Author Topic: Placing Pictures in a Post  (Read 9906 times)

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
Re: Placing Pictures in a Post
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
If you ask nicely, I bet management would turn the attachment feature back on.  ;)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »
WiccaNick,

Before pictures can be linked into a post, they must be online somewhere. If you can upload pictures to your gallery

then you should be able to link from there to your posts. An added bonus to using the Gallery is that it generates what it calls "normal_" sized pictures (smaller). For those still on dial-up networking, these pictures may be easier to download, so the pages fill out faster when they view the posts. The Gallery also provides a thumnail index of your pictures, making them easier to search.

:) :) :)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

phillip57

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
If you ask nicely, I bet management would turn the attachment feature back on.  ;)

Pretty Please? With sugar on top?
All things are relative.

Camp

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
There are 2 reasons why attachments are shut off...

1 ) Attachments consume "Inodes" of which we have a certain allotment on this service. And we regularly exceeded that amount.

2 ) People were using attachments rather than using a gallery. You can post pics from any hosting service, whether it be ODC, Flickr, Imagehost, etc...

Putting an attachment in a post limits that pic to that post. period.

Can you imagine a Doll-Site without a gallery ? It completly defeats the purpose...

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
Just bumping this thread and repeating the 'how to' on this page 2 for the benefit of newcomers.

Posting a photo in a post (also see http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=544.0 )

1. You need to have your photo uploaded somewhere. This can be in the ODC gallery, the CoverDoll gallery, the Doll Album at TDF, any one of the photo host sites (photo bucket, tumblr, imageshack, etc) or even on your Facebook gallery (usually marked for own eyes only in the case of dolly photos).

2. Write your post as normal.

3. Where you want the photo to be placed click on the 'mona lisa' button (bottom row second from left).

4. You should see [img][img] appear in your post where you want the photo to be placed.

5. Now, on another window, find the photo you want to show in your post. Right click on it (control click if you have a mac) and copy the image address to your clipboard. You can do this prior to making your post if you prefer.

6. Go back to your post and place the flashing cursor between (in the middle of) the [img][img] marks and select paste from your computers menu. This will put your photos address (URL) in between the bracketed img marks.

7. Finish your post and check with preview. When happy click post.
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »
Some members have galleries outside ODC where large files can be stored.
I have noticed that, when going to some threads, it takes considerable time for the photos to load, often way too long.
I assume this is because of the size of the file.
Internet speed plays some part as well I guess.
Reducing the file size does not significantly affect ones enjoyment of the photos.
Please bear this in mind when posting photos in threads, especially if multiple photos are posted.
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
I am having trouble with the links, which today (for me) to go to the wrong page. I tried fixing one, but it went to a different wrong page!

http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=7484.15

I assume the problem is with the sort order. I have not found instructions for locating the 'hard coded' URL of the photo page.

The problem manifested itself when changed browser (from Chrome to FireFox) which likely changed the sort order.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »
Everhard,

If you link to a picture position in the gallery, such as:
http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1408&pos=7
then you will get whatever picture is in that position. As of this writing, the picture in that position (from here) is:

The picture page that you intended to link to here has moved to position (as of this writing):
http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1408&pos=17

If you link to the actual picture URL, as noted above, you will get the picture that you intended to post.

The gallery has a position order based on how you upload pictures. If you deliberately change the sort order when logged into the gallery, this will change the position of the pictures. (I tried this exactly once, and gave it up as a lost cause.) As you add new pictures to an album, this will also change the position of existing pictures in that album. Trying to keep up with these changes would be a nightmare all its own.

In addition, there is a  "display order" in the upper right-hand corner of each gallery page (example). This allows each viewer to view pictures according to their own preference:

Title + -
File name + -
Date + -
Position + -

The  "+" is by ascending order and the "-" is by descending order.

Depending on how you order the pages as you view them, the pictures may be in a different position. Your picture of "Posh Bitch" will be in these positions depending on how I view your gallery (as of this writing):

Title +         album=1408&pos=11
File name + album=1408&pos=7
Date +        album=1408&pos=17
Position +    album=1408&pos=8

Title -          album=1408&pos=8
File name -  album=1408&pos=12
Date -         album=1408&pos=2
Position -     album=1408&pos=17

As you can see, the picture position for you may not be the way the forum software views your galleries. From the above examples, I would hazard a guess that the forum software views the galleries according to "Date +", but I would not gamble on that.

On another note, many people have linked to picture pages from the "Last additions" only to find that the picture "changed in a matter of minutes". This is the nature of the "Last additions" and is not a fault in the gallery software.

:) ;) :)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
The main reason why there are no attachments is as Camp listed above.

Another good reason is because you own your pictures so they can't be locked in an attached post. Granted you also have control of your posts, and can ALWAYS delete them.

We also provide a free gallery with no worry of someone deleting them other than yourself.