Author Topic: Has anyone here used an airbrush for makeup before?  (Read 115 times)

ttnlbtpd

• Sr. Resident
Has anyone here used an airbrush for makeup before?
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
Doesn't seem to be too popular with dolls. Anyway, I just recently came into possession of one of these systems. I have yet to try it. Not even sure if it works. I've been watching lots of videos  on the subject and looks very promising. Actually, amazing may be a better term. Going to pull it out very soon to see what gives.
Tough Times Never Last But Tough People Do!
Gallery: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12735

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
Re: Has anyone here used an airbrush for makeup before?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
Have never heard of it used FOR makeup but it has been used as a sealant for makeup or a clear matte coat to help reduce shine on silicone dolls.

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Walking on the Bluegrass
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:10:45 PM »
I have an airbrush, and I've used it for applying sealer, but using it for precise work like makeup is not as easy as the brochures claim.

Practice on something, anything else first, using exactly what you intend to spray on your doll.

How an airbrush sprays is entirely dependent on what you are running through it. Paints will spray completely differently to thinned, pigmented silicone.

Don't experiment on your doll. How do you get to Carnegie Hall?......practice......practice......

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

ttnlbtpd

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:50:10 AM »
Not silicone. Traditional makeup. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Before+and+After+Airbrush+Makeup&FORM=RESTAB

Think:
Foundations
Eyes
Lips
Contours
Bronzing
Temp Tattoos
Etc.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »
ttnlbtpd,

Traditional makeup may come off of the silicone, but there may be some other substance in the airbrush lines. Also, if you test the spray on a material other than silicone, it may behave differently. I suggest testing on the soles of your doll's feet first to see how the spray reacts.

Before trying it on your doll's face, cut out a paper mask slightly larger than the area that you want to treat. You will still get the feathering that you desire, rather than a hard line at the edge of the mask. Put a bib (or towel) over her chest to catch any overspray. Once you get in some practice, the mask may not be necessary.

If it is at all possible, take some 'before', 'during', and 'after' shots. They should allow you to make a tutorial for the rest of us. YouTube has some videos of actresses and actors in their makeup trailers. Check those out if you can.

;) ;) ;)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

ttnlbtpd

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
Traditional makeup may come off of the silicone

No so much worried about that. I put traditional makeup on my dolls now and don't have any issues. Its all dry makeup though.

Before trying it on your doll's face, cut out a paper mask slightly larger than the area that you want to treat.

Some of the videos I've watched use stencils for doing Cat-eyes, etc.

If it is at all possible, take some 'before', 'during', and 'after' shots.

Absolutely. I am hoping this is going to be a lot of fun. Not sure if I have any of the airbrush makeup. It's all still packed in a big box I need to dig through. I will be making my own makeups however. What vendors sell costs $$$. Glycerin, water, and three distinct mineral pigments (red/blue/yellow) is all you need to make it yourself.