Author Topic: Action (Animated) Avatars.  (Read 6721 times)

litlluvr

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
Action (Animated) Avatars.
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
Hey everyone. Need to ask you a question...

Some members here are using avatars with action in them (animated...).
When I scroll through posts with these avatars, my scrolling "Stutters"
badly until I get past those posts with those avatars. Is anyone else
having a problem like this??

Zdr if you are seeing this, what can be done to stop this??

Take care. litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla and Michiko.

Ceej

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
Re: Action (Animated) Avatars.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
I'm not experiencing any of these problems.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Andy_J

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
If nothing else helps, you could switch off all avatars:

Profile / Account Settings -> Modify Profile / Look and Layout -> Don't show users' avatars

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
I gotta ask...

Are you still on dial-up ?  :whistle:
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

dave7311

• Sr. Resident
  • Valerie:" I don't mind you fart or snore.. hehehe!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
I absolutely LOve those jugs Camp, but I am more an ASS man :drool:( maybe both? ) :whistle:
I used WEBTV many many moons ago.....Is it discontinued now?
dave7311 & Valerie

litlluvr

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:28:11 AM »
I went ahead and did update my drivers for my Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card with 1 gig
memory, but that didn't help out any. I'm on DSL and that is working a-ok for me. Computer
has 4 gigs RAM with an I-7 processor rated at 2.67 Gigs. It's a fairly decent computer I built.
I'm still running Windows XP with all three service pack updates and have I.E 8. You cannot
go to I.E. 9 unless you upgrade to Windows 7 or 8.

I could go to Windows 7, but I will have to install another hard drive to load it onto since I
still need Windows XP to operate some hardware that you cannot get Windows 7 drivers
for.

Take care! litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla, and Michiko.

BTW... Dave 7311's avatar is not causing my scrolling to stutter when he uses it in his posts
and neither is Incred's.

Bluemouse

• Sr. Resident
  • Germany / NRW
    • Tenshi on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:49:58 AM »
Hi Litlluvr

Maybe it is the grafic card. Prior to my current system I had also Win XP and the Geforce GT 240.
The scrolling stuttered especially in boards with many images independent of avatar image formats.

Actual system with no problems:

Win7/64
i5 3,3GHz
8 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 660 2 GB
VDSL

Tenshi Katana is a Sinthetics Kimiko 1B
Galleries: http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12574

Spelling mistakes (or errors in translation) are the author intended. They serve only to check the attention and for the general entertainment. Anyone who finds a... may keep him.

Andy_J

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 03:31:02 AM »
I also have still WinXP and no problems. But I'm using Firefox. Have you tried another browser?

litlluvr

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I've never really had any troubles with using
I.E. I'll admit I'm somewhat "cozy" with the way my computer is currently set up
since I've never really had any major problems with it before.

I do have a laptop that is probably more up to date with hardware and with
Windows 7 I could give a try out here to see how it acts with the avatars in
question.

Take care & Thanks! litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla, and Michiko.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »
I do not have those problems although I find them very distracting when trying to read posts, sometimes in a good way and then some not so good !
As for my computer , its a grey case with a little button on the front to turn it on, thats my limited knowledge although I do know it runs on Vista. :D
Hope you can solve the issue LL
for album click the pic

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 07:46:53 AM »
Hi Litlluvr

Maybe it is the grafic card. Prior to my current system I had also Win XP and the Geforce GT 240.
The scrolling stuttered especially in boards with many images independent of avatar image formats.

Actual system with no problems:

Win7/64
i5 3,3GHz
8 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 660 2 GB
VDSL

You maybe onto something. I do have problems with youtube videos. I still run XP, but the computer is more than 5 years old, and I'm on Verizon FiOS. (Fiber optic)

dave7311

• Sr. Resident
  • Valerie:" I don't mind you fart or snore.. hehehe!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
I use Windows Vista, Firefox & high speed internet.
This website (link below) has helped me update my drivers,  FREE downloads for malware protection / viruses, adobe player & other special programs to keep computer in shape.
check them out  http://www.majorgeeks.com/  :thumb: :thumb:
dave7311 & Valerie

Bluemouse

• Sr. Resident
  • Germany / NRW
    • Tenshi on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »
I build my PC also self but that does not mean anything  ::)
Sometimes I wish that I also only know, it is a grey box with a button on his front, Ray  :laugh:

Graphic and video problems are most caused by to less RAM (Litlluvr 4 GB is enough),
a too slow graphic accelerator (Card) or (in associated with Internet) a too slow Internet line.
A fiber optic line is good, Incred, if you have a high speed tariff. There are many test-sites for free in the net. As example this one.

http://www.speedtest.net/

The download speed is important. All under 1 MB is bad for grafic intensive sides (pictures/videos).
If the problems occurs only sporadically, it is more likely the general traffic or an overloaded server (here ODC).

And as Dave says, download the latest driver  :thumb:
I use also Firefox. No problems.
Tenshi Katana is a Sinthetics Kimiko 1B
Galleries: http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12574

Spelling mistakes (or errors in translation) are the author intended. They serve only to check the attention and for the general entertainment. Anyone who finds a... may keep him.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
     I see more frequent "Connection problems" pages instead of the forum web pages when I click on topic links. There is at least some possibility that animated avatar GIFs are overloading the http://ourdollcommunity.com allocation on the hosting web server.

The forum, the gallery, and the chat room all share allocations on the same web server. The forum web pages have their own images, there may be images in the topic posts, images in the member signatures, and then the animated GIFs on top of that. Combine that with a lot of people accessing any of the ODC web pages (gallery, forum, chat) during the same hour (or whenever the ODC webserver slots are allocated) and overload conditions occur.

Ajax chat uses three images that constantly change when a user is in the chat room:

loading.png    loading-done.png    loading-trouble.png

These images (about 3.7 kilobytes each) download once a second for every user in the chat room. If there is a way to turn these off, it may take some of the load off the webserver, and get better performance out of the chat room itself.

Keep in mind that KA (ourdoll1) pays for the web server out of his own pocket. To the best of my knowledge, he has never asked anyone to help with this. The web server that he uses to host Our Doll Community is the best that he can afford. For the amount of time that I spend on ODC pages, I would gladly kick in a few bucks to keep it going.

I personally find that more than one of the animated avatars are distracting and disgusting, so I turned them off here. Even if it were not for page loading problems, I would still have them turned off.

:-X :-X :-X
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4