Author Topic: The future of TPE  (Read 845 times)

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
  • Old enough to play with dolls
The future of TPE
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Not really looking to start a Ford or Chevy topic but what do you all feel is the future of our TPE girls?

Silicone has held sway over the industry and with good reason but do you feel that TPE will ever get to the point that it rivals silicone in value and options?
There are certainly great advantage to silicone but TPE speaks to the budgets of folks like myself.
If Brynn broke tomorrow, I'd likely get one just like her with the exception of a taller body.

Hopefully by then, WM will have improved the gooseneck...

What say thee?

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
Re: The future of TPE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
    Doc;   WM and all of the Jinsan Umbrella vendors have a new skeleton out that does not use the gooseneck! Most TPE manufacturers are finally moving away from that nightmare! As far as I am aware the new skeleton that uses a fully hinged neck assembly and also incorporates shrugging capabilities, This is an option still. But it is an option that is well worth considering. The only drawback that I can see with this skeleton is that they have begun to weld the nuts to the bolts, then they weld the bolt to the component. What this means is what in the past would have been a simple process to tighten a joint or in some cases that I have run into Loosen a joint, now is a major undertaking! So one big step forward and two big steps backward. Also there seems to be a TPE "I believe" doll either out already or about to make her first appearance that has jointed fingers!
    So the TPE ladies and Guys will be here for quite a long time to come, and they are still improving them at a furious pace! Also there seems to be coming onto the market TPE dolls with built in A.I. functionality as well. Also Piper Doll an offshoot of DollForever has out their new dolls one at I believe at 138cm and one at 169cm that does not have an attachable head, the head and body is all one piece. Great for Photo enthusiasts.  Also Sili Doll with their new doll is using BodyColor by Missatleur as their exclusive Makeup. This means Makeup that wont wash off and will thrive with the use of baby oil and/or Vaseline! 

I have said this before and I will say it again. And just to clarify ahead of time ( This is only my personal opinion ) so please everyone don't read anything more into it! But the Big Name Silicone doll makers really need to come out with standing options! This is a feature that all dolls should have by now!  I do not mean this as anything more than a really honest suggestion and a BIG HOPE! that it will happen soon!

CrazyCajun and the Girls!

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
    Doc;   WM and all of the Jinsan Umbrella vendors have a new skeleton out that does not use the gooseneck! Most TPE manufacturers are finally moving away from that nightmare! As far as I am aware the new skeleton that uses a fully hinged neck assembly and also incorporates shrugging capabilities, This is an option still.
Oh thank goodness! Words I have been waiting to hear!
I thank you as well for your efforts in this direction.

I have said this before and I will say it again. And just to clarify ahead of time ( This is only my personal opinion ) so please everyone don't read anything more into it! But the Big Name Silicone doll makers really need to come out with standing options! This is a feature that all dolls should have by now!  I do not mean this as anything more than a really honest suggestion and a BIG HOPE! that it will happen soon!

I think the silicone girls have their stand, which is just fine due to the weight they carry and expense of the product.
Their weight may be equal to some TPE girls but I think if I had a silicone girl and she fell over, I'd actually cry!
Both have their niche just as high end automobiles do.
Sadly, I can only afford a Corolla as opposed to a 959. :(

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »
I see the standing option a bit in the opposite direction. I really wish the TPE dolls would come out with a neck bolt. That is more lacking than the standing option.

With stands and modifiers I can safely make my doll stand, Standing is nice, but try and oil, wash, and powder your doll in a tub. The bolts will scratch the tub, if you make her stand, and if you lay her down what a pain in the balls moving her. Having her suspended in a tub is the best way to clean a doll.

And another thing is those damn bolts in the feet. Why can't they make hard TPE caps that fit the bolts. They should be able make them in the same color as the body, and sit flush with the soles of the feet.

The best thing TPE has going for it is the cost, and somewhat the weight. Although the weight is close because TPE doesn't have foam cores. TPE feels somewhat softer because of this, but my 5 year old Ruby and new Realdoll are softer than my new TPE.

I must say TPE dolls are improving at a fast pace, and are much better option than they were even a year ago. Will they replace silicone dolls? Maybe for the every day doll owner, or new to the sport, but the serious enthusiast will still go for silicone.

tealeaf

• New Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:45:27 PM »
From what I've read dollforever is currently working on (and has put into a couple dolls) a completely internal standing foot as well. No bolts at all. At least that's what a vendor was telling me about them. It's not on all their models yet (the 130cm piper doll for certain, I don't know what else) but even their other ones are using a modified foot that is going that direction. So that might not be an issue in a year or two.

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »
@Doc Brown;     The doll market is advancing at a furious pace, this is true for ALL dolls TPE and Silicone! But I would agree that they are and will continue to be aimed at two different markets! But both the Silicone and the TPE dolls can benefit from advancements in the other!

@incred;     TPE and Silicone, the way that I see it is two different markets. Sort of like a Chevy vs Cadillac. Both are very good.  To me they both have their pros and their cons. And I can see where Dolls of any kind could benefit from having a bolt or some means of being hung with the heads on. "Many TPE dolls today can be hung, with the head removed, with NO damage". But showering Dolls while standing is a very effective and rewarding way to clean them. I do it all the time with no damage to my tube. The bolts have some issues, there are numerous ways to deal with those issues! You have one way yourself and it works well.  But, the ability to stand, even if they must use a third point of contact, such as leaning on something opens up a whole other world, especially for photography! And no I would and do NOT recommend roaming more than an arm's reach away from a doll while they are standing!  You must remember they are static and balanced on a very small area!
      And the fact that silicone can be poured with different hardnesses or durometers for different areas that makes it even easier for the manufacturer to do a completely closed sole so there would be no need for external bolts or anything else! This is simply an option that at this day and time should be offered on all dolls.

@tealeaf;     DollForever initially marketed their dolls as being able to stand with a completely enclosed foot design. This proved to be an error on their part. They are very capable of doing this now with NO damage, but only for a short period of time, unless you have really tight shoes on them. But to have them stand for the time it takes to shower them or to take a photograph of them is done all the time. This is no longer endorsed by DollForever though. But they are indeed still headed that way. And I do believe they will get there. But the advantage that Silicone has over TPE in the area of standing with an enclosed sole on the foot is that Silicone being poured can have a varied hardness in different areas of the doll. TPE being injection molded cannot as easily accomplish this feat. If it could be done economically with TPE it would already have been done. But I can see that it will be done probably in the next 2 to 3 years! There are ways now to do it, but not economically from a commercial aspect!

The bottom line is that the future of Dolls have in fact never been Brighter and this is for All flavors of Dolls from the simplest fabric doll to the most advanced Silicone Goddess. We will see them become our Personal Assistants very soon!  And I for one can't wait, I only hope I can see them get to that point before I die!

JohnConnor

• Sr. Resident
  • Artificial women are HOT!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:42 AM »
Here here!  Well put Crazycajun!
>John Connor
-----------------------------------------
Allison is a Boy Toy body 1, Autumn, born in February 2011, our anniversary is March 7th 2011
Farah is a Sinthetics B1B, Celeste, born on April 1st 2013, our anniversary is June 21st 2013
Jennifer 8 is a YL Doll 148 cm, Jennifer/Viola, born on December 7th 2014, our anniversary is December 11th 2014
Kara is a JY Doll 166 cm (Flora with Kira head), born on 23 June 2017, our anniversary is 30 June 2017

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »
Not pushing DS dolls its just that I did a lot of research before buying one, apparently DS are going into the TPE market as well!
Great for us buyers that there is such a huge choice of dolls now ,TPE and silicone.
Having had two TPE dolls which could stand until the joints loosened I found then to be great fun.
In the end though the material did not do it for me so went back to silicone for a multitude of reasons,looks,durability,feel and maintenance  being the main ones.

TPE has come a very long way in a very short time and development continues, the demise of the swan neck being one .
And the heads/faces are now getting to be very good indeed.
So, as said there is a market for both materials ,perhaps cost being the main one although at the moment some silicone models are not that much more expensive than TPE.
In fact I could see the cheaper silicone dolls disappearing faced by the competition of the cost of TPE!

So my take on all this is ; "you pays your money and makes your choice"

There's room for both types but thanks to TPE it has bought a lot of new owners into the doll world who would not otherwise joined because of the expense of some silicone models.

Which has to be a good thing  :)

for album click the pic

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
     I have some thoughts on doll safety, but they are too far off-topic to list here. Please see Doll bath/shower safety in The Workshop.

O0 8) O0
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Feguro

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »

I mean, when thinking about the Chinese situation, the doll market will have a lot to offer in the future in order to fulfill existing/upcomming wishes

When looking at the newly again upcomming robotics(KI) topic, I am rather uncertain whether, and how far these topic dolls will affect. Hope a lot.

But I think we can count ourselves lucky. There will be some nice things to come in the future.
Dreaming of a hot looking robot, that will do all nice things and will be able to do all hard work when I get older  :D

Sinthetics - Body 1H Celeste, YL 150 160, 140, JY 166 156, 161

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
There's room for both types but thanks to TPE it has bought a lot of new owners into the doll world who would not otherwise joined because of the expense of some silicone models.

Which has to be a good thing  :)

Indeed! If it hadn't been for TPE, I'd still be drooling over photos from RD!

I do hope one day to still get a silicone doll... before I'm too old to lift it! TPE is nice but I think the cores and gels used in silicone dolls would be very interesting to experience!

DS going into TPE? That's going to be huge because you know they're all going to follow.  :thumb:

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »

DS going into TPE? That's going to be huge because you know they're all going to follow.  :thumb:

This is yet to be confirmed so take it with a pinch of salt, it's only inter doll gossip, you know what they're like !.....

for album click the pic

FrozenArctic

• New Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
The last I heard they were back to the drawing board on that plan.

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Yea, I heard those plans were put on an indefinite hold.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
thanks ..... :thumb:
for album click the pic