Author Topic: Sinthetic 1H neck and knee repair  (Read 7687 times)

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
Sinthetic 1H neck and knee repair
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »
In the first instance always contact the manufacturer first before doing anything!

I must be the clumsiest doll owner in the world, I have now broken Mirabels neck and knee!

Ever since I have had dolls I have always used a winch aka . a block and tackle to lift , move and pose my dolls.
When lifting Mirabel up from a sitting position on the floor there was a nasty craaaack sound and she slumped down , I just caught her in time to prevent her crashing to the floor....!

As for the knee I am not quite sure how that happened , I was just readjusting the leg against a very stiff joint when again that ominous sound , craaaack happened and the lower leg went all floppy!

So out came the knife to slice open Mirabel, I hate doing this, I always have to cover them up except for the area to be sliced open.

Well this is what I found..................................... :o

You can see the lifting bolt is bent, as she is second hand this must of happened with the previous owner as I have never dropped her to cause this damage.
I can only assume this fractured the plastic  which was then finished off by me lifting her by the neck bolt..

Edit; also think about 80 lbs of doll hanging from less than an inch of plastic tube previously weakened by drilling a hole in it, not surprising it broke.
A lot of weight and leverage on a small piece of tube !

Looking down the neck there is a cross or cruciform plastic pipe  connector made by Dura as can be seen in the photo.
Also you can see the bolt which holds the plastic spine tube into the lower part of the cruciform.

So how best to repair this without having to replace the cruciform which would mean a huge incision in her back?
Well having had success using polyurethane resin in another repair I decided to use this method on Mirabel.

The neck assembly is a lovely piece of work, the strongest and most well made item  but how to fix it back.
my solution was to drill out the base of the assembly and  tap a thread into it .
This accepted a specially prepared bolt which had been modified to allow resin to flow past it into the cruciform and down into the spine tube.

A drawing to try and explain it better.

So Mirabel was placed in a nice comfortable sitting position  and the resin poured into the spine tube all the way up into the cruciform and the neck assembly then pushed in and positioned until the resin cured.
Now if your attempting a similar repair you need to get set up with trial runs first, the reason being the resin cures hard in three minutes !
There was no need to score the plastic as I figured that the  resin  had completely filled the spine tube encapsulating the bolt and flowing into the cruciform making a good solid repair.

Believe me this off cut off studding is really solid in the resin, even a hammer would not shift it !

So that's how I did it !

This is my idea not approved by the manufacturers and if followed is entirely at your own risk ,  but it worked for me .    :)

Now to the knee repair.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looking closely at the fracture it looks as if the break occurred in two stages by the colouring of the break.

The method I used to repair this is covered in a thread where I repaired the back joint in the LD.
This can be read here  http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=4327.0 to save covering the subject twice.

Here is the component I made ready for the plastic leg tube, this had resin again all the way down to the hip connection and was then pushed into place.
The knee was then reconnected and the wound closed up with silicone glue.

As Mirabel has been sliced open twice now I also decided to open up her lower back to release the very tight back joint.
When trying to move her the joint made increasingly loud binding and grating noises , making me worry that if not released more breakages to the plastic tubes could occur.
It is a very simple thing to do with only a very small incision.
Her back now moves smoothly and progressively without sounds of creaks and groans.

I am greatly relieved as is Mirabel ....  :laugh:

for album click the pic

Andy_J

• Resident
Re: Sinthetic "Mirabel" 1H neck and knee repair
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
Wow, very brave! Well done!
I hope I will never have to do something like this.  :o

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
I think I am the worst person in the world for breaking dolls... its embarrassing . :-[

I'm sure these breakages are very,very rare , Ive come to  the conclusion now that I should not be allowed dolls, I cannot seem to play nicely.
for album click the pic

Bluemouse

• Sr. Resident
  • Germany / NRW
    • Tenshi on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
...resin poured into the spine tube all the way up into the cruciform and the neck assembly then pushed in and positioned until the resin cured.
Great Idea  :)

And again, I learn something about the unpleasant combination
of potential vulnerabilities and wrong handling of the dolls.

Thank you,  Dr. Rentell   ;D

Tenshi Katana is a Sinthetics Kimiko 1B
Galleries: http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12574

Spelling mistakes (or errors in translation) are the author intended. They serve only to check the attention and for the general entertainment. Anyone who finds a... may keep him.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
I think I am the worst person in the world for breaking dolls... its embarrassing . :-[

I'm sure these breakages are very,very rare , Ive come to  the conclusion now that I should not be allowed dolls, I cannot seem to play nicely.

Yes Ray, you are terrible...  ;)  Perhaps Betty should come live with me...  :D

(Just Kidding)
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

dave7311

• Sr. Resident
  • Valerie:" I don't mind you fart or snore.. hehehe!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
 :o Thank You 4 sharing Ray! (pics and pertaining are awesome!)
The skeleton is still based on the 4woods. I need tighten my dollies neck and was told to enter thru top (by Matt K.), but have not done yet. Cuting thru back sure makes sense and easier to access nuts & bolts, plus not visible anyway (wig covers itl)
I have read that using dish detergent makes cut more precise and easier to close without scars.
(staples help in holding together & no marks or other)
Interesting to see how neck bolt is in place, but wont attempt it. Val is just fine in her 'executive chair' or in our bed!

'Long Live Dollies!!!' 8)
dave7311 & Valerie

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:25:33 AM »
I must be the clumsiest doll owner in the world
- or perhaps a little unlucky.
Ray, it is a very fine line between an incident which results in some damage and an incident which is damage free.
All my girls live on the 'edge', just as I have done in one thing or another most of my life.

While I know it goes against your principles I would love to see the skin / scar post repair for both neck and knee - the LD back too.
'Don't ask'  ???

muz
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:23:33 AM »
Bluemouse I'm sure you will never need the info in this thread but if you do then you know help is at hand from the maker (Dad & Mum... LOL) or from ODC members.
You are not alone in the doll world.
As I said I think the breakages are very rare.

Perhaps Betty should come live with me...  :D
(Just Kidding)

Only if Dottie comes to stay with me.... :D :laugh: :D

dave7311
Yes, dish soap on knife and skin to make those cuts smooth and neat.
Also staples are now outmoded, have a look at Jesse1965 post about his incredible renovation of Heather, he  and others now use electrical tape and clingfilm (saron wrap) to close wounds.
I had thought about using velcro or magnetic catches  on the neck wound , like you I will probably not want to close up completely so that I still have access to the neck bolts, they allways need "nipping" up now and then.

Cheers Muzza for being understanding, you have been there too and far to frequently as well and DON'T ASK just makes me want to know now.
Another repair thread?
After all I have only had to repair five Abyss hips, three Abyss broken backs, four Abyss knees, one LD back, Sin knee and neck plus all the other little nips and tears associated with the pleasure of owning dolls.
Will they ever be Ray  proof?

As you know my closures are not that good but lately I have had lots of practice!
The knee has been closed leaving a small opening to be filled with tinted silicone when the tint arrives from Mum & Dad's (LOL) workshop along with new labia's etc.
The other wounds are left open for now to monitor the repairs and to adjust tightness of the joints if needed.
But yes, I will put photos up eventually .
In my old trade if you wanted to disguise something you used to make it more obvious, I have plans for the scars, wait and see. :)

for album click the pic

Fuzzy78

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
man ray you got nerves of steal, i would have freaked out! good job on the repairs. if i ever have to do repairs on my 2d, i am really not looking forward to them.

i hope some day sinthetics go for a carbonfibre skeleton but i can understand that would be really expensive ((if it were an option i would be wiling to pay for an "upgraded skeleton, provided i wouldn't need to take out a mortgage to pay for it)

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »
Yes maybe b-zilla the day will come when dolls will be stronger than us.... and probably animated, theres a thought.

I have to say that seeing Mirabels joints (sounds rude!) the industry has advanced , they are works of art and would appear to be bullet proof, nice bit of design and engineering.
for album click the pic

mytime

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:19:27 PM »
Ray Rentell wrote

After all I have only had to repair five Abyss hips, three Abyss broken backs, four Abyss knees, one LD back, Sin knee and neck plus all the other little nips and tears associated with the pleasure of owning dolls.
Will they ever be Ray  proof?

Ray, I understand that you are not amused by having to do so much repairs.
Although I believe Sinth does take a lot attention in the construction of their skeletons, till now e.g. little failure, doll skeletons seem to be prone to failure. The origin of the trouble has probably to do the wish to have the skeleton light so the whole doll is light.
I think too Sinth learns from the stuff you put, and may look into ways to improve the parts that did fail in your doll so maybe once we get Ray proof dolls...

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
Doll community member since april 2003, doll owner since august 2004

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:03 PM »
Looks like your doing a great job there Ray. That epoxy resin in the neck should be good and strong. I have had no issues with Myffy and she hangs in there most of the time. The resin fills the cross and relies only on the resin to hold the neck post in.

Another thing that will help in the clean up would be to start with cling wrap around the cut.
Actually while operating on Ceilidh's back and hips I needed to wrap nearly the whole doll ;)

D-Lamonene is excellent for clean up.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »
Cheers Incred, looks like your quite dedicated to the "doll hobby" to me!

Yes , the resin appears to have done the trick, what great stuff and so easy to do, thanks for the tip ;)

I forgot the cling film, its not to bad with a newish doll , you do not get all the black metal dust in the wounds.
From experience a good wash down in the shower then a in a few days the marks disappear.
We do not get a lot of products of yours over here, I will do a local search for D-limonene, it can be for thinning as well can it not.(and it has that lovely perfume of new dolls)

Ceej very kindly sent me a tube of the caulking plus theres will be one in the kit from Sinthetics, hopefully I will not need anymore than that for now..... two tubes ,three dolls,if I need more I will give a shout ,Cheers.

Mytime, I am always available to the manufacturer's to be there new doll tester  :laugh: if its Ray Rentell proof its good to go ......  :laugh:

Thanks yes I would like another glass of polyurethane resin please.

Ray Rentell, available as doll tester, all dolls tested to ISO 82183 specification, satisfaction guaranteed
for album click the pic

Tenshi Katana

• Doll Account
  • New Resident
  • Owner: Bluemouse
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
Ray Rentell, available as doll tester, all dolls tested to ISO 82183 specification, satisfaction guaranteed

That's only half the truth, guys!

There is a secret competition among the dolls manufacturers "Who builds the most durable doll?"
All sent their prototype to the test center by Dr. Rentell. So far, none of the dolls have survived!  :o
Mom and Dad were going also to send me there. Thereupon I began a hunger strike!  :-X

(Picture by bluemouse)

Now seriously:
I admire your work Ray  :D
And I am pleased that you take care of my sister who was treated so evil.
You bring her back into a better life. For that I love you  :-*

Tenshi
Tenshi Katana

Not call me doll!
I'm in ODC - so I am.
Sinthetics 1B: Kimiko head, dolce skin tone, beauty marks and freckles,
custom bikini tan lines, breasts enlargement, gel buttocks, soft thighs, insert,
custome make-up, Samurai sword! (Sword not aviable from Sinthetics)
Owner: Bluemouse

I'm a Polymerisian. You're the doll!