Author Topic: Articulated finger project  (Read 259 times)

Dollyman25442

• New Resident
Articulated finger project
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:00:43 PM »
Hi everyone!
I'm new here but been on tdf for quite awhile.
I posted this project there but thought ya'll might want to see what I'm working on too!
Using Crazy Cajun's palm plate, instead of making the fingers out of wire (that seem to break over time no matter  what is done), I'll be making the fingers out of plastic R/C joints.
Initially I was going to use Bondic to weld the plastic in links but I've decided the best method is to use brass 4mm hollow tubing to make those connections. I've also decided to use 3mm brass universal joints at the knuckles attached with 3mm solid core copper to the CC palm plates.
Both the plastic R/C and brass universal joints require peening to make the joints tight enough to retain poses but I think this is going to work. We shall see, eh?
I'll update this post as my work progresses :-)
See a vid here-https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ycnVhuSxNCOGu2LzUNWBY2PuECGCa4DN/view?usp=sharing

And here's the R/C joints and brass universals

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: Articulated finger project
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
Sounds like an interesting project.

Back in the day Abyss had the Thomas articulating hands on a couple dolls. The finger bones were made of plastic, and bent at the joints. They were very expensive to make so only a few were made.

I think you will run into the same problem. Parts, labor, and time will be costly.

A multi bendable wire would be easier. McMaster-Carr sells Nitinol wire, but the gauge is too small.
This will give you an idea though; https://www.mcmaster.com/#bend-and-stay-wire/=1bg1b0z

Dollyman25442

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
Just got in the parts I needed for a second prototype and I'm happy to say, I'm certain we've come upon a design that will work. The parts aren't very expensive, but labor is a bit heavy. No doubt once a system is developed for preparing the raw materials before assembly, the labor will be less a problem. All things said and done, once the raw parts are modified for the actual assembly, that assembly process to make a full set of fingers would probably be about an hour or two. For a manufacturer probably too much labor and not enough profit, but as a mod using Crazy Cajuns palm plate, I think many will be interested.
I'll be making a prototype full set and Crazy Cajun is working on a modified palm plate, but I would think we'll have something we can show the public in demonstration sometime within 30 day.
Look for the announcement ya'll :-)

Dollyman25442

• New Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:27:31 PM »

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:45:07 AM »
that's pretty cool!
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Dollyman25442

• New Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:05:21 AM »
nice work. I thought those universals would be a lot bigger than they look.

They (the universals) were totally unusable. The way they are pinned together prevents the pins from being peened and as such are way to loose. That would just create a "floopy" finger that wouldn't be able to hold a pose.
I was able to modify the RC joints (thanks CC) to form a joint combination at the base that would give four way movement enabling the finger to have side to side movement. Pity the universal joint wasn't workable. I would have been elegant. But no worries. Problem was solved :-)

pygmalion2

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:34:30 PM »
You may be interested this articulated finger design of mine.
The joints are from scavenged eye glass frames.  They are spring hinged so they
have some pressure needed to bend them and then they snap back into the straight position.
The parts are already manufactured so they would be readily available.

This prototype was made in about 2001.  There are other pictures posted in the doll gallery.

My cost to produce this first prototype (tooling etc) was about 5K.
Mark and Katie

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »
@Dollyman25442;  Should be shipping out your palm plates in a day or so!

@pygmalion2;  I had read about someone making some articulated fingers from eye glass frames! The photo looks good. Did you actually install them in a doll? If so how did they hold up? Looks way COOL!  8) 
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

pygmalion2

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
Yes, I still have the hands with the articulated fingers - they outlasted my doll Katie :'(
Mark and Katie

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
pygmalion2, That's really cool!!!
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »
Really cool stuff... :bow:
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”