Author Topic: Hybrid DnF doll  (Read 155 times)

angel

• New Resident
Hybrid DnF doll
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:57 PM »
Here's a Dance n Flex doll I used to get for $15 from local toy stores (hard to find now).

Completely posable, but obviously not jointed at their $15 price point. Stiff wired skeleton, I assume, yet nothing has broken yet on these from a lot of back and forthing with their limbs. The skin is seamless, soft, yet durable like a Phicen. No detail nipple or private parts, but fun to shoot.

Whatever they make the skin out of, for these and the Phicens, is surprisingly flexible and durable from my experience.

angel

• New Resident
Re: Hybrid DnF doll
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 05:03:33 AM »
What a small doll offers...

For photography, these smaller dolls can simulate shooting medium format with a normal 35mm frame camera.

Due to the subject's smaller size, the 35mm D2X used here, would be the very rough equivalent to shooting a normal sized person with a medium format film camera, such as the Mamiya 645 (which I used to adore). The narrow DoF is just like shooting to a 4x5 neg.

So, without all the retro equipment and film costs, small dolls actually allow you to see what larger formats offer, such as narrow DoF without having to shoot super-short focal lengths and throwing your field of view too wide and distorted.

In my topic title I mentioned "Hybrid". By that I mean the head and body are not from the same brand. Dance n Flex is Mattel and I pair it with a more generic brand head, don't even remember the brand. Barbie's are too recognizable.

angel

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:17:09 AM »
Small doll advantage #3: Changing hair color / style is as quick as popping off one head and pushing on another.

Granted combing hair this small is nigh impossible, however I was finding off brand dolls all over the place, for like for $5 and less in thrift stores n such. Body could be plastic, broken, etc, didn't matter. I just made sure the head color matched my DnF body color, popped the head off and I had a new look ready to go. No wig fanangling.

angel

• New Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:04 AM »
For the male dolls, I use a plain ol' plastic doll. He's hard surface, external ball joints, poseable, and this model is much cheaper than a BJD. After all, Dan doesn't need to show his leg or butt off to me. And in sets where he's featured, the focus is always on the girl companion.

However, I do have a male phicen (no pics handy, I'll shoot him at some point), and lemme tell you, the male phicen is awesome. The detail is incredible... but he's a buck fiddy + custom head ran me like 30 quid. A lot more than ten dolla Dan.