Author Topic: Dottie's Hip Operation. Installing a new hip joint.  (Read 13274 times)

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: Dottie's Hip Operation. Installing a new hip joint.
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:52 AM »
great job and the new seam line is not visible.
Working through the crotch's cut seems more easy than through the leg's seam, if you would have the other hip to repair without a crotch's tear : would you chose to cut the crotch yourself, or to cut the seam line of the leg/hip ?

I would do both. The hip itself is easiest through the crotch, but the top of the leg is closer to the outside of the hip. Reaching the top of the leg from the crotch tore the silicone quite a bit.  Hiding the scar is best in just the crotch area, and along the outer leg seam.

Time to do her right hip, and I used this above method;

First thing is to get her good and drunk;

(It is convenient that the operating table is the bar  ;) )

I started by going in at the crotch. She was starting a compression tear so I would have to glue a fill that area anyways.
While I was there I pulled out the protective cap, and then could see that the hip had separated.

The next cut is the along the outer seam. I tried something a bit different by making a shallow cut about 45*
then cut straight in the rest of the way. The idea would be to lessen the glue line. There were two problems doing this.
1, I couldn't get a clean cut, and 2, while working on the hip the fine silicone edge kept getting torn.

Next is to remove the old joint by unscrewing the 4 screws, and taking out the plastic ring.
You can also see where we found the leg part of the joint.

From the crotch side pull out the other half. You can use big pliers, or just hit with something to knock it free.
While there put in the new metal piece.

Now that the hip part is out it's time to take the leg apart;

Now put the new hip part in and screw it together with the inner ring. Then line up the leg and hip holes for the bolt;

When putting the bolt through also put two washers in the middle of the fingers as spacers. (in the black slot)

Move to the crotch side, and put the nut and washer on, with Loctite, then tighten.
Lift the leg to get a feel for how much to tighten the nut;

Note; If you are using an Abyss hip then skip this last step. Also the Abyss hip doesn't use the small outer ring.
You will have to install it complete through the crotch then use the screws against the hip bracket.

Now you are ready to glue her together. Start with the outer seam, and just glue the deeper part to about a 1/4" from the surface. Align the cut so it closes by itself, and use cling wrap to hold it closed. do only one cut at a time.

Afterwards mix up some 2 part to finish the job. I'd show pictures but haven't got that far yet  :whistle:

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
  • Redheads Rule, just look !
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »
Incred,

I'm a little behind the times on RD hip joint replacements, and just noticed when I read this last post that your new hip joints are like those that were made by a certain machinist down under.  I forget his name, but I did contact him way back when I engaged in Lisa's hip replacements and he wasn't in the business of making those joints anymore.  So I ask you, did you get these newer joints back when they were available or did you make them yourself ?  Since I think you are a machinist of sorts, it wouldn't surprise me if you made these that you used on Dottie and/or make more available.

GP

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
These are Mechwizard hips. Camp bought them back when we did the first hip, needing one, and figuring the other wasn't far behind.
Since then I made a drawing and sent it to another member to replicate in aluminum and stainless. I could make them, but I don't really have the time. I ended up using them in Ceilidh too.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
These are Mechwizard hips. Camp bought them back when we did the first hip, needing one, and figuring the other wasn't far behind.
Since then I made a drawing and sent it to another member to replicate in aluminum and stainless. I could make them, but I don't really have the time. I ended up using them in Ceilidh too.

Thanks Incred.

GP

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
Here are drawings of the hip joint. note you could make them in Standard.

http://incredidoll.com/gallery3/index.php/Hip-Operation/Hip-Joint-002a

Well thanks again Incred,

Those drawings will come in handy if I ever think about having some made.  I don't own a lathe or a vertical mill, nor do I know how to use them.  It would be nice to have those skills and that equipment though.  I see that you have both the SS and Aluminum joints there.  I assume the best option is SS, right, and just for future reference, I downloaded the pix of those joints.

Happy day after Thanksgiving, and Merry Christmas.

GP

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
Aluminum is strong enough for the two large bolt-together pieces. (Its lighter too)
The center pin is what needs to be stainless.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
The aluminum is just the outer part. The center rod where the leg attaches is stainless steel with a nylon bushing. Aluminum is more for ease of machining. strength and weight savings is not really a factor, but helps a little.

The original joints are plastic. It is the glue that fails not the plastic, and sometimes the metal fingers. The new one is solid stainless instead of fingers. So far the fingers on the leg part haven't been a problem, but will fix that too if need be.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
The aluminum is just the outer part. The center rod where the leg attaches is stainless steel with a nylon bushing. Aluminum is more for ease of machining. strength and weight savings is not really a factor, but helps a little.

The original joints are plastic. It is the glue that fails not the plastic, and sometimes the metal fingers. The new one is solid stainless instead of fingers. So far the fingers on the leg part haven't been a problem, but will fix that too if need be.

Okay, I understand and thanks CEEJ and Incred.  If you look at my posts during repair of Lisa, her hip joints are a bit different than Dottie's.  Dottie's older, Lisa is a 2008/09 model after, I think, Abyss began using Platinum Sil.  I would opt to change the entire hip-to-leg mechanism (from the hip joint to the thigh insert) in order to avoid those weak "finger/leaves".  If I could do that, it might be worth restoring Lisa, but at present, she's just a static display that's made of a blend of Platinum Sil. that cracks too easily when bent or stretched.  I've found that this blend has more of a tolerance to stretching in the crotch areas if heated with a heating blanket, but still doesn't stretch well.....only a little better.  I wish I never bought her.  But I still love to look at her.....she's got great tits !

ShopHotDolls

• New Resident
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »
Amazing job, congratulations and well done ! :redhead:

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
WOW! That was really a labor of love! From the looks of Dottie it was well worth it.

ShopHotDolls

• New Resident
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »
I just read about your Doll recent surgery. I'm relieved that everything went well

great job and the new seam line is not visible.
Working through the crotch's cut seems more easy than through the leg's seam, if you would have the other hip to repair without a crotch's tear : would you chose to cut the crotch yourself, or to cut the seam line of the leg/hip ?

I would do both. The hip itself is easiest through the crotch, but the top of the leg is closer to the outside of the hip. Reaching the top of the leg from the crotch tore the silicone quite a bit.  Hiding the scar is best in just the crotch area, and along the outer leg seam.

Time to do her right hip, and I used this above method;

First thing is to get her good and drunk;

(It is convenient that the operating table is the bar  ;) )

I started by going in at the crotch. She was starting a compression tear so I would have to glue a fill that area anyways.
While I was there I pulled out the protective cap, and then could see that the hip had separated.

The next cut is the along the outer seam. I tried something a bit different by making a shallow cut about 45*
then cut straight in the rest of the way. The idea would be to lessen the glue line. There were two problems doing this.
1, I couldn't get a clean cut, and 2, while working on the hip the fine silicone edge kept getting torn.

Next is to remove the old joint by unscrewing the 4 screws, and taking out the plastic ring.
You can also see where we found the leg part of the joint.

From the crotch side pull out the other half. You can use big pliers, or just hit with something to knock it free.
While there put in the new metal piece.

Now that the hip part is out it's time to take the leg apart;

Now put the new hip part in and screw it together with the inner ring. Then line up the leg and hip holes for the bolt;

When putting the bolt through also put two washers in the middle of the fingers as spacers. (in the black slot)

Move to the crotch side, and put the nut and washer on, with Loctite, then tighten.
Lift the leg to get a feel for how much to tighten the nut;

Note; If you are using an Abyss hip then skip this last step. Also the Abyss hip doesn't use the small outer ring.
You will have to install it complete through the crotch then use the screws against the hip bracket.

Now you are ready to glue her together. Start with the outer seam, and just glue the deeper part to about a 1/4" from the surface. Align the cut so it closes by itself, and use cling wrap to hold it closed. do only one cut at a time.

Afterwards mix up some 2 part to finish the job. I'd show pictures but haven't got that far yet  :whistle:

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
Thank you ShopHotDolls.

You bumped this on July 30, and again today.

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

Aaron

• New Resident
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
Great work
the highest quality sex love doll in xosexdoll.