Author Topic: What is needed to care for a silicone doll?  (Read 22277 times)

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
What is needed to care for a silicone doll?
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
I'm on a learning mission.

What materials, tools, skills are needed?

What are the do's and dont's of handling them?

Anything else that's important to know?

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
Re: What is needed to care for a silicone doll?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Ugh. Did it again. Please move this to "Maintenance".

Sorry for this, but something has really shook me up.

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Walking on the Bluegrass
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »
OK, depending on how you're getting the doll, new or used, there are some basic things that you will need.

First off, is a low stress place to store her! By low stress I mean a place where the doll can reside in as close to the pose it was in when it came out of the mold and without any hard pressure on any one spot. This could be a hanging position with pads between the body and arms and some type of padded leg spreader or a soft foam pad or mattress. Laying down will require a pad under the small of the back and under the knees to alleviate any pressure on the butt and avoid flattening.

Next, a cleaning kit of some sort for the doll's orifices. Most dolls come with this but a used (previously enjoyed) doll may not. Anything that squirts large volumes of water and a sponge on a stick or a bottle brush will do. Antibacterial liquid hand soap for a cleaning agent.

Some clear household silicone will be needed for the inevitable little nicks and scratches. For repair techniques consult ODC, as there is a plethora of skilled doll surgeons here to help.  ;)

If things go very bad, you may need a socket set (Consult the manufacturer for SAE or Metric), disposable razor knife, two-part silicone repair kit, staples, electrical tape, and a Dremel Motor Tool with assorted bits. Most people never need these.

A rolling office chair is indispensable for moving dolls. And always, plan your moves keeping in mind not to drag or ram the hands or feet into anything in the process. A woman will work with you to keep you from dropping her, a doll will not.

That should get you started.  8)

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
You'll also need one of these....
What's it for you may ask?  Well, granted it'll be a one time use only, but its been proven best for getting one's jaw off the floor when you first open the crate!  ;D :P

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
OK, depending on how you're getting the doll, new or used, there are some basic things that you will need.

First off, is a low stress place to store her! By low stress I mean a place where the doll can reside in as close to the pose it was in when it came out of the mold and without any hard pressure on any one spot. This could be a hanging position with pads between the body and arms and some type of padded leg spreader or a soft foam pad or mattress. Laying down will require a pad under the small of the back and under the knees to alleviate any pressure on the butt and avoid flattening.

Next, a cleaning kit of some sort for the doll's orifices. Most dolls come with this but a used (previously enjoyed) doll may not. Anything that squirts large volumes of water and a sponge on a stick or a bottle brush will do. Antibacterial liquid hand soap for a cleaning agent.

Some clear household silicone will be needed for the inevitable little nicks and scratches. For repair techniques consult ODC, as there is a plethora of skilled doll surgeons here to help.  ;)

If things go very bad, you may need a socket set (Consult the manufacturer for SAE or Metric), disposable razor knife, two-part silicone repair kit, staples, electrical tape, and a Dremel Motor Tool with assorted bits. Most people never need these.

A rolling office chair is indispensable for moving dolls. And always, plan your moves keeping in mind not to drag or ram the hands or feet into anything in the process. A woman will work with you to keep you from dropping her, a doll will not.

That should get you started.  8)

Mahtek & his Ladies

That's good info, thanks Mahtek.  :)

Some other things I'd want to know are how to avoid the dreaded "Finger pokes" if that is possible, how to dress a doll that weighs 100lb or so, no idea how flexible they are. Climate considerations- Poor Anna Mae was destroyed by being stored too close to a hot water heater, IIRC. Should they be kept away from windows, direct sunlight, etc. ? Should they be stored with any sort of clothing? Are there materials that damage silicone?

I'm sure I'll have a million other questions, please forgive me.

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »
Ok, serious this time ...

Relax.  Take a few deep breaths.  I know there are a jillion questions but seriously its not as bad as you think.   :)

1st... finger pokes.  on older Tin RDs its a fact of life so get used to it.  It can be avoid with careful movements.  Most of the time its due to the owner moving doll around the room and bumping the hand into a chair, table, or not watching where the hand is when putting her back down.  I carry my dolls bride style with the hands in the lap.  Now that still can give pokes due to the hands ending up in btwn the legs at times but mostly its not a huge deal.  Some people have put oven mittens on them before moving.  It all depends on what is easier for you while moving and then make adjustments as you see fit.  Some people have taken the wires out altogether even.

2nd.  Climate control.  yes prolly not a good idea to keep near a open heat vent during storage or anytime for that matter.  Sunshine?  They can take it.  Remember, many people heat their dolls with e-blankets so they can take a nice slow heat.  Most of silicone bleaching issues I heard were due to long term storage (weeks, months)and the sun beating on them constantly.  But taking her outside on a nice summer day is no problem as many people's pictures have shown.

3rd.  Clothing.  Yes they can be stored wearing clothing but make sure its nothing tight.  If you want figure showing clothing then anything thin and stretchy is your best bet.  You can put her in clothing that has straps or wires but only do so for a few hrs and even then it can be risky as the straps/wires can leave a indentation in the skin that will be a PITA to come out.  Lets just put it this way.  If its tight, then only for a short time (few hrs) and NEVER for storage.
  Most of the time clothing should be a size or so larger than what her measurements say is ok to fit.

At the end of the day its all on how you treat her.  They're not built for severe abusive use but they aren't 'one touch fall apart' either.  Most of the care is common sense and many times you find that you over-worried.  Just keep reading and asking questions.  Eventually, you'll be the one answering the next noobs care questions. :D

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »
Thanks Euchre- More good info.  ;D

I know nothing about these dolls, having only had inflates. The more I can learn, the better. They just look so delicate and fragile.

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »
Winston, a note or two about clothing / dressing,

one INDISPENSABLE item you'll need are pantyhose.  A pair of pantyhose on a doll makes dressing her so much easier.  Cloth doesn't slide on silicone very well, especially things like jeans and some dresses.  Stockings help greatly, but getting the clothes up over a doll's hips can still be challenging - hence pantyhose is better. 

As Euchre said, mittens, or even a pair of socks on a doll's hands helps reduce the 'finger damage', and helps dressing a doll by keeping her fingers together & safe when dealing with sleeves.   How I put on the socks  / start the hose, is to slip it on inside out over your hand, grab her fingers / toes, then roll the sock or hose off your hand and over onto the doll.  This makes it easier & helps minimize the chance of damage.

If possible, dress the doll while she's hanging on a stand.  *pantyhose first*  Most tops suitable for dolls can go on from the bottom up. 

Be cautious of close-necked tops, if you have to raise the dolls arms up to get it on, it may well damage her arm pits.  Also as Euchre said, watch out for anything with a wire in it : (Bra / corset).   For 'storage', lighter colors / loose fitting clothes are best to prevent possible staining or indentation of the doll's skin.  For storage position , lying down supported as Mahtek said, or hanging up is the only way to leave a doll for an extended period of time.

OH, and she'll need a jewelry box & makeup kit too  ;)

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »
 youre getting a lot of good advice here I'll show you a pic of how Sandy is stored when she's out of her closet for a few days,she dosnt wear that bra and panties though.:

And this is how she is stored in her closet, showing her wearing something that is safe for her to wear for weeks at a time.

The idea of keeping the legs and arms appart is to avoid creases in the crotch and underamrs. If creases remain for long they will eventullly lead to tears. Something I have learned too is to store her with her feet pointed inward a bit (rotate the legs at the hip joint) this will help alliviate creases in her butt.

the cushions are made of beanbag pillows. those are nice because they can be formed to fit
I also posted a thread on how I made Sandy a custom bra wich workes nicely. If made properly it can be worn for a very long time without worries of leaving dents.
http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1744.0

I allways dress Sandy while she's hainging.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Walking on the Bluegrass
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Regarding storing her in direct sunlight.

The warmth from the sun, good. The UV rays from the sun, not so much. Silicone is not the most UV resistant polymer that there is, that title belongs to urethane, and urethanes meant for outdoor use still have UV absorbant and reflectant chemicals added to their formula. These chemicals are often the most expensive part of the formulation, so I doubt that any manufacturer would be adding these to their silicone mix.

So I'd recommend not storing your doll in direct sunlight.

As for dressing your doll, it should be like a drinking game, "Bottoms up!".  :laugh: Try to find clothes that the doll could step into. V-neck tops work well, along with button up blouses. Lots of people split the backs of the tops and put in zippers or velcro. You'll never notice it in photos or face to face play.  ;)

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
Are Spandex bodysuits/ leotards and body stocking type things ok? They are "step into" things, but are tight-fitting.
Makeup is another one (told you, a million questions) regular face powder type stuff ok? Makeup remover-- What to use?

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »
the items you list are great! infact Sandy has a costume that wont go on unless I put her in a bodystocking first. they help in making form fitting clothes slide on and off.
Powder makup is best for blush, eyeshadow, retouching nipples etc. lipstick or preferabley brush on lip colour works well on the lips. Rinse of with mild soap and warm water..just be mindfull not to mess up the eyelashes.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »
Thanks for that, Ceej  :) Looks like I'm going to need some makeup classes from the wife. She's got some arsenal of makeups.

Musician

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Question for you Winston.

Are you looking at a doll already, and if so, is it tin cured or platinum cured?

That can make a big difference in some areas. For instance, you don't have to worry as much about the creasing and compression problem from sitting or laying in one position with a platinum cured silicone. Note that I said as much. It's always good to be thoughtful of such things.

Also, I can't add much beyond what has already been listed by those that know a lot more than I. However, I would point out that on clothing you should always wash any new clothes before you put them on the doll to get the excess dye out of them. If you don't get the excess dye out, the doll will, and that sucks! Especially black, or any dark colors. I also do not store Roselle in anything that is dark in color, just in case.

That washing the clothes first is really important though. You can get away with white without washing, but I do anyway usually.
My doll's name is Roselle. She is a Lovable Doll, made by Matt Krivicke. Makeup by Bronwen Keller.

WinstonSmith

• Sr. Resident
  • North Jersey, USA
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »
Question for you Winston.

Are you looking at a doll already, and if so, is it tin cured or platinum cured?

That can make a big difference in some areas. For instance, you don't have to worry as much about the creasing and compression problem from sitting or laying in one position with a platinum cured silicone. Note that I said as much. It's always good to be thoughtful of such things.

Also, I can't add much beyond what has already been listed by those that know a lot more than I. However, I would point out that on clothing you should always wash any new clothes before you put them on the doll to get the excess dye out of them. If you don't get the excess dye out, the doll will, and that sucks! Especially black, or any dark colors. I also do not store Roselle in anything that is dark in color, just in case.

That washing the clothes first is really important though. You can get away with white without washing, but I do anyway usually.

I'm not at liberty to say at the moment. All I can say is that something very wonderful is going to happen fairly soon and I'm trying very hard to be ready when it happens. Thanks for the tips on dark clothing, though.  8)