Author Topic: HELP!!!! Stephanie's Face Velcro Repair  (Read 343 times)

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
HELP!!!! Stephanie's Face Velcro Repair
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »

I'll be using my sleeping face until this problem is repaired.

Over the years Velcro tabs inside of my face have come away from the silicone.

My man's tried everything he can but still can't find something which can bind the Velcro taps to the inside of my face. He's tried two part glues, a glue gun, and silicone chalking but nothing will stick to the silicone. They all just peel away.

The super strong 3M medical silicone glue was really hard for him to find five years ago and now it can't be found at all.

Please help! How can he get the Velcro tabs to adhere to the silicone face?

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
Re: HELP!!!! Stephanie's Face Velcro Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:41:25 PM »
I've had this happen too...I found a solution that has worked well for me...

Assuming the problem is getting the adhesive to sick to the Velcro, ans not the back of the face,
very carefully remove the residual built up silicone from the back of the face, from previous repairs with an exacto blade, to get to the original surface.
Use MEK or acetone to thoroughly clean the back of the face (just the area where the pads will go)...but don't use it on the Velcro. I'd recommend new pads if you have them.

Spread a not too thick but not too thin layer of one part silicone adhesive on the area you'll attach the Velcro to, completely covering it. then spread a little on the back of the Velcro pad completely covering it. Apply the pad gently pressing it in, and let some of the adhesive ooze out.... the trick is to let just a little of it ooze out and come just a little around the edges of the Velcro. Just a little bit all the way around the pad and work it in the loops...this will give the silicone adhesive something on the pad to grab onto and will secure the hold. Ever since I've tried this...the pads have never come off again.

for good results I'd recommend using Silpoxy if you can get it... if not, I'd suggest GE II Kitchen and bath silicone caulk.

I wish you the best of luck :)
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:52:02 PM »
I have this problem all the time with Ceilidh.

As Ceej said you need to clean off the old adhesive of both surfaces, and use acetone to clean.

Very important; you need new Velcro pads. I have tried reusing the old pads, but they last only a little while.

Silpoxy works the best as an adhesive for the pads.

Just order a kit from Abyss for best results  :thumb:

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
I have this problem all the time with Ceilidh.

As Ceej said you need to clean off the old adhesive of both surfaces, and use acetone to clean.

Very important; you need new Velcro pads. I have tried reusing the old pads, but they last only a little while.

Silpoxy works the best as an adhesive for the pads.

Just order a kit from Abyss for best results  :thumb:

Yup, I have used Silpoxy for this repair successfully.

Be sure to clean the area before attempting the repair or they will not stick very well.

I like to use Acetone but I have used rubbing alcohol as well.

Coral
Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »

Assuming the problem is getting the adhesive to sick to the Velcro, ans not the back of the face,

It's actually the opposite. The adhesive sticks fine the old pad (yes I'll use new pad) but nothing sticks to the silicone inside of the face. It just peels away.

What is Silpoxy? Where can I find it?

I recall Incred showing how a gold type of caulking used in a caulking gun was good for repairs.

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
Is this the Sil-Poxy you're referring to? What retail stores is it sold in?

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/sil-poxy/

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
Silpoxy is a nice fast drying silicone adhesive.

I have never seen it in stores myself.

But you can get it on line here:  https://www.smooth-on.com/products/sil-poxy/
 or here: http://www.sculpturesupply.com/detail.php?id=799281&sf=category&vl=Adhesives
or you can get it in a small envelope from Abyss, here:  https://secure.realdoll.com/packet-of-silicone-adhesive/

I can't stress enough, It's very VERY important to clean the area with either MEK or Acetone, I've tried alcohol and in my experience, its just not effective enough when trying to repair platinum cure silicone.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
Pop rivets are quite successful but they do stick out a bit..... :laugh:

But seriously , as said cleaning with acetone is essential, I have used tube silicone caulk from diy stores up to silpoxy ,all work.
Also I have pierced holes in the velcro pad so a little silicone eases through then flattened with your finger, this can add an additional key.
for album click the pic

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 05:11:44 AM »
Ray Rentell said:
Also I have pierced holes in the velcro pad so a little silicone eases through then flattened with your finger, this can add an additional key.

Smart Idea!!!!

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »
Thanks. I'm trying these ideas and giving the adhesives plenty of time to dry.

I'll probably end up using Silpoxy. I see it's expensive. I think this is what my man used on me years ago and it worked great. He ordered it from Abyss.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
I like silpoxy for this sort of thing, it's proven to adhere well and it sets up nice and fast!  Let us know how things work out :)

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
I tried some other adhesives with equally negative results.

I ordered some Silpoxy directly from Abyss so we'll see how that works.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
Hello Stephanie Doll :)

Did you get your silpoxy yet? and how did the repair go?

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »
My guess is she is sleeping on it...

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to update this topic.

My owner tried several other adhesives but they were also useless.

The Silpoxy was expensive but yes it did work! He allowed a 48 drying time before reattaching my eyes open face.