Author Topic: Sinthetic 1H neck and knee repair  (Read 7662 times)

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
Re: Sinthetic "Mirabel" 1H neck and knee repair
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
:) :) :)

Thank you Tenshi, look after that Bluemouse.
for album click the pic

toysin3d

• New Resident
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »
I'm joining this thread pretty late and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question online elsewhere; for the Sinthetic, what size hex nuts are used on the neck?  Specifically the lower ones just above the threaded hook.

Sierra keeps 'nodding off' :laugh: so upon closer inspection it seems to me the hex nuts at the base of her neck need to be tightened only I don't know what size they are and I don't have a wrench set to gage (the size).  Since I'll need to buy two cheap wrenches, it would help to know. 

My thought is I'd like to keep the incision as minor as possible to access that area so rather than cut, cut, cut away to get one of the hex nuts out and determine the size at my local Home Depot I figure I would just ask if you already know (Ray).

Thanks!

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:24 AM »
toysin3d,
13mm gets the job done although I am not sure if they are imperial or metric so 1/2inch might also work.
With a Sin the silicone of the neck is soft so you can do the job by going down from the neck opening. It can create tears but better than cutting. As I have to do it so often with Cami I do not bother to repair the tears anymore which are covered by the hair and partially by the head.

muz
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 04:19:18 AM »
Hello Toys.

Well Muzza has answered the question, but a word of caution, it might pay to talk to sinthetics as possibly they may have changed to US size nuts and bolts later in production.
I seem to remember yours is an early doll so it is most likely to be metric sizes

The incision I made is obviously larger than you would need , I needed to get to the bolt that holds the neck assembly to the spine area.
From the photo you can gauge how far down you need to go to get to the lower bolts.
It is suggested you can push the silicone down to get to the lowest nuts by sinthetics but personally I would think that is unlikely although sinthetics say that it is possible.
You can get to the upper nuts this way but if you need to get to the lower ones thats a lot of silicone to push down
Again a quick in inquiry to sinthetics , they can then instruct you further and suggest how the above may be achieved . :)

As an aside , The RealDoll 2 I have is the same , rather than fiddle about I cut the neck far enough down to get to the bolts,  as with sinthetics if the doll is moved a lot you will need to tighten these fixings repeatedly.
As Muzza said I also have not closed wounds to the neck as the area is covered by the wig thankfully and I favour longer hair most of the time.

Do let us all know how you get on , it will be of value to the community to know how you managed to do the job , good luck .

for album click the pic

toysin3d

• New Resident
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 08:16:33 PM »
Thanks Muzza & Ray!

I think the hex nuts are actually 1/2" HOWEVER, 13mm worked, probably better in my case, based on 'how' I went about tightening them.  My process was as follows:

I made an incision approximately an inch and a half down the middle of the neck in the front, beginning at the neck stem down through the alcove where the inner mouth recess is.  Similar to what Incred did for his RD in this thread http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=3995.0

The silicone, when poured, fills space between and forms around the different moving parts so I had to make a cut once inside on a piece of silicone attached through and through one of the post hinges.  What I did is cut one end and freed it.  One end remained attached and I could stretch the opening at the top a little more as a result.  My thought here was that when I was done I could easily feed the one end back through (which I did).

The above allowed me the space on the left and right sides of the neck to slide each of the 13mm open end wrenches I bought in and get to the hex nuts.  The 13mm wrenches worked better than the 1/2" I think, because it seemed easier to get them positioned around the hex nuts noting the small space I had to work with due to the fact the neck was not completely cut open and exposed for me to get at the hex nuts freely.

I only needed to do 3 quarter turns to tighten things up and I didn't use very much torque, so the chances of stripping the hex nuts was nonexistent.

All in all it was about a 5 minute process which will go more quickly next time since I'm taking Ray & Muz's advice and will just leave the cut/tear as is since it's hidden when the head is on and I'll likely need to repeat the process someday.

Toyz!

Polaroid

• Sr. Resident
  • Doll Paparazzi
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
Thanks Toysin3d for this as I have to do it for my April.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 03:57:40 AM »
Well done, thats a neat and tidy way of doing it, can you get to all three sets of nuts and bolts that way?
It would probably be of help great help to others if you could put some pics up as a guide, sometimes pics are a better way to explain things. :)

EDIT;  just had a thought.
As this is not part of a repair thread it might be an excellent idea if you started a new thread detailing your success with a suitable heading for other owners to see in the maintenance forum Toys.  :)
I suspect a lot of folk would find your info very valuable, it will only get hidden here.
for album click the pic

toysin3d

• New Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »
I think in this way I can only get two sets of bolts (the very top ones and the set about where the Adam's apple is).

I'll try to take some pictures sometime this weekend and split off to a new thread.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
Yes, the lowest ones are very hard to get too, there actually at the base of the neck, a long way down.

And thanks for the new thread, it will help others out I expect and funnily enough it will apply to RD's as well, oh, and 4Woods, they're all fairly similar. :)
for album click the pic

muzza

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 04:58:04 AM »
LD Neck Repair

Unfortunately, while posing Noni for my 'Open House', I broke her neck.
Yes, I pushed her neck back too hard trying to get her to look up without the mouth depression in her neck showing, but still, making these beauties with plastic tube ????
Old ground I know so I will not dwell on it.

Anyway, there she sat with her broken neck bless her and no one the wiser except me.

I thank Ray for his ideas which I similarly used, having taken the part to an engineering works to drill and thread the neck spigot (as can be seen in the photo).

Actually the repair is not that difficult. However, with Noni and her very firm platinum silicone the really hard bit is pulling the silicone apart to get access to the repair. OK if there is an extra pair of hands to help but when one is on ones own causes some sweat and cursing I can tell you. But I got something made up to suit eventually.

Pasted in the Titan bond plus, fitted back the neck assembly, sealed it all back up and hopefully all is well.

Just as an aside.
Apart from vaginal tears and recores, oh and a few finger pokes / nail breaks, all repairs to all my dolls have occurred during posing for photography.
So apart from the occasional 'safe' shot once in a while that it from me these days.

Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »
Well sadly it was only a matter of time until this part broke as well I'm afraid, its that "user misuse" s(i)yndrome again  :)
I would think the plastic was weakened over time by fatigue until the fateful moment.
Glad my repair was of  use to you, never did get an update on Belshaners repair but I think they used the same method as well on his three (?) dolls

Lets hope this really is the very last major repair you have to face on this doll .

And how did the viewing go with the dolls on display, perhaps material for another thread.......and good to see your still on the forums , perhaps a little later on you can resume some not so strenuous photo sessions.

Best wishes Ray
for album click the pic

muzza

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 10:06:10 PM »
Well, things have been going so well recently that I guess I should have anticipated something happening.  :(

Just over a week ago I found Noni crumpled on the floor under her stand. The Neck Repair had failed in that the skeleton neck assembly had pulled out from the spine and shoulder cruciform.

When I got her on a chair and examined the failure I discovered that the cause was, not so much the repair itself, but the bond I used had not cured and set properly. It was quite soft and I could peel and break it with my fingers and indent it with my finger nails. It is amazing that the repair has lasted a whole year, especially considering the amount of hanging use that Noni gets (a lot).

At first it got me worried that the same failure could happen with Adora's Sin body so I checked up on some old test pieces of the bond and they are fine (firm, strong & set) so I hope internally her skeleton is rock solid and unlikely to fail.

I did test some other strong bonding resins but was not happy with their adhesive qualities so eventually went back to the Titan bond plus to re fix the neck assembly to the spine. (Did not take a photo but similar to this one).

And packed a strong resin all around the whole join.

Sealing up using techniques previously described either here or elsewhere.
1. Binding the skin to the inner core with 2 part smooth on ecoflex 0030.

2. Closing the wound in stages.

The last photo shows that the neck bolt sliced through the silicone at the back of the neck and gouged out a chunk of silicone when the body dropped away from the head and neck.

Please let this be the last. ::)

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 04:19:20 AM »
Wondered why you had been so quite of late.
Very sorry of course to hear this has happened again, still looks like you have managed to repair everything again.
If you remember I filled the whole of the spine,neck/shoulder cruciform with polyester flowable resin.
I think personally this is a better as it makes a solid internal spine in its own right.
Fingers crossed, touch wood and you should never say never but the repair is holding up for me at the moment.
Lets hope thats the same for you.

Incidentally, yesterday the other leg of the Sin has now broken just like the other side, so here we go again for another hip repair.
Will post about it in the "broken hip post" when I have time .

for album click the pic

muzza

• Sr. Resident
Re: Sinthetic 1H neck and knee repair
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 11:00:30 PM »
If you remember I filled the whole of the spine,neck/shoulder cruciform with polyester flowable resin.
I think personally this is a better as it makes a solid internal spine in its own right.

Yes, I do remember.
That type of resin is not so easy to source here in Australia and the 90 second cure time (I googled the reviews) was always an issue with me because, from experience, I have always found something I have overlooked which needed attention or adjustment.
But, having said that, I did consider it and would have gone that way except that I had a spare Titan bond kit at home already AND I am confident it will do the job.
In regard to the Sin body, because both the back and neck have been repaired and the bond does 'flow', albeit slowly, I am absolutely certain that the spine is effectively reinforced with bond resin inside (and to a lesser extent the LD body as well).

I am sorry to hear that your Sin leg has broken.
Quite frankly plastic tube and aluminium should never have been used in the first place with the doll skeletons and most definitively should have stopped being used when the first breakages were notified. If plastic tube and aluminium are still being used in any of the bodies then it is criminal negligence in my opinion.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
Re: Sinthetic 1H neck and knee repair
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 04:00:07 AM »
Well we all have our favorite choices of materials, main thing is they work for you.
And if you do ever want the polyester resin, punch in "casting resin" on Ausy Ebay ,theres loads of it ....... :)

But then hopefully this repair will hold up , Noni giving pleasure for the foreseeable future and you will not need it .

As for the leg/hip problem, we have been told modifications have been made, hopefully the saga is over, well except for Pyslor's Sin of course !
for album click the pic