Author Topic: Something Different  (Read 96 times)

Dreamin

• New Resident
Something Different
« on: September 06, 2018, 09:48:41 PM »
One of the main reasons I purchased a doll is for photography, to get camera in hand more frequently and gain experience.  My experiences with Alexa, my TPE doll isn't what I was looking for.  I spend more time with doll maintenance and trying to get her to stand without falling over than time spent with camera in hand.

So I'm trying something different for photography.  Meet Manne, my new mannequin

Manne is a plastic display mannequin and not anatomically correct so no sex or cuddling.  But it also means no Stains! 

She can't be posed, legs and arms don't move but arms and head rotate. She is light and comes with a stand so easy to do full body shots and rotate. 

And best of all she was only $70 including shipping.  My biggest concern though is how Alexa will take it.  I put Alexa's favorite wig on Manne and I don't think Alexa liked it, she didn't speak to me all day.

But she was watching the photo shoot so hopefully the two of them will get along.

Does anyone else have a mannequin in their collection?  My was at the low end in price and it shows but I didn't want to spend a lot something that doesn't look that good.

akira-fan

• Resident
Re: Something Different
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 06:54:58 PM »
One of the main reasons I purchased a doll is for photography, to get camera in hand more frequently and gain experience.  My experiences with Alexa, my TPE doll isn't what I was looking for.  I spend more time with doll maintenance and trying to get her to stand without falling over than time spent with camera in hand.

Literally replace “TPE” with “Silicone” and you pretty much have my experience with “Andy.” I figured it would make me more confident with photography… but it takes me over an hour to dress/undress him (without having him fall over) and by then I’m too tired to take photos.

Does anyone else have a mannequin in their collection?  My was at the low end in price and it shows but I didn't want to spend a lot something that doesn't look that good.

No, but I very seriously considered it – for many of the reasons you site earlier in your post: cost (most expensive “male mannequin” costs a fifth as much as the cheapest “male doll” Annie sells), weight and stand – which I specifically asked John at DS for and he said I had to order the metal hanging rack separately (which is, you know, “exactly [the] same thing” …except for the fact that it’s not >:( ).

Plus, not mentioned: quicker shipping, easier customs (“Andy” spent about 3 days stuck in Cleveland), better customer service (sales staff at DS were not only incredibly rude, but they did not honor a single request I made of them >:( ), and another complaint I often see on here that mannequins avert – the model pictured actually looks (more or less) like what you receive.

However, the reasons I went with DS was also mentioned in your piece: he looked realistic, his arms and legs were posable, he had a penis attachment (not really that important for photos, but the dildo, as small as it is, adds a level of realism a small “frontal mound” doesn’t). Plus, reviewers on Amazon often complain about how “flimsy” plastic mannequins are (“I tried putting clothes on him and his arm/leg kept falling off, and even with heavy duty tape, refused to stay on”).

Sometimes, I wonder if the realism was worth the extra weight, cost and shipping hassles. But, at least, he looks good. ;D ;D ;D

Dreamin

• New Resident
Re: Something Different
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
The mannequin is in no way a replacement for Alexa.  The mannequin is very easy to work with so I spend more time with camera in hand.  Photography Alexa is an "event" but the results are far more rewarding than the photos of the mannequin.  I can change outfits on the mannequin in minutes and back to shooting all with no fear of staining.

The mannequin is relatively cheap plastic but all the pieces fit well with mine although I can tell it won't be very durable.  There are higher quality fiberglass mannequins that got for around $200 but I don't know if they would be worth it since they can't be posed.  Shooting with the mannequin allows me to focus on the camera mechanics then when I do an actual shoot I can focus on angles and lighting.  The mannequin is lightweight and the arms pop off for easy changing

Plus I have my helper assisting me

But as convenient it is to shoot the mannequin it would never give me a shot like this

For me they complement each other and both have their own purpose.