Author Topic: Inflatable and plush doll Hybrid (Male Version)  (Read 105 times)

poseoasis

• New Resident
Inflatable and plush doll Hybrid (Male Version)
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:24 PM »
Hi guys, Last time during the discussion of my printed cloth doll with Akira Fan, I stumble upon a new idea of making a hybrid doll with the head, hands and feet of an inflatable and the body of a cloth doll.  I was thinking about this idea while I design another printed one to cuddle, I was so consume by that new idea I totally lost interest in that project( typically me :D).

I ordered a cheapest inflatable male doll online and some wigs as well. he looks like this when he arrives:

while his face up look like this (picture from the weg page):

The doll was perfectly good and I did the unthinkable!  I dismembered him ;D..... I cut off his head, hands and feet together with every part of his body as careful as possible to preserve the shape of his pattern.

I always believe that the face of the doll is everything and the most important factor in determining whether he /she has any display quality. Naturally, I start with the head modification first.  I remove the factory face up with acetone (since his head is made with the same material as Barbie, so acetone is OK) and perform my very first face up on him.

I replace his acrylic iris with glass ones, repaint his waterline and sclera with acrylic paint. The rest of his face up was done with eyebrow pencil and some warm color eye shadow I got from the dollar shop. The last but not not the least a new set of eyelashes also from dollar shop as well. I think my first attempt is marginally pass and here are the result:

Next step..... his body!  Wish me luck and I will update my progress ASAP.  Bye for now!

Puppetrubs

• Lurker
Re: Inflatable and plush doll Hybrid (Male Version)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »
I know I'm both new and a bit late to this game but I gotta give you props. This printed cloth doll is inspired.

Ever think about quilting out the muscles? Would add 3d definition for cuddly fingers to brush past in the dark. I had a blanket as a kid G-ma made outlining all the printed goodies by quilting making the detail pop out. Seriously wondering why no ones doing this to "hug pillow" characters (maybe it's a 2d vs 3d fanbase thing). Then I saw your other thread with the finished doll and figured you might like the suggestion.

$.02 take it or leave it. Either way nice job and its going in my notes. Thanks for a unique idea well implemented.

violette_22

• New Resident
Re: Inflatable and plush doll Hybrid (Male Version)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:54 PM »
I like him! You did great on the faceup! If you want some tips and tricks for making the faceup permanent, let me know. It's a lot to type out, but I'd be happy to help. His wig looks good, such a handsome guy!

If you wanted to make him articulated, try pool noodles and doll armature like this. https://crscrafts.com/doll-supplies/fasteners-ds/armature-ds/plastic-ds/armature-plastic-per-foot-1-2-white.html There's parts to place for 3 and 4 way splits to make the spine separate from the limbs. You need a special tool for it, but, it's worth it.
That armature will fit inside pool noodles. Cut the noodles so they are separated at the elbows, knees, hips or anywhere else you wish for a joint. I've had a great time doing this. I'm glad someone has done this with the more solid vinyl head love dolls. It's been on my to-do list for a long time. I'll either stuff the vinyl body and add a zipper or remake the body in cloth based on the vinyl one. I'd probably get the fabric used for body slips in reborn dolls because that's a nice texture fabric and comes in flesh tones. I want to remake a female and a male doll.