Author Topic: Superstrut for hanging Dolls  (Read 9840 times)

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
Superstrut for hanging Dolls
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
(Note: Thanks to Incred for letting me share in this project. Be sure to check out his blog @ Incredidoll )

A while back in Incred's basement (Think "That 70's Show")...

We were discussing a different method to hang dolls for shoots. We wanted something that would allow movement along a rail, Like an overhead trolley, or as simple as a curtain rod.

What started as a single rail, developed into an entire system. All of it using Superstrut... Which was purchased locally at a large chain home-improvement store. Found in the Electrical Dept.

Superstrut comes in 10 foot lengths and is less than $20 per piece. It is a steel U-channel, it's primary use is for mounting control boxes, conduit and various industrial systems.

The final idea was to attach the superstrut along the floor joists in the basement ceiling, approximately every 4Th joist, to provide a grid that would span the entire room. Then smaller length could be fastened across these "laterals", So that anything could be hung from them anywhere in the room.

In addition to the channel itself, There are some additional accessories that we made and that are manufactured by superstrut. Some products were available at the store, some were purchased online.

On to the photos...

This shows the profile of the channel. Incred drilled holes along the span on the perforated side, then drilled a countesink so the 1" flat head screws used to mount it to the joists would be flush. Also in this pic is a "capture nut" the nut can be inserted anywhere along the rail, and/or slid along the rail. The eyebolt is a 3/8-16 X 1 1/4 lifting eyebolt that I bought in quantity online.

The rail mounted in the ceiling. It is the same width as the joist. Note the countersunk screw.

The capture nut in the rail... this can slide along the rail.

Closeup detail of the nuts. They are rectangle so the can be put in the rail and spun if nessasary. The slots along the sides are what slides along the rail. The plastic cone hold the nut in place.

Here is a "Lateral" eye-bolted across the ceiling-mounted "Parallels"... See the potential ?

A Doll is hung from the eye-bolt... however, with another nut and eyebolt the doll could be mounted anywhere. Or the rail could be slid anywhere also.

2 Dolls...

More mounting detail.
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: Superstrut for hanging Dolls
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
The nice thing is you can hang the dolls just about anywhere in the room by either mounting them on a joist strut, or attach another strut across, and hang a doll in between.

Also the dolls can be on different struts and can slide along the strut once in place. Notice the three eyebolts. I can take one picture in one position. Then move them onto different eyes to get the same shot only now from the back where I couldn't before with the dolls tight to the wall. Also I have the same white background.

Also notice that not only can Jayde slide along the strut, but her modifier is held by a dog clip so she can spin 360* without unscrewing the eyebolt, or unclipping it.

It is important to mount the strut on the joists 4' apart because you attach the perpendicular strut with a eyebolt through the slotted holes on the back. One ten foot piece will span three joist struts, and give enough room for you and your buddy to hang out ^-^

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
Fantstic idea, Camp & Incredi!

Superstrut is also known as Kendorf, and comes in 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 inch thick pieces.  Kendorf has been used in the electrical field for many years, and the stuff is super strong. ;)

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:10:16 AM »
This is a pretty neat development. How well do the capture nuts allow for sliding with the girls haning from them? Do you need to lift them slightly to slide them? This is a really neat way for your dolls to be anywhere in the room.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »
KA; I've always known it by Unistrut. This stuff is Superstrut that I bought at Home Depot for about $15. for 10'. The height of this is 13/16" and 14 gauge. McMaster-Carr and Grangers sell it for about $24. http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-channel-systems/=bx0krk

Ceej; There is some good resistance with the doll on the hook maybe 15-20 lbs of pull. I found with the nut with the spring on the back would get hung up on the slots so I cut them off. The spring, like the plastic washer, is use to hold the nut in place while you screw in a bolt, otherwise when you push up to screw the bolt the nut would lift and spin. The nuts were not indented to be slid along the strut.

I like the idea of the resistance so I can lean the doll and she won't slide. When I took this picture of Dottie I had one hook holding her up and another holding her from falling forward. I could do the same with the strut, but would want to keep the rear hook from sliding.

Perry

• Sr. Resident
  • Movin' On
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
Cool thread, cool stuff, cool project.

Thank you for the added info, Incred.  I was wondering about the resistance to sliding too. 

Wow, you guy have really put together an incredible rig.  Way to go!

Thank you for adding value to this hobby.
Perry

Perry

• Sr. Resident
  • Movin' On
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
I wondered about the air hose.  Ok, now I get it.....!
Perry

phillip57

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Very good you guys!  When first I saw the pics, my first thought was that there must be ball bearings in the track, would that be to good to be true?
All things are relative.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
Very good you guys!  When first I saw the pics, my first thought was that there must be ball bearings in the track, would that be to good to be true?

No ball bearings...  The cone nuts can slide with little effort... The idea is to anchor the doll.

I suppose if someone made a ball-bearing trolley for this, Dottie could do some Zip-Lining !
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

siliconelover

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
I just wanted to say what a Great idea this was.

I also wanted to add for those interested that there is a system available that utilizes a four wheel trolly hanging mechanism that I have used in my business to hang Barn Doors and vehicle driveway doors in the city. It is available thru Grainger although you need a commercial account to purchase from them and Grainger is more expensive than other outlets.
DOLLS R MAN'S BEST FRIEND

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
  • Redheads Rule, just look !
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
The Graingers in my neck of the woods allows the public to purchase from them.  I think the key is to find them on line and set up your own account there, then proceed.  The last thing I bought from them was a huge roll of plastic sheeting to use for covering things.  Usually the quantities you have to buy on some things (like plastic sheeting) is larger than you ordinarily would buy at HD or anyplace else. 

FWIW, later

GP

PlayKate404

• Doll Manufacturer
  • New Resident
  • Mechadoll Representative
    • Mechadollusa.com
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »
Great system.  These types of systems are paramount for the full doll experience.  Great job camp.
Check us out at:
mechadoll.com
mechadollusa.com
Worldwide shipping available
Please contact me for special promotions for forum members