Author Topic: My visit to PIB  (Read 4719 times)

umoplata

• New Resident
My visit to PIB
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »
I had the pleasure of visiting PIB today and I wanted to share with everyone. 

So far as I know they are the only high level doll maker on the USA east coast.  Located in Manassas, VA, not from the Nations Capital, PIB is a small operation lead by experienced craftsman, Patrick.  I was greeted warmly by he and one of his artists, Sara.  I got a tour of the small studio and a look at two of the dolls they were preparing, a Bathing Beauty (5'2") and a Girl Next Door (4'9"). 

So far my doll experience has been with BoyToy, Sinthetics, and Virgin Rose. VRD is not a good comparison due to it being of a different scale.  I will be making comparisons with BT, RealDoll (RD) and Sinths. 

The Bathing Beauty  was nearly complete.  It is truly a work of art and in my opinion quite nearly on par with RealDolls and Sinthetics, and in some ways potentially superior depending on individual preferences. 

For looks, they aren't quite as realistic looking as the best RDs and Sinths.  I would never in a picture or within 50 feet confuse it for a real person at a glance, no more than one would with a BoyToy (Calender or Seasons model, for example.)  It is more realistic than a BT (not including the BT3), but not quite as much as an RD or Sinth.

For the feel, it was very soft.  Softer than all of the dolls I have encountered.  The breasts felt great.  By comparison RD/BT felt like hard rubber and Sinth felt like thin plastic over an almost hollow hole.  Both ok, but PIB clearly wins this area.  I know the others now offer gel implants but I have not experienced those yet.  It was so soft in fact that it lead me to ask about durability and tearing.  Patrick kindly explained to me the beauty behind the engineering:  simplicity.  There are few mechanical parts in the 'skeleton' to break or to tear through the 'skin'.  He let me feel free to bend the joints.  I did a little with the arms.  Sure enough it felt very solid and sturdy while being flexible and easy to move.  It easily held poses while not being stiff.  I didn't feel any more or less concerned about wires poking through the fingers.  The butt was also soft and squeezable.  By comparison Sinth is nice but not as squeezable and RD/BT felt hard (again with no gel implants). 

One thing I liked the most was the lack of a neck joint.  The unique design holds the head on with suction from the rubbery neck.  There's nothing mechanical to break in the neck or skull and the connection is very solid for play and posing while easy to remove to exchange heads if you want to.  The neck itself has no mechanical parts that I could discern yet the wired system inside allows for the neck to be VERY flexible yet durable for play, and can look in any reasonable direction for posing. Unlike some other dolls it holds the poses and doesn't 'fight' you to revert to a position once you have it where you want it.  Probably the only down side I could see to the neck system is that it doesn't allow for a deep mouth/throat.  The mouth entry is not very deep, maybe 2-3 inches.
Correction, the oral insert is 7".   

The one model that was not there when I visited was the newest model, the Island Girl model, their tallest at 5'7". I am told that the feet are more detailed and the core is different, thus reducing the weight to just a little more than the Bathing Beauty.  The feet and hands on the other two dolls were not as detailed as the Sinth, which in my opinion takes the cake for detail of all of the models. 

Last, the neck bolt system and storage.  The dolls do come with a neck bolt but it is NOT recommended to use it for storage for long periods of time.  Long period being more than a few weeks and DEFINITELY not up to a year.  The reason given is that the rubber will begin to lose shape slightly over time, sagging.  (My words and terms, not PIBs.) It is recommended to use bed memory foam and lay the doll down for long term storage.  The neck bolt however is intended more for posing, short term display, and doll prep. 

In conclusion whole I did not do any testing or direct side by side comparisons I would say that PIB seem to be the best option for regular play of the three scale sized dolls, while Sinth is the most detailed and best looking out of the box with no added preparation.  Sinth skin tends to feel best, but PIB softness beats both Sinth and RD/BT's. As for durability the RD/BT skin and skeleton are definitely durable.  Without testing it out I can't definitely say that PIBs are great, but they sure do feel like they would give any competitor a run for the money.  If you are rough with digging your nails into the breasts you will leave a mark.  If you play gentle then you will be pleased. 

I hope this is helpful for any perspective buyer. 

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
Re: My visit to PIB
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
 Thanks for the post but,

:needspics:
Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

umoplata

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »
Thanks for the post but,

:needspics:

Only for folks that can't read or look at the PIB site. 

It wasn't a side by side comparison, just a visit to the shop.  I thought it would be helpful info.  Maybe some other time now that I have built a rapport with them.   

JohnConnor

• Sr. Resident
  • Artificial women are HOT!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
Good review!  Your experience sounds similar to mine a little over a year ago.  Patrick is a great guy and a true doll enthusiast.
>John Connor
-----------------------------------------
Allison is a Boy Toy body 1, Autumn, born in February 2011, our anniversary is March 7th 2011
Farah is a Sinthetics B1B, Celeste, born on April 1st 2013, our anniversary is June 21st 2013
Jennifer 8 is a YL Doll 148 cm, Jennifer/Viola, born on December 7th 2014, our anniversary is December 11th 2014
Kara is a JY Doll 166 cm (Flora with Kira head), born on 23 June 2017, our anniversary is 30 June 2017

umoplata

• New Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
Thanks.

I just got a note from Patrick.  The oral entry is 7".  Pardon my error.  2-3" is INCORRECT. 

I am looking forward to visiting again at least once and making a purchase in 2015. 

Ash

• New Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
The Bathing Beauty  was nearly complete.  It is truly a work of art and in my opinion quite nearly on par with RealDolls and Sinthetics, and in some ways potentially superior depending on individual preferences. 
Good to hear :) My Bathing Beauty shipped today, I wonder if that was her or if she was already packed up? Either way, a good sign methinks :D

umoplata

• New Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Probably.  And if so.....you will be VERY PLEASED.   

:drool:

umoplata

• New Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
Not sure if I made it clear...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PIBs.  I want to have one of each model. 

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:51:24 AM »
Thanks for the great review....Glad you had a fun visit with PIB!
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

B-Zilla

• Sr. Resident
  • "The Pun-isher"
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
Great review, UMO.

I love reading about comparisons between the brands like this. The little "this one does this better, but that one's better at that..." bits can be indispensable to potential buyers with little or no first-hand experience with dolls.

Thanks again.  :thumb:

kintamasan

• Sr. Resident
  • "Welcome to the Layer Cake"
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
Thanks for the review!! I had the pleasure to visit Patrick's studio twice and got to audition both the Bathing Beauty and GND which lead me to adopt a GND of my own. I should arrange another visit since Patrick's silicone formula is softer now and his girls have a new frame. I love the flexibility of my GND's body, I wonder if this new posing frame will detract from their natural fluid motion during play. If the tension can be adjusted loose or firm before molding, this wouldn't be an issue for owners like me who want a supple doll for play.

Patrick is a wizard at making a soft breast without the need for gel and his sculpted bodies have a sexy ideal sensuality. I'm sure that this new formula also makes the tush feel like heaven. He is the Bob Guccione of the doll world.
Lovable Dolls, Sinthetics and PIB Polymerisian: Sometimes my dreams come true.

umoplata

• New Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
A follow up to my original post, I finally made it back to PIB last month and got the wheels turning on a custom BB with Eden head.  She is based on spedfish's Tamara, with some differences and extras that I will speak more to in the coming weeks as she nears completion.  I don't want to speak to something not in form just yet.  Patrick and Sara worked with me in painstaking details on multiple visits, not including my original post, to hatch out the exact details of what I wanted, including some custom work.

Patrick and Sara were great as usual and there are some new items Patrick is working on that lots of you will absolutely LOVE.   Stay tuned and visit the PIB site regularly for updates. 

umoplata

• New Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
Excellent review :thumb: Like JC said a bunch of us did a tour/doll meet there about a year a half ago. Patrick is a great guy, and makes one great doll.

You can see more factory picture here;  http://incredidoll.com/gallery3/index.php/DC-Dolls

This is the doll I will be ordering from PIB next, hopefully later this year! 

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:26:23 PM »
Congratulations !

Patrick is an awesome guy.

Thats a beautiful Doll.
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”