Author Topic: How to Carry a Doll  (Read 14584 times)

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: How to Carry a Doll
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
To get the shots with Myffy I had 20 seconds to click the shutter, then run over get her arms in position, and get my hands in position, then pick her up and move into position, and hold still. Phew.

Incred, have you tried Interval Photography?  (That's what Nikon calls it.)  The camera automatically takes a picture every 30 seconds, until you stop it.

I do use a Nikon D200, but it doesn't have that feature  :(

That sounds exhausting.  :o
For that reason - when I made the recently posted picture of Amy sitting on my lap, I actually shot a video with my camera. So I could pick the best still - sitting comfortably at my computer.  ;)

Yup, another feature I don't have  :(
I took this series of pictures to give Brash an idea so he could show his model how to carry a doll in his video that he is making. I had been meaning to show how to do this carry for some time. Just getting around to finally doing it  :whistle:

The other advantage to this carry is when hanging her in the shower. Once I get her in the tub I can rest her on my knee, with my foot on the side of the tub, then fish the chain through the eyebolt to then attach it to the other hook. Guess I could show that one too sometime.

Ace

• Resident
  • Bangarang!
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »

I'm thinking about getting a new camera and I know that I have a LOT to learn.
I've never taken pictures with any serious goals before.
Any tips for purchasing a camera?

Camera Use: Doll Photography Indoors
Likely Budget: ~$400 (More if needed to make things look semi-pro)
Fanboy of DS-DollSweet and 4Woods. Because of reasons.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Ace,

Take a peek here: Popular Photography Buying Guide. They have everything from compact cameras to top-level professional gear.

:) :) :)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

frekka2021

• New Resident
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 04:59:45 AM »
Wow, Incred,

That looked like it was going to get .. umm.. interesting for a while there.  :whistle:

But thanks for that info, for us newbies..  8)

Umm.. who took the photos tho?

frekka2021

• New Resident
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 05:03:57 AM »
Ok, sorry,

didn't read the whole thread did I?  :-[

life-is-plastic

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »

I'm thinking about getting a new camera and I know that I have a LOT to learn.
I've never taken pictures with any serious goals before.
Any tips for purchasing a camera?

Camera Use: Doll Photography Indoors
Likely Budget: ~$400 (More if needed to make things look semi-pro)

If you want to keep things compact, you could think of for instance a Panasonic LX7; from the available compact digicams out now it has the biggest opening (zoom)lens, which starts at f1.4. and it has decent image quality for a digital compact. Other brands have similar top-of-the-range compacts, like Olympus: XZ2 or Fuji: X20 Mind you: because of the more lightgathering lenses, their zoom capacity is limited compared to many more traditional zoom compacts. A 'bridge camera' like the Panasonic DMC-FZ70 would also be a possibility; has a huuuuuuuge zoom combined with a really wide angle start-point.

If you like more flexibility, you should look at a DSLR or the more compact mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, but that would kinda jump over your budget, but it would be more 'future-proof' as you can add lenses as you go along. Canon just introduced their most compact DSLR: 100D/Rebel SL1 which seems very handy. Not sure what it'll set you back though. Keep in mind that DSLRs and the Mirrorless cameras with their bigger sensors will give you much better image-quality, especially at high(er) sensibilities.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
Back to topic.

Here is how to hook up a doll ( that has a neck bolt ) in the shower. Of course you have to have a way of suspending your doll first.

First remember how you are going to rest her on your knee so you know which way to pick her up. Next get her to the tub , and step in, putting your foot on the side so you can rest her on your knee. Change the arm under the leg to support her back so the other can thread the chain through the hook.

Then slide the chain through, and hook up to the other S hook while picking her up to hang in the center of the tub.

If you hook her up near the front of the tub then there is room for you to shower with your doll  :thumb:

Bonus Stereograph;

:redhead:

Jgato

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
Very cool set-up Incred! 

I usually do baths for my dolls and than use the shower head to rinse them down.  I want to start using the downstairs shower, but it does not have the readymade supports to handle chains.  It also has a sliding door arrangement which is not ideal.  I have been thinking about installing a hook anchored in one of the overhead beams so I could use a chain arrangement.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
It is much easier to shower the doll so the dirt washes off, but I realize some can't, or the doll doesn't have a neck bolt.

There are many different ways to support a doll in a shower. A simple one would be a doll stand with a plastic base.

Andy_J

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Even your "technical" pictures are so beautiful.  :thumb:

(After looking at them in the first picture I would never have thought that these brass (?) hooks would be able to handle such a weight, especially the attachment in the ceiling - with the weight pulling in an angular direction. I guess there is some ingenious incred engineering involved. :))

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 07:09:38 PM »
The stereograph makes it all very clear :) lol

Love the pix! good tips too  :D
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
Even your "technical" pictures are so beautiful.  :thumb:

(After looking at them in the first picture I would never have thought that these brass (?) hooks would be able to handle such a weight, especially the attachment in the ceiling - with the weight pulling in an angular direction. I guess there is some ingenious incred engineering involved. :))

I guess there is a bit of engineering. When I rebuilt the bathroom I made sure the J-hooks went through strapping and into the attic. Then through another board with clamps. No way they will slide down unless I want to adjust the height. Later the company made even stronger curtain rods; http://deabath.com/SHWR/Ultimate/ultimate.html

Andy_J

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
 :thumb:

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13:11 AM »

Please can you do one showing how to get her OFF the stand in the same easy fashion?

Hooking or un-hooking a doll on a stand tends to be a bit lower than a wall bracket, at least I put mine at eye level. This way there is less strain on the back, and easier to dress/undress a doll. Most people use the hook, but I use air fittings, but it is basically the same. I use air fittings instead of an eyebolt and hook for several reasons. The main advantage is the doll will store straight, and tighter to the wall, so there is no need for a pad. Also you need a solid connection when attaching a stance modifier which makes the doll stand straight up and down. It also helps with a doll dollie, and a doll stand, because of not needing the back pad.

Also there is no need to unscrew the eyebolt to attach/un-attach the modifier. Simply unlock the fitting and go. When attaching just push until you hear a click. Then the doll is locked on.

On to the pictures. Taking her off the stand I put one arm under her legs, and reach around the back to unattach her from the bracket. Then lift. Also notice that my back is straight, and that my legs are bent, or split.

When docking I slide the back hand up to the neck bolt to line up with the hook;

The extra step for the fittings is to move the hand from the back of her neck to her throat to push her on while pulling her butt forward.
listen for the click and she is locked on.

Here are closeups of the fittings in the same order;

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »
One thing I need to mention is that when hooking up or disconnecting a doll from a stand, or in the shower, it is a lot easier to remove the wig. Then you can see the eye bolt, and the hair won't get in the way. It is common sense, but I might be miss leading in these pictures. I left the wigs on for esthetics. In the shower I remove the head, or face, and put a plastic bag with an elastic band (Presley's) over the neck so water doesn't go down the neck. I also drape the rest of the bag over the neck bolt so water doesn't seep in. After the doll is dry you can powder her right in the tub so the excess stays there.