Author Topic: An Anime Thread, MK II  (Read 94440 times)

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
Re: An Anime Thread, MK II
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
Amusing to me to see Macross: Do You Remember Love mentioned here.

I am watching it right now as I type this. Misa and Hikaru just escaped.
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

PBShelley

• Resident
    • Alastor's Reflection--->Unbound.org
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 11:42:26 PM »
Wow, synchronicity in action!!!  8)

And yeah Keith, I had second thoughts about that sentence structure but figured (a) what the hell we're all amongst friends here and (b) the final phrase does refer back to the noun/object that precedes it  :P
Still, kinda clumsy  :laugh:

Back to writing up my "Serial Experiments Lain" blog post; anyone seen this truly unique anime? Should be done tonight/tomorrow  ;)

litlluvr

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »
Hey PBS!! Wanted to let you know that Moribito showed
it's last episode early morning here Sunday (12/20/09).
There wasn't really any dramatic happenings. The episode
mainly dealt with all of the "loose ends" and with Prince
Chagun finally being reunited with his Mother and his Father,
the Mikado.

There were some moments that gave you a "Sinking"
feeling, but each of the main characters had a "logical"
conclusion to their storylines (lives...).

The last scene shows Bolsa walking out of the city's gates
with a straw hat on as it starts to rain...

I'm hoping that possibly this series might continue. I enjoyed
it very much!!

Take care!! litlluvr, Yoshe, And hoping soon...Amiko.

PBShelley

• Resident
    • Alastor's Reflection--->Unbound.org
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »
Hey litl,

Thanks for the heads up! Now that the series is done I might check it out  8)

Fall '09 will be wrapping up soon, and before Winter '10 begins I might just need a "filler" to marathon. It's gonna take awhile to get all the Monster episodes anyway.

Recently watched Kara no Kyoukai (aka Garden of Sinners) movie #7, and wow... they wrapped everything up very nicely! Except for a glaring piece of plot that didn't sit well with me (an unlikely "LSD/Marijuana 'cocktail'")  it was an awesome experience  8) Hopefully these will come to the U.S. in some sort of bargain package deal, but I don't recommend holding breaths over it  :P

~PBS

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 12:16:38 PM »
Just for grins, last night I started watching Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory again. Dang I love that short series!

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »
I found a cute anime.. Rosario+vampire.  There is nothing I would call 'super' about it, it's just a cute, silly anime that is fun to watch... with PLENTY of girls  ;D

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
I read a bit by PBShelley on Davecat's blog about Chobits, in which he mentioned a story book; the cartoon within the cartoon. For some reason it made me take a look.

As soon as Chi first spoke ("Chi?") I had to watch the whole 24 episodes, which I did over the four days spanning Xmas. This animation is the cutest thing in the world. As well as exploring the difficulties and potentials of this kind of artificial companion, it is really funny in parts. At one point after they have all been swotting all night (the chief male character is a student -- and, boy, do these guys take studying seriously!) the wake up alarm is triggered in a mini persocom lent to him, and she launches into her routine of leading everyone in strenuous morning exercices. At which point a second mini persocom, which has also be loaned to him, turns to the camera and says, "What is the matter with these people?"

Here is the girl who is the voice of Chi, who also sings the ending theme to most episodes:
Rie Tanaka - Ningyohime Chobits Ending music video on Youtube. Looks like everybody was indoors (with it) while this was being fimed. (How did they manage that?)

I am part way through watching Elfen Lied (Elf Song -- the intro tune is sung in Latin), a much darker tale of a viral genetic engineering experiment gone wrong. (It is fantasy rather than the sci-fi of Chobits.) Again, ultra cute young women and girls with big eyes are the main draw in this tale that explores schizophrenia and other extreme states along with just plain old miscommunication and its sometimes dire results.

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
Yes, Everhard, CHobits is one of my favorites!

Elfen Lied is awsome, but if you're not rhough it yet, get the crying towel ready.... ;)

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
I got to the end of Elfen Lied and, yeah, it really has an emotional ending. Like Chobits, it highlights real issues of humanity. My favorite character is Director Kurama. (Of course, I like the girls more, but in a different way.) Even from the start, you know he is not a total psycopath, although there is no outward evidence to the contrary (until a bit farther into the story when he gives a fatal injection to one of his girls). It is very cleverly done.

Anime fan art web site

There are many variations of the theme tune available on Youtube. Here is one I particularly like:
Elfen Lied - Lilium Choir Interpretation Youtube video (hand held)

You have to ask yourself if you love your only daughter enough to agree to having explosives surgically implanted into her--and what unwritten clause that agreement would include.
 :'(

The final scene (at night on the highway by the beach) brings in the male voice choir version of the song to extraordinary effect, in my view.

Here is an instrumental duet that embodies the anguish of the story...
Violin: Ayako Ishikawa
Piano: Marcello Maio
-- in concert, in Sydney, Australia, 2006:
Piano Stories IV 2006 [Eminence] - Lilium Youtube video
Update: Eminence Symphony Orchestra specializes in anime music. Ayako Ishikawa* was frequently a special guest during that period. Incidentally, I read that Marcello Maio had less than 24 hours to practice all the pieces for that concert. The original pianist who was supposed to be playing walked out on Eminence a day before.

* Not to be confused with Miss Shirakawa in Elfen Lied...

Elfen Lied from Wikipedia

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
Well I must say I am a card carrying Otaku, and have a ferocious appetite for Manga, averaging 3 books and a magazine a week. I have two bookcases full and have run out of space. I do have a lot of Anime, but the last was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I tend to buy Manga/Anime for the fan service factor and sometimes end up with a good story, like Suzumiya. Lately I have been getting back into Cosplay with the dolls. I'm just finishing up a school girl costume from To Heart2. Ceilidh looks amazing. Now I am starting on Yoko from Gurren Lagann. It is also amazing what you can find on ebay/internet. Here is a picture I did for Halloween. It is Yoshi playing Asuka from Evangelion in both her school uniform and plugsuit.

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »
Well, I tried The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (anime dubbed in English) and I made it only part way through the first episode. Maybe there aren't enough severed limbs or something.

Meanwhile, I took a couple of photos of Rebecca today and I pinched some lines from Lilium for the caption of this one:

Lilium

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »
 :D Very nice, Everhard!!!

BTW, Lilium is Nicky's favorite song.  Must be she relates to Lucy somehow...

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
One of these days soon, I'm going to have to actually start watching Anime for real again. I've got a ton waiting for me to watch. I just need to sit down and do it.

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 05:19:53 PM »
I had a feeling the backdrops in Elfen Lied are just too detailed to be made up. Guess what? It is a real place and the satellite photos even show the markings on the coast highway, including the road bridge. More photos taken by people on the ground show the colored brickwork of the footbridge...

From Wikipedia:
Enoshima ... is a small island, about 4 km in circumference, at the mouth of the Katase River, which flows into Sagami Bay in Japan. Part of the city of Fujisawa, it is linked to the Katase section of the same city on the mainland by a 600 meter-long bridge. Adjacent to the closest beach to Tokyo and Yokohama, the island and the nearby coast are the hub of a popular resort area.

One Elfen Lied enthusiast went there and took photos:
http://punynari.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/enoshima/

More photos of the real place:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/25735014

From the top of the tower, at the base of which the fight between Mariko and Lucy was enacted:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/924247

"Let the monsters fight among themselves." I assume the upward-pointing floodlights among the big steel girders illuminate this structure:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17417723
Director Kurama spoke to the man holding the remote trigger to detonate the explosives: "Whenever you're ready."
He starts back across the bridge. Unlike Lucy's approach on the main road, Kurama carried Mariko over the footbridge that parrallels the road bridge.

Google Maps view
Not sure what the research institute actually does...

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
 :o WOW everhard, that is so cool! 
Good info, thank you for sharing!