Author Topic: The Care and Feeding of Poppets  (Read 4780 times)

synthyours

• Founding Father
  • Resident
The Care and Feeding of Poppets
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
Seeing as I'm one of a few people who own a TeddyBabe here, I figured I may as well start a topic related to care & maintenance.

Please don't actually try to feed your TeddyBabe... that's a disturbing thought!

Cleaning

Some people apparently go months without cleaning their TBs, despite sleeping with them nightly. I have allergies and happen to be a bit of a clean freak, so my TB is cleaned on a relatively frequent basis. I use a solution consisting of 2 capfuls of Woolite/laundry soap for delicates, a capful of downy, and roughly 28-30 oz of water. Spray the solution on the doll and wipe the doll down with a damp cloth.

You don't need to spray them with the entire bottle, mind you. Just enough to get the plush "skin" damp. The idea is not to soak the stuffing/filler!

Other TB owners have used Teddy Bear Cleaner/Bath by Gund (Build-A-Bear Workshop also sells their own variety), Oxyclean, and a variety of natural stain removers. Personally, the home-made solution works best, and the cost per bottle is minimal.

Repairs

I recommend keeping clear acrylic or white thread, and an assortment of smaller needles handy. A "seam ripper" or stitch puller is also essential if you don't want to have to cut the fabric; your repairs will be much cleaner if you use one. A very sharp razor blade and a steady hand will also do in a pinch. Also, a tube of Krazy Glue (or a hot glue gun) can be handy if eyebrows, eyes, or lips come unattached or need to be replaced.

My TeddyBabe is a "classic" 3'11" - 4'0" model, not one of the newer 4'4" - 4'5" models. EW doesn't seem to use precisely the same parts inbetween production runs and the internals of a TB aren't well documented, so keep in mind that some of these instructions might be different for your TB.

Pubic Hair

I haven't the slightest idea what EW uses for pubic hair on the classic TBs, but they definitely glue it on very well. I initially thought I'd remove the pubic hair, but I realized that attempting to do so when the doll was new would lead to damage. The hair will eventually begin to come off, I recommend waiting until then to remove it.

Simply pull very gently on the patch of hair/fabric, using a very sharp razor blade when it meets resistance. I also recommend using a fabric steamer to loosen the adhesive in tough spots, as small tears do happen even if you're very careful with the blade and removing the hair.

My recommendation in the future is to order the dolls without pubic hair and add your own later if you want it!
Wrist/Arm damage

Classic TBs can often have issues with wrist or forearm breaks. Following instructions at another forum, I opened the TB's arm at the wrist using a lengthwise cut along one of the seams. It turns out that there was no wire ring but rather a joint wrapped in teflon tape or some sort of plastic. I ended up having to extend the cut about 6" in order to have enough room to examine the malfunction and attempt a fix.

If you need to cut in to a TB try to keep the seam as small as possible. After my own experience, I recommend cutting shorter width-wise openings rather than lengthwise ones, as there's less sewing involved.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
Re: The Care and Feeding of Poppets
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
Thanks Synth !

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Walking on the Bluegrass
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
Exellent tutorial, Synthyours!

Clear and complete. Thank you for posting it!

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
Yes, great info Synth!  Making it a sticky.

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
I'm really glad you posted this!

I was just recently thinking about how to go about cleaning Mandy, and now I have my answer!
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Esmeralda - RD Hybrid Samantha Saint Body+++ (Jessica Drake head); Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

happiness

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »
My Teddy Babes are ordered and will ship this week! Thanks Synthyours, for the great info. Now I will be ready to take care of them when they arrive. :-*
I've never met a Doll I didn't like!!!

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
I have a Teddy Babe myself and she is need of a good cleaning.

Thanks for posting this info and Nicky said thanks too....

Coral
Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

joeyjoey

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
Thanks synth!  Great post.  This information is very helpful in keeping the girls in their best condition.

Nicely done!

dollluver

• New Resident
  • Dolls dolls dolls
    • The Doll Room Yahoo group
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
Great info synth. Very helpfull. One thing I have noticed with my 3 year old Tina, she has gotten realy soft. Perticurly in her mid section. I almost feel her streatching when i pick her up not holding her lower area. I worry about her deterieration. Is this a common problem among older TBs?
Proud owner of a doodman original Tess and a TB Tina who owns me

Mr_Gasket

• New Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
I have had great luck cleaning my babes (mostly faces) with Hydrogen Peroxide first, to loosen up any dirt accumulated from snuggling, and then with rubbing alcohol to break up and wash away the oils.  Clean is good! ;D

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 05:09:07 AM »
Heavens above!!

Nothing to do with TB's just astonished to see Mr-Gasket posting here.... Hello....  :)

Now back to TB's
for album click the pic

happiness

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
 :) Thanks for the tip Mr_Gasket!
I've never met a Doll I didn't like!!!

ShopHotDolls

• New Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »