Author Topic: Headshots  (Read 293 times)

angel

• New Resident
Headshots
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:30 AM »
Looking for some critique / comments on a few headshots I just took:

Thx!
Angel

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
Re: Headshots
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:34:49 AM »
Gorgeous, simply Gorgeous!  And your stands are absolutely Striking, very well done indeed!  :thumb:
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

angel

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:29 AM »
Thanks cc ! So good to hear.

What do you think about the black background and red highlight? I've been thinking I might try the white seamless roll and shoot with it... just an effort to get the roll down and moved.

angel

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:38:28 AM »
I would think that the white might distract focus from the heads, where the black really makes them pop out. And I like the sense of warmth that the red lighting brings to the photos!
I also love the way the stands add a subtle touch of professionalism to the photos!
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

Szalinski

• Sr. Resident
  • Reality is for those with no imagination.
    • Chris'Z Corner
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »
Nice! The biggest thing about a successful headshot or [facial] closeup is the eyes. Get that right and the rest will pretty much fall into place. I usually put my face where the doll is supposed to be looking, both in distance and location, then adjust their eyes until it looks like she's (or he's) staring right into MY eyes.
Heaven help me, I have been dating a real human female.
.........And enjoying it!

My cross country bike ride | Flickr albums for my dolls

Feguro

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »
Nice heads.
First one has different eye height. There are shadows (nose), perhaps you not want. The used lense (distance, ancle ?) seems different.
Sinthetics - Body 1H Celeste, YL 150 160, 140, JY 166 156, 161

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
angel,

People looking to buy these heads will want to see detail, but people wanting to use them may want to see something more dramatic. Strong shadows from a light on one side or from a top quarter are dramatic. Both types of pictures side-by-side will be preferable. The dark background and colored lights add to the impact and mystery of the pictures, so stay with that. By the way, I could swear that these are real women! Nicely done pictures!

;) :) ;)
"Like a bolt out of the blue
 Fate steps in and sees you through
 When you wish upon a star
 Your dreams come true"

Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket (1940)

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

angel

• New Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
Thank you for all the feedback so far - all excellent points.

Szalinski:
* Appreciate the input! I'll try something more direct with the eyes.
* Heidi's eyes in the first shot I didn't take time to adjust the eyes (one open more than other. plus may not be looking direct into lens) and you can really see how distracting that is after the shot is taken.
* I'll provide a diagram below that may help explain the dilemma of the shot: that being the camera is actually about 18" higher than eye level - details below.

Feguro:
* Thanks! Yes, the diiferent eye height is way off and distracting / abnormal looking.
* Eye placement is for sure something to pay particular attention to. For me, often times I get so deep in the technicals of the shot, the importance of that gets overlooked, which shouldn't.
* Shadow cast across the nose - good catch. My mistake of using a hard light on the left with barn doors instead of a soft box like I did on the right mono head. See diagram below.
*** Intersting point, and I rarely shoot like this, but all 3 lights were set and metered f16 ISO 100 at the subject.
* As for Lens, distance, aperature settings between the shots - they are identical. The camera is locked off on a tripod, settings the same across the shots, lights unchanged and the stands are identical (except in base finish color). What we're seeing here is two things:
*** 1 - Each head lines up differently depending on the depth of the head thread drill and angle of the head thread into the head done at the manufacturers. Linda's head, the second shot, is actually drilled at an angle that lifts her chin more.
*** 2 - The position of the camera from the subject is the same in every shot, but only 3 ft away.
***** As we see, the differences in facial structure, head sizes and thread angle is exaggerated from shooting this close to the subject. It's like shooting full body at 24mm.
***** There was no horizontal cropping, the heads actually filled the portrait width, so I could have maximum sensor detail, so I got close.. too close as we see.
***** Correction would be to pull back and shoot at a longer focal length. You're seeing Nikkor glass at 70mm focal length which would be fine for a 3/4 to full length body shot.
******* I'll extend it out to 100, maybe 120 mm. Problem there being, since I'm shooting down, I'll have to use a ladder to snap the shot at the same angle at 120mm to be able to catch the name plate... logistics lol.
******* I may switch over to a Tamron lens, which although cheaper, balances out some hue problems I get from Nikkor lenses matched up with these particular flash strobes (or stay with Nikkor and switch to my Photogenic mono heads).

noquiexis:
* Thank you for the compliments!
* I do enjoy working with black in my studio. It offers so much more in options to me than white.
* I may try some shots with more advanced setups and see what you all think, knowing black is ok and go from there.

Here's my uber basic setup for the 3 pics above. I'll extend the setup from here and shoot some more heads and explain what I do. Maybe even go full doll as I add lights :)

angel

angel

• New Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 01:06:54 AM »
OK, since we're in the Art Gallery section, less tech, more pics!

Here's Vanessa

Focusing on one change at a time, so you won't notice I addressed eye gaze direction yet. What I did do was try to eliminate nose shadow by:
* Swapped out the left barn door bare strobe with a Photogenics mono head with diffuser - that seemed to get right of the large nose shadow cast. The remaining lower shadow is now Ambient Occlusion (else nothing would look 3D)

CrazyCajun: Here's another stand. Didn't install the name plate yet. Base color is "blonde".

Oh, and this is a JY head..

Looking one micro-step better? Shall we proceed?

angel

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:04:39 AM »
Some really nice shots, its interesting to see how others do portraits.

Looking for some critique / comments on a few headshots I just took:

so here goes ....

I like to try to get a neutral background so black is ideal, lack of clutter is another, looks fine to me.
As for lighting its what makes you happy , but for me the faces look "flat".
A photographer who I admire said he only ever used one light, he, like me, likes shadows , it's what the eye's see in real life.
So the lighting is not my cup of tea but again its what you like in a photo, it looks a very professional studio setup
Head position is another as well as the most important ,eye positioning, eyes out then forget it ...lol
No one like a cross eyed babe .
Animation is another,but then their on stands so that is limited.

Must admit I'm lazy and a one direction light source person myself, maybe a reflector on the darkside if I can remember to do it.

One natural light source and a white card reflector ....I like shadows .. :)

for album click the pic

Feguro

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:10:49 AM »
Wow. Looks like you want go the path to product photographer for heads? That would be nice and would be nice to see the way you do.

I’m always newbie in photographics and lights, I’ve not the fundamental basics in that. Sure, I bought a lot of lenses and studio equipment, but I let it as it is having fun while shooting and feel as a child when find out this or that knowing on camera or knowing on photoshop.

I have zoom lenses and prime lenses. My favorite is a prime lens 105/2.8 micro from Nikon. It’s half price compared with my portrait lens, but I like it’s output. I think it gives more depth, but I do not really know the special characteristics of this lens. Negative point is, that I’m not able to do complete room scenes with it like the < 50mm lenses can do. I like shadows and shooting with 105mm natural lights as this picture below.

The actual face looks very nice. As I know reflectors can reduce shadows too, if not want shadows - but I don't know how to handle.

As I write my comment I see Ray has maked a comment. I like his pictures most.

Sinthetics - Body 1H Celeste, YL 150 160, 140, JY 166 156, 161

ORdoll

• New Resident
    • OR Doll -- Oriental Rose
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »
It very debate as to eliminate of shadow in head shots.

A bit shadow from nose is help for give idea of 3D modelling of sculpt. Flat light is bit flat represent of face. A bit shadow does like Picasso for project some idea 3rd dimension into 2 dimension photograph. Without shadow, only 2 dimension.

We like your photo and hope that our observe help.

It is also debate whether show head on stand decapitate from body. Perhaps some people think creepy - or like wrongdoers' head put on spike on fence outside ancient town. So perhaps head on neck nice for that reason.

Apology for respond out of thread but hope thought from us useful see
Looks like you want go the path to product photographer for heads? That would be nice and would be nice to see the way you do.

Yes -

Nice photo. Shadow more subtle. This good romantic but straight forward shot help for manufacturer. It difficult for understand a head, a character, from just one shot.

Best regards

Joyce.

email Joyce - ordoll88@gmail.com - special $50 discount ordering through email or ODC PM
SPECIAL 166 fine figure doll and some heads through Forum only
Please remind me of your Forum username when you order or email. If you order through a vendor, email me so that I can ensure the doll you receive originates from me.