Author Topic: Dottie's Hip Operation. Installing a new hip joint.  (Read 13253 times)

Fuzzy78

• Sr. Resident
Re: Dottie's Hip Operation. Installing a new hip joint.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
great job hope she recovers well

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »
Here are some more pictures that Camp and I took of Dottie's operation;

These hips can break in a couple ways. One is the finger part of the metal bends and breaks, or in Dottie's case the glue/epoxy breaks down, and the inner plastic/metal core slides out.

In the above picture this is how we found her hanging. Temporarily I put the leg back into the hip until we could work on her. 

In this picture you can see the part I'm holding goes into the hip, and the bolt attaches to the top of the leg. You will need pliers to get the bolt out.

Even though it has a nyloc nut I still used blue loctite. It's strong enough to hold the nut, but can still be taken apart with wrenches if for some reason it does need to be tightened or taken apart.

When closing up use a stick to make sure the adhesive gets spread everywhere the silicone was cut/torn. Temporarily close the wound and work the adhesive around to help spread it.

Next move the leg so the wound will just stay closed up on its own, and work any excess adhesive out and wipe off. Try not to put to much adhesive near the surface or you will get a clear line or gap. You can always add more later. Work both sides  of the cut so it is tight and level so you will get a thin line like this;

After three hours it's time to punch out.

click for album

jihandelle

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 05:49:24 AM »
great job and the new seam line is not visible.
Working through the crotch's cut seems more easy than through the leg's seam, if you would have the other hip to repair without a crotch's tear : would you chose to cut the crotch yourself, or to cut the seamline of the leg/hip ?

-- ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX --

oldjacket

• New Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
Dottie couldn't be in better hands with you two doing the surgery.  Great job on the pelvic area. I don't notice a thing especially since my eyes tend to wonder to the beautiful thing in the centre anyways.    :o

Those replacement hip joints from Mech are great, should never have a problem with them.

Cheers,
OJ

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
great job and the new seam line is not visible.
Working through the crotch's cut seems more easy than through the leg's seam, if you would have the other hip to repair without a crotch's tear : would you chose to cut the crotch yourself, or to cut the seam line of the leg/hip ?

I would do both. The hip itself is easiest through the crotch, but the top of the leg is closer to the outside of the hip. Reaching the top of the leg from the crotch tore the silicone quite a bit.  Hiding the scar is best in just the crotch area, and along the outer leg seam.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »

Those replacement hip joints from Mech are great, should never have a problem with them.

Cheers,
OJ

Mechwizard has made an awesome piece, and will out live us all never mind the doll. Unfortunately I don't think he is making them anymore because they are expensive to make.

However Abyss makes a replacement hip now that looks strong enough. I have not heard of any braking since 2007. If you need to replace a hip on a 2006 doll now you might have to think is it worth it. You might be better off to look for a used Platinum body, or even a new one, or RD2. 

Ceilidh is a 2005 doll with the steal hips, but she tears now if I look at her wrong. She is body snatching once in awhile, and may use another B5 after I do another hip repair on that body. The long term goal now is to see what the new body D looks like for a swap.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 02:26:03 AM »
     Does anyone know if MechWizard, or the fellow that he worked with, has the patent on these hip joints? If not, they should, and if they do, they should find someone who can mass-produce them under license. Otherwise they might think about selling the patent to a machine shop owner in the UK or the United States. Shipping from Austrailia probably adds a lot to the cost.

-end-
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
Congratulations on the repair.
You guys are pretty experienced and impressive.

Can you advise is it better to ............ sorry jihandelle asked the question. Thanks for answer but I am wondering if two cuts, basically at 90 degrees to one another, will make it more difficult to close up neatly.

Here's hoping you are right about the post 2007 remark and it stays that way.

Cheers

muz
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

plastik23

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
I think we need to add the letters, "MD" behind both of your names.  Amazing repair work.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »

I am wondering if two cuts, basically at 90 degrees to one another, will make it more difficult to close up neatly.

Here's hoping you are right about the post 2007 remark and it stays that way.

Cheers

muz

Hi Muzza,

The newer Abyss adhesive is quick drying, so I would just glue one cut at a time. I would move the leg into a position that the cut would stay closed on its own, then hold the cut closed for about ten minutes while it sets up. After about 1/2 hour you can glue the other cut.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
  • Redheads Rule, just look !
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »
I'd like to add my RealDoll B-10 issues to this thread since I'm about to close up an incision about 17 inch's long along the outside seam of her right leg (from the waist down to the halfway point of her thigh) after I had to replace the pelvic hip-to-leg (femur) joint assembly.  Abyss sent me a new replacement joint assembly for free, with a silicone repair kit if I would send the broken one to them for their evaluation and of course, I was glad to do that.  As I progressed along with the "surgery", Matt and Steve at Abyss were there over the phone whenever I needed along with email when necessary.  I will upload some pix of my initial progress and try to get some more as I close, but I've already started with closing before I found this sequence of hip joint replacement repairs.  I'm mighty glad I found these notes, and they will help me feel more confident about what I'm doing for the first time.

The other issue I have had, rather, the first issue, was when I hung the doll on the stand for a few days, went to look at it one day and saw that it apparently "grew taller"  (or stretched)  by a few inch's.  This was horrifying, because with what we pay for these dolls, they shouldn't start falling apart only a year or two after purchase unless they're subjected to extreme abuse......................RIGHT ?  Anyway, I called Abyss and might add that I was quite hot on my initial email with Amanda at Abyss customer service.  But she got back to me right away and after bouncing this issue off Matt, he decided that I should ship the doll back to Abyss, after carefully repacking it into it's crate that it came in, and Abyss would pay for and arrange for shipping both ways, as well as make the repairs complimentary.  After the doll was repaired at Abyss with a newer more robust version of the "lower spinal-to-pelvic joint", they shipped it back and as I said, for no charge.  Truly outstanding customer service by Abyss.  I love those people.  They're always there to help.  Apparently these heavier dolls like the B-10's (110 lbs), I'm told by Amanda have had a few other problems just like this and they wanted to make it right, and did.  But that's history now and I'm told by Matt that I should never have another problem with the doll's back.  I hope so !

Getting back to issue at hand, the doll's hip-to-femur joint failing, if I have to do it again I will at least have had a familiarisation with the procedures to get at the joint.  On this doll, it's not an easy task to remove the old joint because it mounts to the pelvic frame from the inside of the frame, thus you must "dig" out some of the flexi-foam padding around the joint before you can get it to push through to the inside and then come around the frame for removal.  To say that this part of the procedure is a bitch, is an understatement, but I'm not a RealDoll mechanic/surgeon, only just becoming one.  Having said all that, I would add that I went at this from the outside thigh to the waist and had to work around it all but I can't see how this could be done any other way, and that's the way Matt and Steve told me to do it and it worked.

If I was more experienced with doing these repairs as well as working with silicone, then I would try to offer advice but I know better than to do that, after all, I came here seeking advice by reading about other people's experiences.  This forum is a great resource for that (so is TDF), and as I go along towards completion of my repairs, I'll add to this if I have anything relevent for you all.

I've had some real structural failures with this doll, and would like to reiderate at this point that the doll has never been abused or dropped, and only used by me for sex with her on her back, sans the acrobatics !

Thanks to all, and keep the information coming.  I've attached four pix, hope they load up.

GP

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
Great job incred and Camp and thank you for sharing!

These repair instructions with pictures and comments are priceless when you are going to do this type of repair.

I have it book marked for future reference.

ODC is a great place to learn about dolls as well as learn how to care for and repair them!

Several members here have taught me a lot about dolls I did not know.

Thank you all so much!

Coral
Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your doll's hip problem. I'm curently working on my doll's hip replacent too.  Good luck with yours...shes a beauty too.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
  • Redheads Rule, just look !
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
yeah, she's hot and I love her.  What sort of repair are you having to do ?  Did you get a replacement joint from Abyss or is your doll another make ?

GP

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »
Sandy is also a Realdoll, and Ceej is making a set of stainless steel hips like the one that is in Dottie; http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=3433.0

I see your hip problem is the other type where the metal fingers break. Dottie, and Sandy have the glue failure problem.

I am doing another hip repair now with Abyss hips however she is one of the first to use the "newer" style hip, and the hip bracket hole is smaller than the "later" version. This means Camp held open the hip while I used a die grinder to open the bracket. 

It is better to open the metal bracket than to turn down the plastic joint for strength reasons, and for future repair reasons (if necessary)
The plastic and metal hips are the same size, but I'm saving the last metal hip for Dottie's other side. Same thing, I wouldn't turn down the metal one for strength reasons.