password, login to the CPG and go to the "My profile" link. Other things may be added or changed here as well.

Creating Albums

Each member gallery must have at least one album before you can upload pictures. Many albums can be put into one gallery. Viewing permissions are set separately for each album (see below).

There are four tabs at the top of the screen: "Create/order my albums", "Modify my albums", "My profile", and "Sort my pictures". You can change the order of your pictures on the "Sort my pictures" tab, but I find the sort function difficult to use.

To create a new album, log into the Coppermine Photo Gallery, then click on "Create/order my albums" tab and click "New". This will generate a "New album" name in the text box below "Delete/New" and above "Apply modifications". If you do not change this default name, you may have a hard time remembering what is in this album.  If you create more than one album, this is where you go to sort the albums.

1. Click "Create / order my albums"

Create and Sort albums page

2. Click "New" button

3. Rename new album

New album renamed (Arimecibo in this example)

4. Click "Apply modofications" button

then click "OK" to continue or "Cancel" to make changes

5. On the "Creating new album {new album name}" page, click "Continue"

Uploading pictures

The "Upload file" link (up in the page navigation area) will take you to the Upload page. You may upload files directly from your computer to the CPG using "File Uploads:", or from the internet using "URI/URL Uploads:". NOTE: "URI Uploads" has been known to cause problems. It has been removed in later versions of Coppermine Photo Gallery. For the second option, you provide the URL (Uniform Resource Locator - the web address), and the software will import the picture for you. I never tried this, so I do not know how well it works.

At this point, it is a good idea to use Windows Explorer (or another file manager) and navigate to the directory (folder) on your computer where you store the pictures that you want to upload. Highlight the directory name and copy it to your clipboard.

Windows Explorer showing my "Computer" (root) directory.

Windows Explorer showing the directory from which I intend to upload pictures.

In the CPG window, click on "Browse" (or the text box in front of "Browse") to look for pictures on your computer. This will open a popup window.  Either navigate to your picture directory, or copy the address into the "File name:" text box at the bottom of the page. When you get to the pictures directory, click on the filename of the picture that you want to upload.

I have not been able to paste directly into any of the five vertical boxes they give you, so do not even bother. When you click another "Browse" button, the popup window will open to the same location on your computer. Click the filename of the next picture that you want to upload. If you have more than five pictures to upload, fill in all five boxes with the first five pictures and click on "Continue". NOTE: Coppermine will place these five files in reverse order in your gallery.

1. Click the "Upload file" button in the Main Navigation menu to see this screen.

2. The "Choose File to Upload" dialog box

3. Select a file, then click "Open" in the lower right-hand corner.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 to populate the five dialog boxes that are available. If you have less than five pictures to upload, then some of the boxes will be empty.

5. Scroll down to the "Continue" button and click on it to start the uploads.

6. Once these files are uploaded, click the "Continue" button on the new page to place your pictures in your albums.

After the pictures are uploaded, click "Continue" to place the pictures in albums. While placing the pictures, you will be asked for a title, description and keywords. These are optional, but may be helpful when looking for your pictures later.

1. Click on the "Select album" dropdown menu. If you forget this and Continue on, just hit the Back button in your browser.

2. Drop down list opened. Select your destination album here.

3. Enter the file name, description, and any keywords that you want.

Click "Continue" to repeat steps 1 through 3 until you see the next page.

4. Once the five pictures are placed in your album, you will see the "Continue" window. Click "Upload file" button in the Main Navigation menu if you want to upload more pictures.

If you click "Continue", it will take you back to the index screen. If you are done you may click on "My Albums" to go back to your albums index page. Click on the new gallery on your index page to see the pictures you just uploaded, and make any corrections that you want. If you are finished, you may log out.

Editing Albums and Pictures

To edit/delete albums or pictures, click on the "Modify my albums" tab. Way over on the right underneath "Update album" is a drop down list for the current album. On the current album, you may select:

Album title: Name for the album
Album category: Pre-defined. This cannot be changed. Mine says User Gallery
Album description: Your description, if any, of what is in the album
Album Keyword: Any keywords, if any that you select
Album thumbnail: This is a picture that will show up on your gallery home page for this album. Each album can have its own thumbnail.

"Edit albums" page

"Edit files" page

My new album

Changing album picture

Between Update album and General settings are three links: "Edit files", "Parent category" and "Thumbnail view". "Edit files" will allow you to edit the file information, keywords, or delete the picture.

Permissions for this album will allow you to decide viewing options (who can see your pictures) in this particular album, but not for the whole of your gallery. We had a member try to post a few private pictures (at our suggestion) and found out that all of management can see the pictures, but that neither regular members nor guests could see them. This is a security feature of the software that allows moderators to edit the galleries. Stick to the established rules and your pictures will be safe! You can add a password and password hint if you like. Please write these down somewhere! You may also elect to have comments and ratings for your pictures.

Each album in a gallery may be set to one of three viewing options (see Changing album permissions):

Option 1
Everybody - anyone can view the album even if they are not logged into the Coppermine Photo Gallery.

Note about the CPG index: If any of the albums in a member's gallery are set to Everybody, then that member's name will always show on the CPG index page. Any albums in that gallery that are set to the other two options will only show according to those options.

Option 2
Me only - only the gallery owner (and management) can see this album, and only when that owner (or management) is logged into the Coppermine Photo Gallery.

Note about the CPG index: If all of the albums in a member's gallery are set to Me only, then that member's name will never show on the CPG index page. No one but the gallery owner (and management) will ever see the gallery.

Option 3
Members of the 'Registered' group - only people who are logged into the Coppermine Photo Gallery may view the albums.

Note about the CPG index: If any of the albums in a member's gallery are set to Members of the 'Registered' group, then that member's name will show on the CPG index page to those who are logged into the Coppermine Photo Gallery. Unregistered guests will not see any album so designated.

Regardless of how you set the options for an album in your gallery, you can still link to the pictures in that gallery. These picture links can be used to place your pictures in messages on the forum, as well as anywhere on the internet. You cannot watermark pictures with the Coppermine Photo Gallery software, but watermarking pictures before uploading is allowed. Some photo editing packages do provide this feature.

Some members have galleries, but have no pictures in them. These empty galleries (no albums, or no pictures in the albums) will not show on the CPG index page.

Notes

Since there is no Help file for Coppermine, this information is based on experience. I could be wrong, so others are welcome to add or correct any of the information. I do hope this is of some help to new (and some not-so-new) folks here!

If you have a gallery off-site (not at ODC) and you wish to have that website listed on the forum here, please contact a moderator and request that your link be added to the Links page.

Whether you keep your pictures here or on another website, you may want to post a few of them in your messages on the forum. Look here to find out how you can do that.

The Mod Squad
 O0 :angel: :police:

Edited October 6, 2016
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
Re: Information on using the Gallery
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Thank You Noquiexis.

I am the Gallery Administrator, If anyone needs help with anything, Please feel free to PM me.

I check registrations with member names. So a PM to me when registering can help.

Enjoy the pictures !
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »
I am having a small problem with the gallery.

When I vote for a picture I like to leave a comment.

It will only let me type one letter...

I have left comments before but dang if I know how I did it.

Helppppppppp

Coral
Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
Coral..and others...

Bear with us, we have a few bugs that need to be worked out.

We have someone looking at it.

Perry

• Sr. Resident
  • Movin' On
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »
I just tried to comment on a photo....same deal: could only enter one letter.

Perry

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Waaaay back when...

We had a problem with spammers, spamming the gallery comments with spam.

We have since changed how people register, but I'll have to check about the comments.

Please bear in mind, I don't like to mess with the settings.

We also had people using the comments in the gallery to try and be spiteful...

blasters714

• Resident
  • DOGS RULE!!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
Camp,I hope it's not too late but I wanted to thank you for all your help you gave me when I needed to post pictures for an auction block item.
Dolls are people too!

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
Camp,I hope it's not too late but I wanted to thank you for all your help you gave me when I needed to post pictures for an auction block item.

You're welcome ! It was my pleasure.

Gramps

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:58:44 PM »
The Gallery has a "My Favorites" listing, presumably one for each user.  So I find this photo that I love, and I want to be able to navigate back to it quickly at any time by clicking on it in my Favorites listing.  But I see no option, no icon, no control of any kind for doing this, neither on the photo page or on my blank "My Favorites" page.  What am I missing?

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »
I have never used "Favorites"...

I can look into it.

Unless someone can explain it to us.

Gramps

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 02:11:44 AM »
I find the sort function difficult to use.

Indeed, one needs to read the fine print.  Once you select an album and get into the list of that album's files, you highlight one that you want to move, and move it up or down using the black arrows.  Do not click too quickly, or some clicks will not register.  Then click on the "Apply modifications" button at the bottom, then click on the "Confirm" button, then the sort is done.  As the fine print says, you are sorting by POSITION when you do this.  So the sort you just did will have no effect until you click on "POSITION +" in the album's title bar.

That brings us to a deficiency, IMO, in the software.  The album's order may now be just peachy when YOU view it, but to other viewers, the sort may remain jumbled.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I tested this on other computers besides the one where I did the sort, and the sort did not take effect for those computers, UNTIL I clicked on POSITION + from those computers.  The default seems to be a sort by filename.  A workaround:  Click on FILENAME + to see which photo appears first under that sort, then put a note under that photo (in the Description field) directing the viewer to click on POSITION + to get the correct order of photos.

Of course if you manage to name the files so that their alphanumeric order is also their preferred order of appearance, then none of this applies.  You don't use Sort.

roustabout

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:30:26 PM »
Another work around is to pre-plan your file names so that they will auto sort they way you want when you upload them.  ;)
Stacy is a Realdoll body 7 face 2.

Jesse1965

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 05:49:52 AM »
For some reason, the order (and storyline) was out of whack when I posted this gallery link a few months back.  I think I've corrected it now.  Has anyone else had issues with their gallery being changed for no apparent reason?

Also, does this storyline make sense to others, or is it just showing properly on my computer?  Thanks in advance!

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1224
You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you'll never get any sleep with a redhead.

Ceej

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 06:16:54 AM »
Hi Jesse, often pics do end up out of the intended order when placed in the gallery.
Sorry but what I see does not follow an order that makes sense.

One thing you can do and its what I usually do, when I do photostory shoots I usually make up a dedicated thread on the forum, posting all the pics and captions. That way they will be in order for folks to see.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Jesse1965

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
OK, Ceej.  Thanks for the info.  As I went back to the iPhone to look later, I could see the order wasn't the same as with the laptop.  I think I'll redo all the filenames so they are automatically ordered.  In this case, there are 45 pics, so I think a new thread with the whole story would be too much over the top, wouldn't it?  8)
You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you'll never get any sleep with a redhead.