Author Topic: reactions of tpe when put on silicone and silicone on tpe ?  (Read 485 times)

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
reactions of tpe when put on silicone and silicone on tpe ?
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:57:52 AM »
question is in the subject, but basically if tpe is left on silicone and vice versa will it damage either material
for album click the pic

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
  • She ain't heavy she's just rubber
Re: reactions of tpe when put on silicone and silicone on tpe ?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 05:00:54 PM »
Probably yes and yes.  I've read here and there that TPE can react quite badly with plat silicone if left in direct contact (touching), first a sweaty oily substance appears indicating a chemical reaction and if they're left to fight it out worse things could happen.  Remember reading somewhere someone had left a TPE insert into a silicone doll for too long and the silicone was eaten into by the reaction, basically damaging the doll beyond repair.

There are some sex toy experiments regarding different materials TPR and PVC reacting: http://dangerouslilly.com/2016/05/melted-sex-toy-jar-updates/

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
Hey Flash;   I have read that same post, about the TPE insert in a Silicone Doll,  and others that bring me to nightmares, but at the same time there are those like Samara78 and Fantastic Plastic that have used Silicone on TPE dolls for makeup purposes and as far as I know they have had pretty good luck with it!

So it may be the type of silicone used and the specific TPE formulation of the doll!
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

Begog

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
If you just need to take some pics with a plat silicone doll, I say go for it, but I wouldn't leave them in contact long term. I have heard that tin silicone can do damage rather quickly.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
When I did the breast softness test with Carleigh and Myfanwy, Carleigh couldn't believe that Myffy had softer breasts so she had to feel for herself  :whistle:

However when I pealed her off of Myffy her hands were almost dripping wet with oil. She was probably in that position for about 10 minutes while I set up and took the pictures. Afterwards I wiped them both with Alcohol, and didn't see any damage.

So I can say that Ruby platinum silicone doesn't play well with WM's TPE.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:39 AM »
OK, thanks peeps, rather than take chances I will keep the two apart.
for album click the pic

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 06:04:07 AM »
Hey Flash;   I have read that same post, about the TPE insert in a Silicone Doll,  and others that bring me to nightmares, but at the same time there are those like Samara78 and Fantastic Plastic that have used Silicone on TPE dolls for makeup purposes and as far as I know they have had pretty good luck with it!

So it may be the type of silicone used and the specific TPE formulation of the doll!

CC, I found the thread on the other forum, it turns out it was Haremlover's Z-One doll that suffered: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=77119&hilit=silicone+tpe+reaction

And I did find info that Samara78 uses 1 part silicone (tinted with acrylic paint?) for applying make up to TPE dolls.  So maybe its only the 2 part silicone that has a bad reaction to TPE.

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16:46 AM »
Flash:  You may be on to something there, because I think I read something about using a silicone for windshield or aquarium repair that worked with TPE dolls. But I am still a bit too skiddish to attempt it. From what I have read the reation comes on pretty quickly depending on the Silicone type and the TPE Blend! And I have heard that if it goes to far it is almost impossible to stop before major damage is done to either the silicone part or the TPE part. I will see about contacting  Fantastic Plastic and Samara and see if they both use the same type of silicone!

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
Flash:  You may be on to something there, because I think I read something about using a silicone for windshield or aquarium repair that worked with TPE dolls. But I am still a bit too skiddish to attempt it. From what I have read the reation comes on pretty quickly depending on the Silicone type and the TPE Blend! And I have heard that if it goes to far it is almost impossible to stop before major damage is done to either the silicone part or the TPE part. I will see about contacting  Fantastic Plastic and Samara and see if they both use the same type of silicone!

CC, I think that might have been Permatex flowable windscreen sealant that they used for make up, although yup best to check with those that have used it successfully. :thumb:

I've been reading all the reports I can find and the reaction is basically the same as what Incred described.  Haremlover's report was a worst case scenario that snowballed over night.  Milage may vary with certain compositions of TPE Vs certain compositions of silicone, the general consensus is to keep 2 part silicone and TPE from touching, short term may not be a problem but everyone should be aware of a possible bad reaction between the two materials. :o 

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:28:41 AM »
As usual magnificent research Flash ,thanks.

As said I will not mix the two, had thought of using tpe inserts on the silicone dolls but will not take the risk now.
for album click the pic

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »
Ray:   the really disturbing part is in Harems case, the TPE insert came with the doll when purchased new from Z-Onedoll!  As it turns out the TPE is their standard insert as it is much softer than the Silicone insert which is a Request Only item! Go Figure!

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »
I have PM'd Fantastic Plastic and asked him to join this thread and bestow some of his knowledge on this subject. As he has first hand knowledge of using a silicone product successfully on TPE, I think a little first hand input would be good!    ;D

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »
As said I will not mix the two, had thought of using tpe inserts on the silicone dolls but will not take the risk now.

Ray, you could still use a TPE insert in a silicone doll as long as there's a barrier between the two like a plastic bag around the insert.  As long as the two aren't touching there shouldn't be any risk of a bad reaction.

Quite a few peeps mix and match TPE heads with silicone doll bodies or vise versa but they keep the two materials from touching by using a washer or anything to stop the two materials touching each other.

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
I have PM'd Fantastic Plastic and asked him to join this thread and bestow some of his knowledge on this subject. As he has first hand knowledge of using a silicone product successfully on TPE, I think a little first hand input would be good!    ;D

:thumb:

mi6c

• New Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
First off I am sorry to only be around every now and then these days.
Now for my take on this - based on a large amount of posts read and some info from private parties involved in testing this and customers creating hybrid dolls( I do head-body adapters).
Whether or not TPE and Silicone react depends on the actual two substances in contact, i.e. the precise type of TPE and the type of silicone.
The thing to look out for is oilyness developing at the contact area( fact) and as far as is known it is most likely not a direct chemical reaction but more likely an indirect one where the substances do not "react" as such( forming a new substance) but where one substance kinda invites to store the other better, resulting in the Silicone to get brittle( it is leaking silicone oil) and the TPE to get mushy( it incorporates the oil into its cavities instead of the mineral oil normally there)( attempted explanation, may be wrong).
The extend to which this happens has been reported as bad as significant oiling within minutes and severe damages over long exposure time( see Haremlovers Z-One) on one end and I also know about combinations that apparently do not have any issues even when in contact for hours - mainly with 4woods Silicone involved.
So the verdict is to err on the save side and keep the two separated as best you can and to at least initially have a keen eye and check often if you are actually having a setup where contact may exist - be it a photo session or a hybrid doll.
Thankfully, these issues seem to be related to RTV-2 silicone only, certainly so for the platinum cured ones and possibly also for tin cured ones but do not happen( to the best of my knowledge) with RTV-1 silicone( humidity cured) such as Silpoxy, Permatex Flowable Windshield sealer or Wacker E43 / E4.
Tests indicate that RTV-1 will show no "reaction" at all with TPE( again, current knowledge of limited TPE probes) and since its used to glue RTV-2 or paint on it is also safe there.
That makes RTV-1 the currently best "separation washer" for hybrid dolls( TPE head on Sil body or the other way round), the only known issue being that the RTV-1 will not "stick" permanently to the TPE side so if you apply it on that side you will have to check everything is still ok every now and then.
I hope this helps  a bit.
Kind regards.
優月 - Yuzuki = Orient Industry Ange Bihaku Koyuki head on Silicone Arts Super Styling( SS) body
艶 - Tsuya = Orient Industry Petit Jewel Izumi head on Real Taste 146L body
If you have questions about adapters to put a head on a different producers body feel free to ask me.