Author Topic: Great Films You've Never Seen  (Read 11421 times)

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
Re: Great Films You've Never Seen
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:37 PM »
'The 39 Steps' 1935

If you've never seen it before, this one of Alfred Hitchcock's best films.

The volume being so low isn't the uploader's fault. I own the DVD and it's very low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRGNct3DnS4

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2017, 01:33:07 AM »
'Willow' 1988

If you've never seen this classic sword and sorcerer movie, it' a must see.

A village of little people (yes an entire village of real little people played by real little people actors and not the shoddy CGI we're used to seeing in movies today!) find a newborn baby girl by the river whom turns out to be a messiah said to defeat the evil empire. She's like baby Jesus and baby Moses rolled into one.

A farmer Willow (Warwick Davis) who wants to be a sorcerer is sent to return the baby to the full size humans and ends up on having a great adventure.

It's a mix of 'Lord of the Rings', 'Wizard of Oz', 'Star Wars' and 'The Bible.' Sure it's cheesy but it's also a lot of fun.

And this isn't the film Ron Howard won his Oscar for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDf8EtNfI0

Szalinski

• Sr. Resident
  • Reality is for those with no imagination.
    • Chris'Z Corner
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2017, 12:35:23 AM »

'The Twilight Zone' AKA 'The New Twilight Zone' 1985

In case you forgot there was a very successful reboot of 'The Twilight Zone' TV series from 1985-1988.

Unlike the shoddy 'The New New Twilight Zone' series in 2002 or the spineless 'The Outer Limits' reboot in the 90s, this show was actually a very deserving tribute to Rod Serling's masterpiece.

It has a very creepy and surreal 1980s feeling to it. Similar to but different from the B&W series.

The reboot was obviously due to the success of Steven Spielberg's 'Amazing Stories' series. While that show was also great it in its own way 'The New Twilight Zone' is pure horror and almost as scary as the original. 

Here's a link to the pilot episode and you can follow the other episodes from there. You might recognize the actor in the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gk-pCjsWuE

Is that the one with the "politically corrected" version of Arthur C. Clarke's "The Star" and Tom Godwin's "The Cold Equations"? I loved those, that series was the best recreation of TZ ever made.

In fact I consider The Cold Equations to be the best Twilight Zone episode ever (even better than the original To Serve Man, blasphemous though that may sound)! I couldn't get that girl's face out of my mind for a week!  :'(
Based on what women say they want, I'm the Perfect Man!
...No wonder I've been so lonely!!

My cross country bike ride | Flickr albums for my dolls

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »
I don't recall those specific episodes but I'll certainly have to check them out. I'm slowly rewatching every episode.

Richard Mulligan starred in at least two episodes, 'The Toys of Caliban'. This is an interesting twist on 'The Monster' episode from the original series. This will run your blood cold!

The other episode is 'Night of the Meek' one of the few happy episodes of the show. It also has a knock out performance from William Atherton who was always type cast after his roles in 'Ghostbusters' and 'Die Hard.'

'Wong's Lost & Found Emporium' is considered one of the best episodes of the entire series and rewatching I remembered why.

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:00 AM »
'Zulu' 1964

This is the true story of Rorke's Drift which is considered one of the greatest examples of heroism by the British military.

The production quality is extremely high for a film of this age and the battle scenes are some of the most intense you'll ever see! The fact that 90 minutes is devoted to a single non stop action scene really invokes the feeling of what it must have been like for the soldiers to never have a moment's rest and fight wave after wave of Zulus.

I saw a making of documentary and it showed how the film was shot in Africa with REAL Zulus! It's also amazing to find out that while the film makers were hoping for 1000+ Zulu extras for the epic battle scenes they only had about 500. They came up with some very clever ways to make the 500 look like thousands. No, they didn't resort to super imposing multiple shots together.

This is also the film debut of Michael Caine who was only a TV actor before 'Zulu.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C02lilpWko