Author Topic: Placing Pictures in a Post  (Read 9905 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Placing Pictures in a Post
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
Placing Pictures in a Post

To place pictures in a post (also called “hotlinking”), follow these steps. This is written for Windows. Other operating systems and Graphic User Interfaces (GUI's) may be different. Those with experience on those platforms are welcome to share with the class.

Notes

Long posts are best composed in a separate text editor1, then copied and pasted into the edit pane. To highlight the entire edit pane, make sure your cursor is somewhere in the edit pane, then press <CTRL> and the letter <a> at the same time. Then you can either copy the text (<CTRL> and the letter <c>) copy and delete the text (<CTRL> and the letter <x>), or just delete the text with your “Delete” key.

HTML code does NOT currently (Sep 2013) work with Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software.

Some websites (such as the Internet Movie DataBase – http://us.imdb.com/) prevent hotlinking. You might see the pictures when you edit your posts, but they will not show up for others, nor will they show for you after you clear your browser’s cache.

1. Display the image that you want to place in the post.
     2. Right click the image and select 'Properties'.
     3. Copy the 'Address: (URL)' and paste that into your post.
     4. If the address you just pasted is not highlighted, then highlight it now.
     5. Click the Image button above.
     6. If you want the image centered (left to right) in the post, highlight everything in the image link and click the Center button above.

Your post will look like this in the edit pane:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal__MG_3849_sm.JPG[/img]
     Your post will look like this on the page:

Reducing Large Images

You may want to reduce the size of a large picture to prevent to need for scrolling. If you want to set the image to a specific size, as for a thumbnail, either change the [ img ] tag to [ img width=100 ] or to [ img height=100 ] (no spaces between the brackets).
     You need not specify both the width and the height of the picture. If you do this, and if you get one of the numbers wrong, you will change the aspect ratio of the picture. It may appear out of proportion. With only the width or the height specified, the aspect ratio will remain constant.

Example: width=300 and height=100

Linking to a larger picture, album, or website from within a picture involves two separate link addresses. The first address is the URL (internet address) of the picture, album, or website that you want the link to lead to. The second address is the image link of the picture that you want to display in the post. In this example, we will link to a larger picture from within a picture, specify the size of the picture that we want to display, and add a text link to the larger picture.

To link to a larger picture from within an image, use the address of the larger image in the URL portion of the post. Use the address of the image that you want to display in the image link portion of the post.

1. Copy and paste the large image link into your post. This is the URL (internet address) of the picture that you want to link to.
     2. Copy and paste the image address of the image that you want to display in your post.
     3. Highlight ONLY the address of the image that you want to display in the post and click the Image button above. This will place the [  img ]  and [ /img ] tags around your image, but without the spaces inside the brackets.
     4. Highlight both the URL (internet address) of the picture that you want to link to and the image that you want to display (everything, including the [ img ] and [ /img ] tags.
     5. Click the URL button above. This will place the [ url ] tag at the beginning of everything, and the [ /url ] tag at the end of everything (no spaces between the brackets).
     6. Change the right bracket after url  ( ] ) to an equals sign ( = ), and place the right bracket after the link, just before the [ img ]. Example: [ url=where you link to here ] [ img ] image link here [ /img ][ /url ] (no spaces between the brackets).
     7. If you want the image centered (left to right) in the post, highlight everything in the image link and click the Center button above.

[url=http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/_MG_3849_sm.JPG]
[img]http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal__MG_3849_sm.JPG[/img][/url]
     The top line is the URL (internet address) of the picture that you want to link to.
     The bottom line is the link to the image that you want to display.
     The final [ /url ] must be placed after the display image link (after the [ /img ] ).

Your picture will look like this on the page:

8. If you also want a text link to the larger image under the picture, then add a carriage return <ENTER> before the [ /url ] and then add your text. In the following example, Larger Image is the text.

[img width=100]http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal__MG_3849_sm.JPG[/img]
Larger Image[/url]
     This image will be centered, resized for a thumbnail, and includes the text link below the picture. Note: I deliberately used the 'normal' sized image to show that the width=100 part works.

Your post will look like this on the page. Mouse over the image or the text and you will see that they are both links.

You may also post a link to a larger picture from within a picture and a separate text link to a website, gallery, or thread under the picture. To do this, just add a link in the usual fashion, before the [ /center ].

Example:

[img width=100]http://ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal__MG_3849_sm.JPG[/img][/url]
[url=http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0]The Snow Queen Tribute[/url]

:)  :)  :)

1   I mentioned using a text editor for long posts, then copying that text to the edit pane of your post. While writing a web page for my personal website (in HTML), I have discovered that Microsoft Word for Windows uses two different characters for the quotation marks (") at the beginning and ending of a quote. If you copy and paste these characters into your post, always do a Preview (between the Post and Spell Check buttons) before posting the message.

I have also used Windows Notepad in the past. Notepad tends to put carriage returns into your text, just as if you had pressed the <ENTER> key. When you paste your text into the edit pane here

you might get this.

It it always a good idea to Preview your posts. If you find something that needs to be edited, this is the best time to catch it. I still find errors in my posts, so nobody is perfect!

Edited by noquiexis 22 Nov 2016

:)  :)  :)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Placing Pictures in a Post
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »
NOw that is a cool little tutorial there! I will certainly remember it when it next comes time to post a pic. Especially if I want to center the image on the page!
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
New Information for ODC Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
     There is new information for Our Doll Community members in the thread: 
Linking to Photos in The Doll Album

The thread linked above has been moved to the Tech Talk forum, but still links to that page.
 Your dreams come true"

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:38 AM »
This is now a sticky !
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
Free Photo Editing Software
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:09 PM »
     My apologies! I should have included this a long time ago!  :-[

You can find free photo editing software online at http://www.irfanview.com/, picasa.google.com/, www.photoscape.org/, and here http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pixelbasedwin/tp/freephotoedw.htm. There is no doubt that other photo editing software is available for free, but these are a few places to start looking.

:) :) :)
 Your dreams come true"

siliconelover

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »
I've tried and tried ... and tried, but the only image I am able to post is a Red X 

Not sure what I am missing but could someone try and explain it in a stupid way so maybe I'll get it ?

Appreciate the help, S2L
DOLLS R MAN'S BEST FRIEND

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
Slave the way I do it is click on the INSERT IMAGE on the tool bar then paste your url between the img like this.  Hope it was ok to use your picture.

Now, if someone could tell me how to post a video?  The way I use to do it by just pasting the video no longer works for me.....

Coral
Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
Just make sure the url (address) is of the actual picture, not a page the picture is displayed on.  Right click on the picture and select "properties".  That is the url you need to use so copy it from there and paste it between the [img] tags.  It will usually end in ".jpg".  Page addresses will likely display the dreaded red x.

siliconelover

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
It's all greek to me ... I need to find someone that can actually show me how, I've always learned things from observing how it's done. Thanx for trying guys.

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:27 AM »
The address you used http://=10330&pos=-9973 is not valid.  Do you have a valid address?

siliconelover

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »

Holy Shit, I did it :)

Thanx Guys !

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Woo Hooooo!!!!!

siliconelover

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:18 AM »
And the LARGE version !

*edit by Z-Dr: click pic to enlarge*

WiccaNick

• Sr. Resident
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
Hi! 
Thanks for trying to explain this image posting thing---Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any pictures posted since management turned the attachment feature off.  I am on an older MacBook Pro (Mac OS---not even sure they make the operating system I am working with anymore--Apple is up to "Space Panther" or something bizarre like that!!)

I've tried n tried, as well---all that shows up after I review the post is a light-blue X in a square.  Not sure what I am doing wrong or if it is even possible to post pics from my old Mac OS system.

Oh well!  I had fun while it lasted!! :laugh: