Author Topic: Doll Cleaning Solution  (Read 8337 times)

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
Doll Cleaning Solution
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
The reality is, this is probably not an original recipe that I am going to share with you. I most likely read about it ages ago on some long forgotten website. However, this is a doll safe cleaning solution that should also be anti-bacterial and the like. Perfect for cleaning adopted dolls, as well as any other doll in your family.

Doll Cleaning Solution:
1 Tbsp Anti-Bacterial Dish Soap (Dawn or Palmolive, you get the idea)
1/2 Cup Warm Water
1 Cup Rubbing Alcohol (at least 70%)

Gently mix the warm water with the dish soap in order to dissolve the soap in the water with out making too much in the way of suds. Next mix in the rubbing alcohol.

You can then pour this mix into her lady bits and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. The alcohol should in theory kill any bacteria or microbes that have decided to take up residence there. The CDC recommends that 70% Isopropyl alcohol is pretty much ideal for disinfectant purposes, but also caution that below a concentration of 50% the disinfectant properties drop off rapidly. The soap is to encourage general cleanliness as a whole-doll concept.

This mixture can be scaled up if you want to give your whole doll a sponge bath too! You can also add more soap if you want, but this is pretty much the ratio I use. Actually, this mixture is pretty great for cleaning out (or off) just about anything in your house that isn't cloth.

Once you have let this mix do its thing in the entries, you can remove most of the mix, and then using a bottle brush, do a little bit of scrubbing. Finally, your doll out with plain water and wait for it to dry, or use a long, narrow, soft cloth to soak up any excess water remaining. I said those qualifiers because you will want to leave a tail hanging out, so you have something to pull on to remove the cloth.

Hope this helps or was useful to you all!
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

Bluemouse

• Sr. Resident
  • Germany / NRW
    • Tenshi on Facebook
Re: Doll Cleaning Solution
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
Good to know  :thumb:
Thank you Bel .
Tenshi Katana is a Sinthetics Kimiko 1B
Galleries: http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12574

Spelling mistakes (or errors in translation) are the author intended. They serve only to check the attention and for the general entertainment. Anyone who finds a... may keep him.

Bronwen

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
Can someone make this thread sticky, please?
Champagne for My Real Friends, Real Pain for My Sham Friends

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »
Can someone make this thread sticky, please?

Done
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »
or use a long, narrow, soft cloth to soak up any excess water remaining.

Tampons (super as opposed to regular) can also be used instead.
As I am overly concerned with mould forming on damp silicone (such as one sees in bathrooms) I also use an aquarium air pump to ensure all is dry inside before 'closing up' till the next time.

muzza
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Musician

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
I also use an aquarium air pump to ensure all is dry inside before 'closing up' till the next time.

muzza

That aquarium air pump is a great idea, muzza!.

I've been using an air compressor with an air nozzle. The regulator is turned way down to allow a gentle stream  of drying air, of course.

But the aquarium  pump would be much easier than dragging out that heavy compressor and having all that hose to deal with.
My doll's name is Roselle. She is a Lovable Doll, made by Matt Krivicke. Makeup by Bronwen Keller.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
  • Redheads Rule, just look !
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
Other than mold buildup inside the doll's orifices, what other bugs or physiological troubles could occur if a doll isn't cleaned out regularly besides a nasty smell. ?  And does anyone know of any bugs one could catch, if the doll is dirty ?  I think this would be a valuable subject to discuss given that some of us do buy "used" dolls, though I don't, and there are some who aren't very good at house keeping.

I've asked these questions with a doll manufacturer (Abyss) and they say that bacteria and other bugs can't survive on silicone because it's non porous.

So, who's the doctor here on this subject ?

GP

BTW Belshanar, thanks for the tip on that cleaning formula.  And, I also have a compressor that I use with an air nozzle and adjustable air pressure usually set at approx. 20 psi +/-. 

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »
Other than mold buildup inside the doll's orifices, what other bugs or physiological troubles could occur if a doll isn't cleaned out regularly besides a nasty smell. ?  And does anyone know of any bugs one could catch, if the doll is dirty ?  I think this would be a valuable subject to discuss given that some of us do buy "used" dolls

A good question, worthy of discussion. However, we should allow that question to have its own discussion thread and split off from this one.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
I disagree categorically.

This thread is directly related to doll hygiene, the proper way to clean them, and what could happen to us if we do not pay attention to this very important issue which is really why this topic is brought to light in the first place.

So let it begin here, or if I am still not on topic, then let's begin elsewhere.

GP

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
I agree with Guitarpussy

Since this is now stickied.

Lets call this thread Doll Cleaning Solution (s)

So post your Doll cleaning solutions here.

This may be a great time for Mahtek to re-post his great cleaning pics, starring Phoebe.

If it does get off topic we can always split and start a new topic.

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Thanks Camp,

I guess I can agree with this and hope that all interested will contribute their ideas to the new thread.  This is vitally important for us, and the good maintenance of our dolls.

GP

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
Generally speaking, it is correct that most bacteria and other medical nasties cannot deal with silicone. Which makes sense since it is everywhere in cooking and medical supplies. Given this concept, when any residual material leaves the doll, so too does the medical threat.

From about 20 minutes of research about bacteria/ viruses and silicone, I couldn't find much about them growing or thriving in or on silicone. It was only in some very specific case studies with some very specific strains of bacteria that you could find them growing in or on silicone. And the silicone in question was being used as artificial voice boxes. Needless to say, our dollies do not experience living conditions that are analogous to the human throat very often. Certainly not long enough for something to take root.

Realistically, the medical threat for those of us in this hobby are pretty slim, bordering on zero. However, with a few precautions in the hygiene department we can further reduce that risk, just like any other sexual activity.

The main issue we face in the doll hobby is a nasty smell from improper cleaning and possible material build up. These reasons are why it is critical to properly clean your doll after each and every play session. My recipe isn't necessary for each time, but it is probably a good idea to use it one a month or so. Coinciding with each time you bathe your doll.

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Walking on the Bluegrass
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
By popular demand.......

How to clean a doll, starring Phoebe.

First, place her on a couple of folded towels to collect any wash water. Prop her up so that everything will drain out.

Next, wet your foam-on-a-stick cleaning plunger with water and anti-bacterial soap. Insert for cleaning.

Plunge vigorously for effective cleaning.  ;)

Next, wipe off the outside area.

Then rinse her out with plenty of water.

She's good to go! Let her air dry before storage.

All without moving her from the bed.  :thumb:

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Gotta love the Oldies...

guitarpussy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
The facial expressions and eye positions during this sequence are priceless !

GP