Author Topic: Repairing Broken Fingers on TPE Doll  (Read 515 times)

mister-j

• New Resident
Repairing Broken Fingers on TPE Doll
« on: October 11, 2018, 12:23:48 AM »
Does anyone have any clear step by step instructions and/or video to do the repair?

mister-j

• New Resident
Re: Repairing Broken Fingers on TPE Doll
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »
I decided to go ahead with finger repair and was successful.  Learned a few do's and don't but all worked out in the end.  There are some videos on youtube that helped.

The biggest mistake is using PL3 contractors glue.  Maybe I used the wrong kind but it didn't work at all and had to redo everything with an epoxy.

grimreefer24601

• New Resident
    • Grim's Doll Accessories
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 11:32:37 PM »
Some of us have been working with a new hand plate.  It's very limited considering the man who made the best of them has passed away.  I know some people who are making this plate again.

Big thing is replaceable fingers.  Damaged fingers could be replaced through a pin hole.

I've been poking Jinsan about a custom skeleton with this hand plate.  They say their MOQ is 1000 for this.  I can't get 1000 orders.  I wish.

Grim

Halleheals

• Sr. Resident
  • In Full blown doll dementia
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:38:33 AM »
I decided to go ahead with finger repair and was successful.  Learned a few do's and don't but all worked out in the end.  There are some videos on youtube that helped.

The biggest mistake is using PL3 contractors glue.  Maybe I used the wrong kind but it didn't work at all and had to redo everything with an epoxy.

You were able to find an epoxy that mended TPE? Would you mind sharing what product worked for you?
Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations

Doll-Addict998

• New Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I have the same issue with my doll and was wondering if anybody can share any videos or tutorial on how to repair it?

Thanks in advance.
“I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”
? Woody Allen

grimreefer24601

• New Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:06:41 AM »
I have a friend that we're testing 3D printed replacement plates.  I can also ahre information on other replacement plates.  Fact is wires break at the most common flex point.

JunkGuy

• New Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 10:45:39 PM »
Fact is wires break at the most common flex point.

In my experience and discussion with others, broken fingers seem to be less about metal fatigue than poor ownership mechanics.  Although this doesn't help if they're already broken, the proper way to rebend fingers back to straight without causing breaks is to pinch the finger between thumb and forefinger of one of your hands for bracing support, and with your other thumb and forefinger, bend the finger back to straight, starting at the nail and working toward the palm, and one finger at a time. I think people too carelessly try to bend them back without bracing them first, or hold the doll's finger at the nail and bend it so the hinge point ends up being somewhere other than they intended, likely at the finger wire / palm plate connection and that causes it to snap right off. Brace the fingers and make smaller, more targeted bends and they should last much longer. Metal fatigue would eventually set in, but it should go many hundreds, if not thousands of bends before that happens with proper technique.

(Same rules should probably be employed in reverse to bend straight fingers into bent formation, but this never seems to be as difficult and straightening them out.)

grimreefer24601

• New Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 02:31:49 AM »
Actually new MJ's fingers have broken because I'm a clutz sometimes.

Still, It shouldn't take a paragraph of instruction to describe how to move a doll finger.

And it is for most users metal fatigue or hardening.  I know where everyone I've spoke to says the wire breaks.

It' not really even the intentional movement.  All those nudges and bumps add up.

I'm going to disagree with you here JunkGuy.  It's a flaw in the hand/wire design.  It can be made better.

JunkGuy

• New Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
I'm going to disagree with you here JunkGuy.  It's a flaw in the hand/wire design.  It can be made better.

While I agree they can be better, there must be something other than just metal fatigue happening. How else do people say they break the fingers in a month or two of ownership, yet I've never broken one in two and half?  I've had them come loose at the palm plate, but not snap in the middle as others have described. And I'm not talking about dropping dolls or other mishaps - I'm talking routine use.  And I move my doll's fingers quite a bit for photos so I'd say I'm making bends on at least an average rate (and more than likely an above average rate.)  Why others and not me? I presume it has to do with being very careful bending fingers back to straight. I have trouble accepting metal fatigue as the only culprit if I'm greatly exceeding the average half-life of unbroken doll fingers.

It's possible that poor technique accelerates metal fatigue though and that we're both half right. Not sure how to prove it unless someone's got a brand new doll hand they can sacrifice and can run an experiment to see whether random bending of the finger back and forth causes it to break any earlier than careful bending does.

I do hope we get some hinged Terminator-style hands by the time I have to replace my doll's current body.

mister-j

• New Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:19 PM »
Hi.  Things have been busy.  Here is an update on my finger repair.
Two fingers are broken again at the plate.  The key issue is using the right wire.  I thought I had the right wire but it too broke after a while.

Here is the video that inspired me to attempt the repair.  I am still searching for the right type of wire before I fix the fingers again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_W5BW-Ox18&feature=youtu.be

Good luck!