Author Topic: The Disappearance of MA 828  (Read 118 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
The Disappearance of MA 828
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
     For those like me who do not watch a lot of television, this may be important.

When I dropped my TV cable service in favor of using an indoor antenna, it provided some unique challenges. Generally speaking, I only watch one TV station, WTOL TV 11 (CBS). I watch the local and national news, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy! on weekdays. I almost never have the TV on during weekends. Reception of WTOL with my indoor antenna was always spotty, so I purchased two more indoor antennas in an effort to boost the signal.

For a while I tuned in WTVG TV13 (ABC) to watch Once Upon A Time. (That series ended.) Josh Dallas played multiple parts on that show, including Prince Charming. Josh also stars in Manifest which airs on WNWO TV 24 (NBC). These two stations always came in clearly even when I had the one indoor antenna.

The premise of Manifest is that:
"Montego Air Flight 828 from Jamaica to New York City experiences a brief period of severe turbulence. When they land, the passengers and crew learn from the National Security Agency that over five and a half years have passed while they were in the air, during which time they were presumed dead." - Wikipedia. (To the passengers aboard the flight, only the normal amount of time passed. They had not aged more than that time.)

The first episode of Manifest aired on September 24, 2018. Episode 9 aired on November 26, 2018, after which the show took a brief hiatus. The tenth episode aired on January 7, 2019. On that day I discovered that I could not longer receive WNWO TV 24. I could still watch the show on NBC's streaming service.

Further investigation revealed that the FCC will be changing (repacking) the over-the-air broadcast frequencies of about a thousand TV stations.
From: https://morningconsult.com/opinions/your-local-tv-station-might-be-moving-to-a-new-frequency-heres-why/

"Nearly 1,000 TV stations across the country — with a nationwide audience of 77 million Americans — will be transitioning to new frequencies from 2018 to 2020, and viewers will have to reprogram their TVs to keep up.

These changes are being made as a result of a broader effort to expand resources available for wireless networks."

"But where does all this leave TV viewers?
First, it’s important to note that repacking will only affect over-the-air, antenna-based TV stations; cable and satellite TV networks will automatically provide the correct feed for channels getting repacked.

Second, no new devices, equipment or services will be needed. Viewers will only have to rescan their TV (or converter box) when their TV stations change frequencies. Since broadcasters will be moving at different times over the next two years, viewers may need to rescan their TV more than once. While it might sound like an inconvenience, it’s really a very simple process that will just take viewers a couple of minutes."

I did re-scan for TV channels while writing this. I did get WNWO back. I do not remember how many stations I could get before because each re-scan starts from scratch. As long as I can get the three major networks, I am happy.

8) 8) 8)
"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
See my gallery for their pictures.

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4