Author Topic: Action (Animated) Avatars.  (Read 6723 times)

Jesse1965

• Sr. Resident
Re: Action (Animated) Avatars.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
I build my own computers also and upgrade my laptop's hardware whenever possible, but that doesn't mean I'm a software guru.  There can be a thousand different factors affecting the throughput of your connection and it's contents.  I'll agree with the statement that the culprit may be the DSL connection. I believe you would benefit with cable service and a faster connection.  It was a great leap when I moved to cable years ago, but I couldn't believe that you could watch entire movies online with no stuttering problems.
You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you'll never get any sleep with a redhead.

litlluvr

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 12:37:20 AM »
Hi Jesse. Having no problems with watching streaming videos online.

I already pay a certain cable provider $115 a month for just their cable tv service.
I'm not giving them any more $$$ for their broadband service.

Take care. litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla, and Michiko.

Bluemouse

• Sr. Resident
  • Germany / NRW
    • Tenshi on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:39 AM »
Keep in mind that KA (ourdoll1) pays for the web server out of his own pocket. To the best of my knowledge, he has never asked anyone to help with this.
I personally find that more than one of the animated avatars are distracting and disgusting, so I turned them off here. Even if it were not for page loading problems, I would still have them turned off.

I agree with you Noq and thanks for information  :)
Tenshi Katana is a Sinthetics Kimiko 1B
Galleries: http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12574

Spelling mistakes (or errors in translation) are the author intended. They serve only to check the attention and for the general entertainment. Anyone who finds a... may keep him.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 05:05:33 AM »

I already pay a certain cable provider $115 a month for just their cable tv service.
I'm not giving them any more $$$ for their broadband service.

Amazed thats the case LL, here providers of cable are falling over themselves to offer ever better deals.
Here you can get Broadband, TV and freecalls for £20/$30 a month on the various cable providers !
Time to shop around ....  :)

As for the Gifs its a bit like web pages with the flashing advertising, I have to cover the flashing with my hand so that I can concentrate on reading.
Plus after you have seen them once they are just annoying !

The worst thing is there using up valuable resources of the forum.
for album click the pic

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »
     This post was originally located at Re: March Avatar
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »

I moved it here, since this is a more appropriate place for it.

My only concern with rotating GIFs is the file size, and the effect that will have on the server load. There are times when the forum or chat will hang due to the bandwidth limitation placed on the website as a whole (forum, chat, galley).

When rotating GIFs are used in an avatar or signature, that file is accessed by every user who looks at a page where the GIF is located. If this happens at peak usage times, it could bog down the entire website.

Granted that if the file is located on another server, it should not affect the bandwidth on the ODC server. In truth, no one knows why we have these brownout and blackout periods. In the very early days, we had videos in the gallery. Why we do not have them now I cannot say, but it may be related to our bandwidth allocation.

:-\ :-\ :-\

P.S. The avatar that I found to be "distracting and disgusting" was changed a long time ago, so I have turned avatars back on here. If I re-visit a page that I have seen before, I hit the Stop button on my web browser as soon as the text loads. This stops most pictures from loading. I can right-click my mouse on an unloaded picture to "Show picture" if it is new to that web page.
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Haremlover

• Sr. Resident
  • Former member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
It's with great pleasure to have received communications from people enjoying my posts of pictures and stories.

I realised the other day that my inspiration derives in part from 19th century Magic Lantern slides which were projected whilst the projectionist would read out the story which went with each image.

A particular speciality became animated slides where things moved . . . rather like these animated gifs we enjoy today.
http://www.toverlantaarn.eu/slipping_slides_2.html etc gives the picture.

Best wishes

Harem
Aira and Chloé are DS DollSweet Silicone Déesses and the DS Forum is fascinating.
Kira is a Private Island Beauty (PIB)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Latex ladies from www.domax.fr are wonderful - I pass on discounts to UK forum members
 - please PM if interested

litlluvr

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »
Wanted to post an update here and just let folks know that I am not having
any problems now with action type avatars. I think our Technical Admin Zdr
has cleaned up a lot of the programming on ODC and things are working much
better now. The Chatroom could still use a bit of work though. ::)

Take Care! litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla, and Michiko.

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
OK, got some questions re Animated pics.
This also relates to Cinemagraph Masterpieces see http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=5889.0

I have been trying to learn how to do gifs.
Having got a first effort file on desktop, could someone please advise:

1. What file size is acceptable or normal for these things? - Currently my file is 705kb and is only 320 by 240. If this is too big how does one reduce it without affecting quality or size.

2. How does one post these things? I could not find any gifs in the gallery and as one cannot post attachments I am not sure how to get one into a post. Using hosting sites I have found usually ends in me being banned from them or my photo removed.

3. Similar question .... Where are the gif avatars coming from? i.e. what url source.

thanks in advance
muz

Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »
When you upload an avatar, SMF stores it on our own server.  The best way to test the sizing algorithm is try it.  It is ok to start with a much bigger file.  You can load it/copy it into your gallery, link to it elsewhere on the web, or upload it from your own computer.  Each of these ways produces different results.  Good luck.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »
recently LL was trying to put his gif avatar in the ODC gallery to use it as it's source, but the gallery didn't like it for some reason. I put it on my site and he was able to link it from there. If it doesn't work for you let me know and you can try it from my gallery.

Here is the gif gallery http://incredidoll.com/gallery3/index.php/Gif

LL's avatar;

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 11:33:22 PM »
Thank you Z-Dr and Incred.

To be honest I don't really understand tech stuff.
It is more that I learn particular procedures and follow them.

I tried uploading my file to the ODC gallery but the thumbnail disturbingly flashed all the time which was distracting so I discounted that system.
I tried Facebook and youtube but they thought my file was a photo, so that didn't work.
I have now joined tumblr (which seems to be a blog host, I guess similar to how I use CoverDoll).

But the result is somewhat disappointing for a 705kb file as the picture has become too small, there is a black frame around (which I will have to learn how to remove) and quality reduced. I did reduce the size to 320 x 240 when producing according to the tutorial I followed.

The question remains:

What is an acceptable normal size file to produce for:
1. a reasonably sized quality animated post? Such as in Cinemagraphic Masterpieces thread. and
2. an avatar? So what is the file size and dimensions of LL's avatar? It looks like it is tones of MB's

Until I know that I cannot proceed with any other productions.

Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Jesse1965

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 04:21:36 AM »
Hi Muzza!

When I recently made a .GIF for entry into a monthly contest, I posted it to my gallery here and I had no problems.
You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you'll never get any sleep with a redhead.

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
Jesse, I fixed your link to display the image and take you to the gallery if you click it.

Jesse's gif is 900x506 pixels for the full size gif, 398x224 pixels for the normal gallery version, and 100x56 for the gallery index thumbnail.
Litlluvr's gif displayed above is 320x180 pixels and his avatar gif is 120x120 pixels.

AVTH

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
I also find and used freevideotogif.exe software to convert short videos to animated GIFs
http://www.video-gif-converter.com/

Jesse1965

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Jesse, I fixed your link to display the image and take you to the gallery if you click it.

Jesse's gif is 900x506 pixels for the full size gif, 398x224 pixels for the normal gallery version, and 100x56 for the gallery index thumbnail.
Litlluvr's gif displayed above is 320x180 pixels and his avatar gif is 120x120 pixels.

Thanks, Z-dr!  :cheers:  (I'm just now reading this post a year later.   :-X