Author Topic: Heavy duty doll stand MkII  (Read 423 times)

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
  • She ain't heavy she's just rubber
Heavy duty doll stand MkII
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
Some of you might remember my heavy duty doll stand, here's the gallery: Easy Izzy Crane
The changes I made were to add a butt pad and add some short sections to the back of the base because the weight of the winch made it back heavy when unloaded.

Someone on the UK doll forum commissioned the same, he's got an Mechadoll and now a Sin.  He wanted it so the long upright could be folded in half for easier storage.  So basically its the same as my original stand but with the added feature of folding the main upright. ;)  Also because this one is steel I've welded stainless steel scuff plates to the bottom, so if it does get scratched it won't go rusty.

Here it is in its bare form (unpainted), I've only just finished the painting yesterday with 2 Pack satin black, so I got to let it harden off for the next few days...

The top section still bolts to the base with 4 bolts.

The top simply pivots up and 2 bolts at the front secure the whole assembly, nuts are welded.

This time I spot welded the winch bolts to the winch backing plate so the user only needs to slide the winch bolts through the mounting holes in the stand.

Same as the original, the hook threads through the top and the webbing simply glides over some round bar which is s/steel bar so it doesn't matter if the paint wears off.

Now the test, its pulling up just shy of 60 KG (almost 130 lbs) and is still rock solid, so even the heaviest dolls wouldn't be a problem.

The rest of the pictures are here: MD doll stand mk 2

Any questions or anyone want dimensions so they can build a similar stand just let me know.  Even though this is for HEAVY dolls I still use mine for my AD, so could be used for any doll with a neck hook or head hook.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
Re: Heavy duty doll stand MkII
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »
Your welding's better than mine ...lol

Nice bit of work, perhaps MkIII could have lockable rubber tired swivel castors... now theres a thought  :) 
for album click the pic

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Your welding's better than mine ...lol

Nice bit of work, perhaps MkIII could have lockable rubber tired swivel castors... now theres a thought  :)

I'm not surprised you mentioned castors.  I've thought about it but still believe with this style of stand its far better not to have them.  The reality is you wouldn't want to wheel the stand anywhere with a heavy doll attached coz she/he would be swaying about.  Yep you could wheel the stand on its own but its not that hard to pick it up and move it coz its not as heavy as it looks, and lets be honest we're not as lucky as our American brothers as far as open spaces in our houses go.. so the stand wouldn't really be moved much anyway.  My main reason for not wanting to add wheels are its going to be a lot more stable without than with - especially if you're winching a heavy doll up from a chair.  One more reason is - carpets... as it is it won't leave nasty indents because the weight is spread over a large area, if it had castors they'd leave 4 nasty dents in you carpet.
That's my reasoning why to not add castors with this style of stand.  :P

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
That's a nice beefy looking stand  :thumb:

I agree with the casters being a bit of a problem. The stand can be more unstable, and harder to hook up a doll where the stand will move unless you put your foot on it.
If you wanted wheels on it, you could put a couple on the back so when you tip it back you can roll it around, like a 2 wheeler;

Now that Mechadoll is offering a neck bolt you can use a doll dollie.  Of course it means you need to buy an other doll  :whistle:

Trying to move a doll on a stand is not recommended, but it would make moving an empty stand easier.

If you do have a neck bolt then you could use air fittings to make the doll more secure;

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
FlashGordoll,

Nice work! That looks like it could hold a lot more weight than you have on it. I do agree that moving a doll on a stand is perilous. They tend to be top-heavy and want to roll off to one side.

The Camp / incred doll stand has the advantage that I can slide it around with no perceivable detriment to the carpet (very low pile material). As you said, the weight is distributed over the entire baseplate.

If your stand could be made with beveled bottom edges, it should also slide freely. Perhaps a section of smooth white nylon material (like a kitchen cutting board) under the baseplate may help.

8) 8) 8)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
OK a well reasoned argument Flash ... :thumb:

Everyone mentions carpet making it easier to slide the stand ,well having polished wooden flooring it would be not viable.
But an easy solution in my case would carpet or similar glued to the base.

The major advantage over Increds design, which I think was your main concept, was to be able to lift dolls up.
So to have a transportable compact lifting device for our heavy dolls is a brilliant idea.
And yet another MkIII mod possibly, a small electric winch for us really lazy people.

Well in the doll world there can never be enough lifting devices , 10 out of 10 Flash  :thumb:
for album click the pic

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 05:37:39 AM »
Thanks everyone and some good points made. :thumb:

The customer/doll owner who I'm making this for didn't want wheels as he basically agreed with my reasoning why its not a good idea with this style of stand, stability being the main reason followed by those other reasons.  And yep, the main purpose of this stand is to winch a heavy doll up from a seated position, picking up a very hefty doll from a seated position and hooking onto a static stand can be a problem - you could easily hurt your lower back and/or the doll especially if you miss the hooking point.  The winch makes it easy and safe to lift a hefty doll for dressing or even standing up photos, my original has been flawless and easy to use so I've stuck with the same design coz if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I've always found it really easy to use for dressing the dolls, because the doll is dangling I can just turn the doll 90° or 180° without any effort, the doll stays put because she's got contact with the butt pad.

The original does indeed slide on carpet quite nicely so there's no reason why this one won't do the same - although I never slid it too far with a doll attached its still able to.

Definitely if someone had all hardwood or laminate floors in their house, carpet could easily be stuck to the bottom of the base to make it slide. ;)

Yes it would probably be possible to add an electric winch for lazy sods - although I've never seen one with webbing, they've always got cable so pulleys would have to be added.

It was a lot of work and I'm not making much money out of it to be honest - however, its a nice thought to know it will be helping a fellow doll owner.  As long as he doesn't play Tarzan & Jane with it he should be perfectly safe. ;D

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
It was a lot of work and I'm not making much money out of it to be honest - however, its a nice thought to know it will be helping a fellow doll owner.

I Agree. The materials don't cost much, but the labor/time is where the cost is. Then if I ship out of country I cover the cost over $100.

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »
I Agree. The materials don't cost much, but the labor/time is where the cost is. Then if I ship out of country I cover the cost over $100.

Yep, certainly is a lot of work and as you say its the labour that's the biggest part.
I seriously underestimated this one, must be over 3 days of work all in..  If I made these for a living I would have to charge 2.5 times the cost of what I've made it for otherwise I'd go bankrupt. :whistle:

Anyways, enough moaning for today.  Its all done, paint has dried off and it don't look half bad.

Butt pad made, the 10mm s/steel nut was TIG welded to a bit of s/steel plate which is screwed into a bit of ply wood, a double layer of seat foam/sponge was glued onto the ply and to finish off I just stapled a section of cotton over to finish it... the cloth is from a pair of trousers that didn't fit me. :laugh:

The butt pad nut serves as the lower winch mount nut.

There's just enough room for the winch handle to swing past.

In the testing pics I forgot to thread the strap  through the bars of this winch, in these pics its in the correct position.

And that's that done..  phew!

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:08:21 AM »
These are photos from the customer of his Sin using the stand. ;D

Unfortunately the butt pad is too low for the doll but it should be an easy enough fix for the owner to make.

He's told me that there's a gap and the dolls bum isn't resting on the metal.  He can simply cut a longer bit of ply and cushion it and use the same mounting plate.  I dunno whether the Sin has longer legs, plus the high heels make a lot of difference in height.

Other than that hiccup he's well pleased with the stand and found it easy to assemble and use which is great news to hear. :)

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
Good news and another lovely Celestine  hanging around... :thumb:

And dare I suggest MKIV could have an adjustable bum pusher..... and you must pissed off with my suggestions ...... :laugh: ;D :laugh: :P
for album click the pic

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »
Good news and another lovely Celestine  hanging around... :thumb:

And dare I suggest MKIV could have an adjustable bum pusher..... and you must pissed off with my suggestions ...... :laugh: ;D :laugh: :P

Shut it Ray!  :laugh: