Author Topic: my book is turning into a novel, what do you guys think?  (Read 1164 times)

anne boleyn

• Resident
my book is turning into a novel, what do you guys think?
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:17:50 PM »
Hi, Anne here. For those who dont know, Ive been researching for a book about dolls for about two years now. Due to poor health (shortly to be resolved, I hope, by upcoming surgery) its been hard to settle into systematic scholarly writing, but one day on a whim, I began writing a short story about a man who owns a doll, and then the thing seemed to grow and grow .... its not just about dolls, though. The man who owns the doll is sort of based on my dad personality-wise. A tragi-comic physics genius (Dad is a tragi-comic maths genius)! who is humorous and likeable but also tends to alienate people....

TaliaLunari

• Resident
Re: my book is turning into a novel, what do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »

Hi Anne nice to hear from you again! I'm glad to hear you've found an approach to this subject that works better for you! I'm actually working on a similar book myself though it's not about dolls it is about a synthetic relationship and is heavily influenced by doll/owner relationships. Best of luck to you and keep us updated I know I'd like to read your story when it's done.
Hello there,
The angel from my nightmare,
The shadow in the background of the morgue.
The unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley.
We can live like Jack and Sally
If we want.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
I hope it works out :)

and I really hope your upcoming surgery helps with your health issue.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Aikagi000

• Sr. Resident
  • Veronica M. Tsai         12/3/12  - Sinthetics b1H
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:57 PM »
oh nice. Some times it helps to step away from huge projects for a bit to take a breather and refocus. If your having fun it will be much easier to write. But try not to let the story drag you down though. It's easy to start getting too serious and end up with a tragedy. Then it gets hard to write.
“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.”
― Pablo Picasso

anne boleyn

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 08:28:12 PM »
hey thanks guys! i appreciate the encouragement!

aikai, appreciate what you say about tragedy - and i am friends with tragedy, as it were: my mother killed herself, my own health aint good, i have a mad Dad (loveable: but mad), Im divorced (although the divorce is not exactly a tragedy ...).

But in real life people bring humour into tragic situations and that's when you get tragi-comedy: more moving, in a way, then straight tragedy.

Eg: morning after my mother had committed suicide. I was staying with my Dad. My brother and I had slept on mattresses in  the same bedroom that night, like we used to when we were kids, holding each others hand. Then  first thing in the morning, Dad's up and about and getting ready to go lay some bets on with his bookie, as per usual. I yelled, are you mad? Its not business as usual! I know he was in shock now. And it was awful at the time. But ... tragi-comedy. 

Aikagi000

• Sr. Resident
  • Veronica M. Tsai         12/3/12  - Sinthetics b1H
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »
Yikes.... sorry to hear this, my apologies. I'd be pretty mad too.... well more like angry as hell but I don't know him so I cant say much. Personally though I don't see the comedy in it =| . But then again I dunno all the details. I get where you're going though.
“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.”
― Pablo Picasso

akira-fan

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »
Personally, I was looking forward to a good, unbiased general audience book about "Doll Culture" without the seemingly requisite sensationalism. If there was ONE person on planet Earth who could do it...

I have a novel about humanoid robots coming to grips with being "stupid machines" (based loosely on the horrible 1987 TV movie "The Stepford Children," but told from their point of view - flipping it like that makes it so unbearably sad) and a few abandoned projects that are more "on topic:" one about mannequins at a failing museum and another about a young man who ODs and ends up in a comatose state and is cared for more\less like a doll (sort of a mute "Intouchables").

On the other hand, maybe they'll cast "Tasha" and\or "Gabriel" in the movie version of her novel and we'd get the first doll to win an Academy Award. Don't laugh, he was the best part of that Japanese music video from a few years ago. ;D

AnneBoleyn

• New Resident
My book is turning into a novel, part 2
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »
hey - I remember you noq! do you remember me, AnneBoleyn? I had to chuck my book for ages because my "juvenile" arthritis got so bad again for a while (it's still classed as "juvenile", even though I'm 44 now:) . Re dating a real human woman - good for you! I hope it continues to go well. I'm back at work on my book now, and there's so much stuff that has happened since  I've been away, I have A LOT of research to do! So I''ll go back to kicking around this sight for a bit if no-one objects. My original idea hasn't changed: I want to explore the doll lifestyle in a respectful, non-salacious way - which is not to say that I wouldn't want to pose some questions about it all at the same time. It's such a HUGE thing now, and so many different aspects, so many different types of doll owners. And this makes it all the more interesting!

Anyway, should you (or indeed anyone) ever care to email me, my new email is whenthewickedman@gmail.com

Or send me a PM:)

AnneBoleyn

• New Resident
Re: My book is turning into a novel
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:30:41 AM »
PS (for the benefit of the moderators) I hope this site is still okay with me coming on now and again for research purposes, and that it's okay that I've shared my email address. I am happy to give out my real name as well should anyone doubt my good intentions - mainly since it would prove those good intentions, since if you check out my name on Google or whatever you'd see I've been interviewed numerous times in the Australian  press about this topic ... so it's kosher:) So happy to disclose real name to anyone who asks for it specifically in email or pm

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
     AnneBoleyn's post was moved from another location, and something may have been lost in the translation.
Quote from: AnneBoleyn
hey - I remember you noq! ... Re dating a real human woman - good for you! I hope it continues to go well.

That 'dating' was in reference to Szalinski's topic Forgive me for I have sinned where he stated
Quote from: Szalinski
I have actually been dating someone. I mean a real, living, carbon based human female.

I am not currently 'seeing' anyone, but I would not discount the possibility of a Hallmark Channel meeting with "the girl of my dreams" over the Christmas holiday. Until then, Feodora is my only 'love interest'.

AnneBoleyn,

I wish you success in your renewed venture. My own novel has been languishing since I started writing it in 1988. Maybe some day when I have a lot of time and nothing to do ...  :whistle:

;) ;) ;)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4