Author Topic: Connections  (Read 2898 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Connections
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:03:40 AM »
Connections
"One thing leads to another."

One thing leads to another. James Burke started a television series in 1978 called "Connections" in which he "follows various timelines of how one innovation lead to something seemingly totally unrelated in the future". Connections 2 (1994) and Connections 3 (1997) have since followed.

What is the connection between Lorena McKennitt, Agatha Christie, John William Waterhouse, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson? I, and many others are admirers of their works. As it turns out there is a common thread between them.

This is a picture of film actress Victoria Rigby in costume. Her dress and necklace were made for a fouteen (14) minute film by WAG Screen, an offshoot of the Washingborough Archaeology Group. There was no pattern to follow for this garment. The costume was created entirely from a painting done in 1888 by

The boat was refitted for the film. The tapestry was made for this film, and laid in the boat before the Lady stepped in, just as in the painting.

The painting was inspired by the poem of the same name, which was written by

The story of Elaine of Astolat is that she died of unrequited love for Lancelot, a knight in King Arthur's court, and drifted down a river to Camelot in a boat. This was the source material for Tennyson's poem.

Waterhouse did three works based on the character of The Lady of Shalott. This is the second painting:

The third painting, done in 1916, was also realized for the WAG Screen film.

It is interesting to note that Waterhouse painted these three pictures in reverse of the order that these scenes occur in the poem.

Tennyson's poem was set to music and performed by many, including

Loreena McKennitt

There is little or no proof of the Arthurian legends. A great body of work has been done by many artists, poets, and songwriters that can be traced back to these and other fictional accounts. Dreams of life in fantasy worlds are common human experiences. The fantasy worlds that we create for our dolls are no different. If I knew of a good seamstress, and if I had the cash, I would commision such a costume as the Lady's white dress. Alas! There are no patterns to be found for this garment!

YouTube links

I highly recommend reading the poem (link above) and looking up some of the old language in a good dictionary before watching these videos. There are hunderds of these videos, of which this is only a very small sample.

WAG Screen movie production 14:16
The Lady of Shalott read by Ben Poole as Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Videos with song by Loreena McKennitt
(poem edited - not the full text)

Video by WAG Screen 11:40
(no poetry reading, no lyrics on screen)

Paintings by Waterhouse and others 11:32
(lyrics between pictures. Read ahead! Lyrics pages change quickly.)

Paintings and photos by many 11:35
(lyrics on screen)

"Trapped" (Shalott) 11:34
painting by Melanie Delon
(image never changes, lyrics on screen)

Anne of Green Gables 2:12
The Lady of Shalott (excerpt)
acted out by the characters on the television show.

Shalott by Emilie Autumn 4:05

The YouTube pages list dozens more videos.

Novels and movies

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side is a 1962 novel by

Agatha Christie

Movies based on Agatha Christie's novel:
The Mirror Crack'd (1980)
The Mirror Crack'd (1992) (TV Movie)
Shubho Mahurat (2003) (India)
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (2010)

The young adult novel Song of the Sparrow (2007) by Lisa Ann Sandell is a retelling of the story of The Lady of Shalott.

The Wikipedia page lists many more links, of which these are only a few.

Why did I write this page?

In 1833, Alfred, Lord Tennyson published a book of poems that included the hauntingly beautiful "The Lady of Shalott". This book was so rejected by the people of that time that he published nothing else for a space of ten years. He revised and published this poem and others in 1842. "The Lady of Shalott" became one of his best-known works.

Over the course of his career, John William Waterhouse painted three scenes from that one poem. Oddly enough, he painted them in reverse order of the text. His first painting (1888), the furthest in the text, became one of his best-known works. His 1894 work was from an earlier portion of the text, and his 1916 work was the earliest in the poem.

Loreena McKennitt performed an edited version of the poem on her 2006 album "The Visit". I became familiar with her other works a few years before I heard this song. Many others have read Lord Tennyson's poem, painted scenes from it, and wrote or performed songs about it.

Although I have never met these three people, and I likely never will, they 'live' in my memory. Through their work, they (and many others) have made my life richer and fuller. I mention these three because of this single thread that unites them. (Agatha Christie's novel only hints at the poem.) When Lord Tennyson wrote his poems, he had no idea how many lives he would touch, or how many other artists would base their works on his.

The word 'amateur' is from the latin <i>amo, amare</i> - to love. I wrote poems, prose, songs, and took pictures for my own pleasure; <i>for the love of it</i>. They are known to only a handful of family members and friends. I never expected to achieve the same level of success as these artists.

Artists and performers have a saying: "If you would know me, then know my work." As you travel the uncertain roads of life, remember that what you do today may have far-reaching consequences, and may affect people of whom you never dreamed. What will these inhabitants of the future think about us, long after we are gone? If we are to be remembered at all, let us be remembered for the beauty that we bring into the world.

For this page on a "family friendly" website, look here.

"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Haremlover

• Sr. Resident
  • Former member
Re: Connections
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »
What a wonderful inspiration! THANK YOU! (and thanks for the wife friendly page . . .  ;))

Mahoro's Aira will now

have to have lessons in poetry rather than just in English Costume and music

and she is looking for an experienced doll for tuition . . .

Best wishes

Harem
Aira and Chloé are DS DollSweet Silicone Déesses and the DS Forum is fascinating.
Kira is a Private Island Beauty (PIB)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Latex ladies from www.domax.fr are wonderful - I pass on discounts to UK forum members
 - please PM if interested

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
You really are a wordsmith, fascinating connections and reading .

Never really could grasp poetry, just the way my brain is wired I guess but the images I can.
The costumes, settings and model are fantastic, the work in the costumes is truly a wonderful piece of art work.
Some very talented people all involved with the production of this film.
for album click the pic

Gramps

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
I watched the movie, and I learned that Victoria Rigby is hot.  When Sir Lancelot comments on her pretty face, I bet he's thinking other things, too.

Skirts of that day pretty much hid the lower half of the body.  To check out a woman's ass, you had to wait for the wind to blow her skirt against her, sort of like this:

The story is unrealistic, but I guess it's meant to be surreal, like a Twilight Zone episode of that time.   :thumb:

-----------------

On the subject of Connections:

I'm interested in family history.  For example, one of my grandmothers had a diary that ran from 1911 to 1915.  Every day, she wrote a small diary entry about the main events of her day.  Fast-forward to the present, where every day, I copy and post that entry into a 100-years-ago family blog that I post online under the grandmother's name.

For most of my family, this is boring stuff and they are not interested.  It's hard to get people out of their In-The-Moment, Here-And-Now mode of life -- even though we are surrounded by connections to the past, and our present life would be more interesting if we were aware of them.

BTW, the above photo is cropped down from a photo taken by that grandmother. 

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »
Thanks for that NQ.
Kinda like the 'Six Degrees of Separation' theory.
 :thumb:
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
Gramps wrote:
I watched the movie, and I learned that Victoria Rigby is hot.

"Beauty (hotness) is in the eye of the beholder." She does have a nice face, and I like her voice (and English accent), too.

muzza,

I had not heard of the 'Six Degrees of Separation' theory, so I looked it up. It still surprises me that I 'know' people in other countries. We are 'connected' by the internet and the media. I also 'know' some poets and artists through their work.

One of the trivia questions that people like to ask is, "If you could meet someone famous, living or dead, who would it be?" My standard answer is, "No one. Without some common ground, what would I say to them?"

In the movie Se7en, William Somerset (Morgan Freeman) tells Tracy (Gwyneth Paltrow), "Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable." Same here. The less people know about me, the more they might like me.

:-X :-\ :-X
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Haremlover

• Sr. Resident
  • Former member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »

This photo . . . could almost be  ;) copied from Everhards coffeeshop site, which I'm ashamed to say I have only just rediscovered having looked at it before many moons ago . . . and is most worthwhile to spend some time looking at. What inspiration it is . . . utterly fantastical and such an enormous amount of work . . . and http://www.dollcoffeeshop.com/ArtImitatingArt/GalleryArtImitatingArt.html
is all about connexions . . .

Best wishes

Harem
Aira and Chloé are DS DollSweet Silicone Déesses and the DS Forum is fascinating.
Kira is a Private Island Beauty (PIB)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Latex ladies from www.domax.fr are wonderful - I pass on discounts to UK forum members
 - please PM if interested