Author Topic: Another eye and eyelash thread...  (Read 2379 times)

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
  • Old enough to play with dolls
Re: Another eye and eyelash thread...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »
Send MannequinFan a PM. He might be able to make them.  8)

MannequinFan

• New Resident
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »
Now thats really a brilliant little tutorial , what a very clever idea, need some for 27mm eyes now.
The Sin would look great being able to blink/wink ... :)

Hi Ray,
I have made 26mm eyes for the JM dolls.  It would be easy to up the size a little to 27mm if that's what the Sins take.
If you can PM me with some pics and measurements of the Sin eyes I can design them to whatever configuration is needed.

MannequinFan

• New Resident
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
Hey Doc, thanks so much for those pics.  I'm glad you were able to get them adjusted to your liking. :)
That paint color really did work well - thanks for showing that!
I agree, I think they look more natural with just the uppers in place.  Actually I made the flared ones for use on the lowers, but they work nicely for the uppers as well.  So from now on, I will just ship them with the flared ones only.  That way you'll have two sets if you only use the uppers.

The lower lid inserts were just intended to be for a quick and dirty makeover for those that don't want to mess with doing makeup.  For the most natural look I would recommend just using some eyeliner or makeup for the lower lashes.  You always run the risk of getting glue on the eyeballs when trying to superglue the lower lashes, and superglue will eventually cause damage to the TPE if the lashes get knocked or torn off.

The eyelid inserts are a one size fits all design and these heads all have different eye shapes and opening sizes, so one just needs to play around with them a bit until they look the best.
The #36 head has more wide open rounded eye openings so the lids will need to be closed a little more as you have found.

Indeed the key to expressions is getting the eyes positioned properly.
Generally if you see white above and below the iris it's going to give the doll a shocked or surprised look.
If you see whites above the iris only it's going to give her a look of being extremely frightened or horrified.

She looks great in the last photo, but still a bit surprised. :)
The most satisfying look IMO is to adjust the eyes so that the upper eyelid goes just over the top of the pupil, so if you were to move them up just a little it would give her a more sultry look.

:thumb:

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
  Actually I made the flared ones for use on the lowers, but they work nicely for the uppers as well.  So from now on, I will just ship them with the flared ones only.  That way you'll have two sets if you only use the uppers.

LOL! I was trying to figure which ones were the top ones! Maybe if I put them in right, it would help! :-[

She looks great in the last photo, but still a bit surprised. :)
The most satisfying look IMO is to adjust the eyes so that the upper eyelid goes just over the top of the pupil, so if you were to move them up just a little it would give her a more sultry look.
:thumb:

Oh yeah. When I first put them in, I thought she was going to reach out and choke me! Didn't post THAT one!

Thanks or he tips! Will keep you posted.  :thumb:

MannequinFan

• New Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »
LOL! I was trying to figure which ones were the top ones! Maybe if I put them in right, it would help! :-[

I think I actually like the flared ones better for the uppers now that I've been seeing it.
Gives it that winged mascara look. :)

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »

I think I actually like the flared ones better for the uppers now that I've been seeing it.
Gives it that winged mascara look. :)

I agree though I have both in at the moment to see what they look like. Winged on top kinda looks like the BT lids.
I think I will wind up with just the winged ones on top... maybe  :laugh:
If I do, I think I'm going to get some flat black model paint and hit the top if that wing so the lashes blend in better. Whaddya think?

We did brows today as I had some free time. They are water tattoos I got from headcovers.com. A sheet of 10 pair will run you about $11.00 including shipping. I figured this will do while I investigate the "real" ones they have for $45.00
They're pretty easy. Cut them off the sheet, remove the plastic cover sheet, place them and hold a damp paper towel on them for 90 seconds and voilĂ !

Next is the magnetic head connector I got from Indigo, makeup and a bit of a "celebration" this weekend!  :ceej:

MannequinFan

• New Resident
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »
I think I'm going to get some flat black model paint and hit the top if that wing so the lashes blend in better. Whaddya think?

Yes that's a good idea.  In fact that's how I'm doing them now. :)
Acrylic paint works fine also.  I'm using Behr flat black acrylic paint from Home Depot so it might be better to stay with acrylic.
A bit less stinky also.

I would recommend staying with the winged ones on top.  All my customers seem to be doing it that way.
To be honest, I'm not even putting the straight ones in the set any more.  That way if you don't use the lowers, you'll have two sets of lids for the uppers.
I can send you another set of winged lids if you like so you'll have plenty to experiment with and maybe have different eyelid colors for different makeup schemes.

On the eyebrows, I think they need to come down just a bit.  I took some eyebrows from a photo and shopped them in on Brynn.
They usually start almost down in the eye socket a bit and then angle up over the brow ridge.

For lower lashes on my #21 head I just used a toothpick to make some little hair strokes with acrylic paint.
A little eye shadow at the outside corners helps to blend everything together...

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
Cool.
Thanks for the tips!  8)

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:22 PM »
Hey I got to reading this post and I had to go look, MF you are right you are sending them both winged now. Both of mine are winged, I hadn't noticed before as I only used them on top and had not payed any attention. they were set in pairs in the box and I grabbed what I thought looked right for the upper ones. But after looking at the remaining two, they are winged as well, so I put them on Roxie, now that is a deal that you can't beat 2 for the price of 1.  Again thanks, I really need to find some time to take some pictures.
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

MannequinFan

• New Resident
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
Hehe, sorry guys!  I got your girls mixed up. :-[
It's hell getting old.

I changed April to Brynn in my last post.

BTW, the paint color I used for the eyebrows and lower lashes is Behr 790B-6 Stone Hearth flat finish.
You can get 8oz sample jars at Home Depot for about 3 bucks.

Crazy I'm glad you like em.  Hope to see pics of April soon! :)

One other thing I found is that the eyelids can look nice painted to look like the eye shadow color.
A little eye shadow around the eye opening helps to blend them in...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5mGmCfR8jcILW1DaFlGTmJmLVdJWDQ0U3A0OVRLY0lsMHFR

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
Hey Mannequin Fan  I have a complaint about the eyelids I got for April, ever since I put her movable eyelids in, she seems to want to sleep a lot more, it is really hard to get her to wake up now, she keeps going on about how good it is to get a good nights sleep!!!!!  :-*

It will probably be after the holidays, but I can see I will need to order another pair of them, Kayla is getting really jealous of April and Roxie. They continually taunt Kayla that she isn't able to get as good a sleep as they can.

Take Care and have a save Holiday Season!

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
So, today I opened the box from ManequinFan to get the glue for an eyelash that fell off and noticed I never put in the second set of "lids". They are the eyeliner lids for the bottom.
I like them and Mrs Doc says they look good but I'd like little outside input.

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
They really set her eyes off, they look fantastic!   :thumb:  :thumb:

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
They really set her eyes off, they look fantastic!   :thumb:  :thumb:

Thanks. I think they put a little maturity on her too.  :redhead:

Mrs Doc picked that new lip color for her too, Dusty Rose. :thumb:

For those of you who were wondering about the upgrade, contact member MannequinFan. Well worth the few dollars!

BisexualBetty

• New Resident
  • Alice+Betty=<3
    • Alices blog:
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
Hello, I am new here so I apologise in advance if someone already said this, but buy eyelashes for humans on ebay, extremely cheap and come in different shapes and colours (normal ones in brown and black only though). I also have a question:What adhesive should I use on a TPE doll?