Author Topic: ODC amateur doll photographer's tips and tricks thread- Pros welcome too!  (Read 19451 times)

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: ODC amateur doll photographer's tips and tricks thread- Pros welcome too!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
I always use a tripod, and the camera's timer. That way the camera has a couple of seconds to "settle down" after pressing the shutter.

I have a full size and a mini tripod. The mini is great for those shots where the full size can't get far enough back and I need to set up on a shelf or furniture.

Mahtek & his Ladies

I use a full size tripod Like Mahtek and use a couple of clamp lights. One is fixed to make some shadow and the other I move back and forth  to fill in without shadows. It is a poor mans soft box. I also use full spectrum bulbs to get the best color.

I use to have a mini tripod until it tipped over an broke the lens.  It fell off the top of a ladder and put a not so nice dent in the hardwood floor too. Be careful with the weight of the camera and lens.

Here is a set; Notice I back lit a curtain, and have direct lighting over head. The light clamped to the joist was used to wave when I took the picture for the shoot.

Final pictures;

mytime

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »
Hi all,
A little ramble about my old analog K1000 SLR:
Funny thing is that my old Asahi Pentax K1000 SLR being made from 1976 till 1996 can be considered as a cult camera, even a lot photography students did start out with this old unforgiveable camera, you have to do the things right else you don´t get a good photo, in that way this old workhorses teach you photography the hard way. I think one gains knowledge of photography by using such old thing, knowledge that even can be applied when using the digital stuff.
The advantage of this type of camera´s is that they don´t come with the long menu´s and many buttons the DSLR´s come with, but only the major stuff, and a manual that is only about 20 pages LOL, so its not bad to try some things with although there is the disadvantage of the processing costs of film.
Digital is the investment on the camera but the rest of the course is without processing cost.
Imo that makes it fun to own one.
This things are manual focus and film camera so manual focussing and manual setting of apeture and shutter time is needed. It has only 2 little batteries that are used for the light meter. Without this batteries you can still use it.

I found a review here:
http://www.thedigitalcameraexperts.com/pentax-k1000-camera

I also found a way to photograph my K1000 SLR digitally so, I can call it K1000D  ;D.
Its simple a shop in the city I live offers still processing of the 35 mm film and also a cd with the photo´s on 1200 X 1800. Simular shops are probably still in USA too.
I´ll give it a little try and compare it with my D90 8).
If you like this kind of old mechanical stuff, you can probably get one for very little money, I think 20 US$ to 50 US$ or like that, pre owned e.g. ebay garage sales and so on.

Mytime
Doll community member since april 2003, doll owner since august 2004

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
I miss my old Olympus OM2
Smallest lightest 35mm at the time, first with TTL metering .

My daughter took it to college with her so its probably been sold!
for album click the pic

mytime

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »
Rentel,

The K1000 was my first SLR, now the D90 is my second SLR but of coarse that is a DSLR.
The Olympus OM-2 sounds to me to be more high end and sophiticated than the K1000.
Though almost all this kind of analog camera gear, maybe except some Leica's and medium and large format camera's like Hasselblads is very cheap preowned due that everyone changed to digital camera's.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
Doll community member since april 2003, doll owner since august 2004

jihandelle

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
I miss my old Olympus OM2
Smallest lightest 35mm at the time, first with TTL metering .

My daughter took it to collage with her so its probably been sold!

Rentel, you can buy one on Ebay for a raisonable amount, but still an expensive box  :o  35 euros the box and >100 euros box + 35 mm 2.8  !

nostalgic myself, i went to Germany to get an oldie bought on Ebay because the guy did not want to ship  ;)

-- ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX --

geldmany

Thx for nice tips. I got a nikon DSLR (mid-class D90 category)  for half bundle price cause of new model. Makes much fun

another tip how to prepare for web pages

I use fine solution and pics (12mpixel) have sizes between 4-7mb.
When you charpen them and publish in the web they loss sharpness and are lower quality (brilliance loss) then pics made with older compact cam.

I reduce image size to 25% by keeping all other values.
Photoshop: Image -> Imagesize -> pixels/percent  100->25

then you could sharpen pics

when saving pic you can reduce them to 600-800kb

then its ready

dollluver

• New Resident
  • Dolls dolls dolls
    • The Doll Room Yahoo group
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
Lot of good tips here. Never thaught of filling the frame. I usualy go for a good background but will try filling the frame. I normaly use natural lighting as my cheap camera doesn't have built in flash. Often times flash makes it too white/bright. What I do in that case would be cover up partial flash with your finger.
Proud owner of a doodman original Tess and a TB Tina who owns me

KingTut

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
Just a thought on tripods: I still use one, especially with the 1/6 dolls, but my new camera has some pretty amazing image stability hardware built into the lenses.  Parts of the lens physically move  to compensate for human jiggle.  As a result, I find myself using the tripod less and less.  As an example, yesterday's Rose and Jasmine shoot was captured without a tripod.  (Maybe it shows to an expert, but I can't tell!)

I'm not sure what other brands support it -- my camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T2i and both of my lens housings have image stabilization built into them. 

Here's a link to some Canon propaganda on in-lens image stabilization :): http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_IS

Kroff

• Sr. Resident
  • NO MA'AM
Use your laptop screen as light source for your beauty portraits

I wish to share this video with you ; You'll be surprised by the amazing photos you can get this way...

If you don't want to spend lots of money in professional flashlights this is definitely something for you. It works even with an old computer (you can find some on eBay that are really affordable). Of course in matter of screen size the larger is the better.

The light shapes can be downloaded here freely : http://ProPortfolioClub.com/shapes

Have fun !

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/i4J2u8pZqIQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=fr_FR" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/i4J2u8pZqIQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=fr_FR</a>

P.S. : Model Emily is HOT...  ;D (she's the wife of this german photographer)
Don't Tread On Me

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
     I saw some of Karl Taylor's tutuorials a couple of years ago. He has added some since then. Although he sells photography courses on DVD, he also has quite a few free lessons online. Registration is free, but is required to view the lessons. Most of the individual lessons are under ten minutes.

He also has a free photography tips on his http://www.takeabetterphoto.com/free-photography-tips/ page. Another tab takes you to http://www.takeabetterphoto.com/karl-taylor-competitions/ where you could submit photos that might win prizes. See also http://www.karltaylorcompetitions.com/

8) 8) 8)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
     This post is to reflect on KingTut's BEHIND THE SCENES -- BAILEY'S LBD (Sixty Days - Day 52). There are other valauble tips in KingTut's post, so be sure to look in on it!

KingTut wrote:
People are also surprised that I don't PhotoShop out my stands, and yet they are rarely seen.  The trick is to set up the model and the camera in such a way that the stand is hidden by the model.

I seldom edit the stand out of a shot if I cannot hide it by other means. Most of the time I am too lazy, but I also leave the stand in deliberately. Sometimes I want people to know that this is a doll, not a real person.

Mahtek was in the shot below, but since he does not like his picture on the internet (many people feel that way), I ghosted him out. The process involves picking up colors from elsewhere in the photo and painting them over the part that you want to take out. This can be accomplished with a number of photo editing programs, but it does take time and patience.

Another method of hiding the stand is to use some of the doll's clothing or a prop to block the view of the stand.

Greenscreen or bluescreen paint, backgrounds (Chroma Key FAQ), and software (http://www.123videomagic.com/) are available, but these are expensive options. This also requires separate photos of the model and the set, then combining the photos into a composite picture. Painting the doll stand with these colors might make it easier to select in your photo editor, but if you shoot your doll 'in scene' (in the same photo) you still have to fill in the background colors.

For my 'travel' pictures, I used the Photoshop Elements 7 layer technique (7 page tutorial). I began with a photograph for my background layer, then in Layer 1 edited everything out of the doll picture that I did not want, then in Layer 2 applied shadows for the doll (see the video or read the text and pictures.

Your dreams come true"

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
How To Set Up the Perfect Photo Studio for Any Budget or Room

This is an article on the Popular Photography magazine website.

The prices that they list for some of the gear are hefty, but do not let that disuade you from using the information. Do not look at their recommendations as "must have" for your own studio. Some lower-priced substitutions of the equipment that they mention can lower your costs dramatically.

This magazine sometimes uses photographers who can afford the best equipment. Also, manufacturers will send equipment to the magazine for free or a lower price. The magazine will 'road test' the equipment, and the vendor gets the free advertising.

;) ;) ;)
 Your dreams come true"

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
Popular Photography magazine's

The 25 Top Camera Gear Deals of 2012

"Our editors, being inveterate bargain boffins, once again bring you a select list of good stuff...for less." article by Dan Richards

:) :) :)
 Your dreams come true"

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Popular Photography magazine's

20 Simple Ways to Customize Your Camera

;) :) ;)
 Your dreams come true"

blasters714

• Resident
  • DOGS RULE!!
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
Great information--I haven't taken pictures in many years so the info on cameras was excellent.
Dolls are people too!