Author Topic: ODC amateur doll photographer's tips and tricks thread- Pros welcome too!  (Read 19510 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
I'm so happy I found this thread and the 'Studio Lighting' thread.

I've had some problems with my camera's flash washing out and making Ethan look too shiny in many of his photo's.

I plan to try out the flash diffuser techniques found in the first posts before I go the route of using different lights all together.

Even a high quality flash with the best Gary Fong diffuser will still wash things out. Flash photography is one of the most challenging art forms. The guys on TV make it look so easy. Of course what there not showing is the hour or so worth of test shots they spent setting up the flash photo shoot.

My advice is not to use a flash at all. Doll can hold a pose for a really long time so a photo can simply be brightened with a long exposure. All you need is a tripod. Also be sure to either use a remote or the shutter delay. With long exposures even pushing a button on the camera can cause a slight vibration which will cause blurriness.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
5 Places to Sell Your Photos
By Michelle Ecker on March 8th, 2017
New York Institute of Photography

Read the article here.

1. Alamy- There are currently more than 60 million images and videos for sale on this site, and with good reason- they give a whopping 50% royalty to photographers for each image sold. Oh, and if you’re an NYIP student? They’ll give you 100% commission on any sales you make for two years – no strings attached.

2. Shutterstock- If you work with Shutterstock, you can still keep a copyright on the photos you upload, which means a lot to those worried about creative ownership. The average user makes up to 30% royalty when their images are sold (usually $30 maximum).

3. iStock Photo- Most photographers only make about 15% royalty when their images are downloaded, but if a certain picture of yours gains consistent downloads and popularity that percentage can jump up to 45. However, if you sign an exclusivity contract (meaning you’ll only upload photos on iStock, no other sites), they bump that 15% minimum to somewhere between 20-45% in reciprocity.

4. PhotoShelter- This is actually something you would integrate into your own website if you have one (if you don’t, learn to make one here).

5. Fotolia- Photographers working with Fotolia receive an average of 20-50% royalty on their sold images- and the site also boasts their immediate deposit convenience, meaning you get that money right away.

8) ;) 8)
 Your dreams come true"

WhiteFox

• New Resident
  • There is no life like a doll life.

Even a high quality flash with the best Gary Fong diffuser will still wash things out. Flash photography is one of the most challenging art forms. The guys on TV make it look so easy. Of course what there not showing is the hour or so worth of test shots they spent setting up the flash photo shoot.

My advice is not to use a flash at all. Doll can hold a pose for a really long time so a photo can simply be brightened with a long exposure. All you need is a tripod. Also be sure to either use a remote or the shutter delay. With long exposures even pushing a button on the camera can cause a slight vibration which will cause blurriness.

I've seen some great advice here, but I agree, sometimes natural light can be the perfect light. The lesson here is, always use the light that's directly available to you.
Even if it's the light coming from a smartphone or a little night lamp.
If you want to learn more about flash, here is a site everyone should know:
http://strobist.blogspot.be/2006/03/lighting-101.html

The strobist site has everything you ever need to know about flash: when to use it and when not to use it, how to use it (even with available daylight) and any special effects you can create with it.
Everything is explained in a well layed out manner and is very informative. Learned a lot from that guy.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
     Julian linked this article in the chat room:

Best Free High Dynamic Range (HDR) Software
Submitted by Photo Addict
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-high-dynamic-range-hdr-software.htm

"Imagine that you are inside a large Gothic cathedral, and the sunlight is streaming in from the windows on to a beautiful painting. You pull out your digital camera and take a photograph of the beautiful artwork on the church wall near one of the windows. You need not have bothered. Your digital photograph will be a flop. Either the painting will be dark and barely visible, or the window will appear as a glaring and dominant white area that is hardly recognizable as a window. Or both. The problem is not your camera. The problem is that the dynamic range of the scene exceeds what the camera is able to capture.

Since the birth of photography, photographers have attempted to increase the dynamic range that a photograph captures to recreate how our eyes see. A camera is able to capture a dynamic range of about 1:1,024 where the human eye is capable of seeing somewhere around 1:65,500. In the days of film, bridging this gap occurred in the darkroom. Today it occurs in the computer using a very nice program called HDR or High Dynamic Range."

See the article for the rest!

8) 8) 8)
 Your dreams come true"

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
 Your dreams come true"