Author Topic: ODC practice with pop up webpages from doll companies?  (Read 224 times)

TinyNCute!

• New Resident
ODC practice with pop up webpages from doll companies?
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:00:34 AM »
I am new so not certain where this belongs...

Recently I registered with several doll forums. I have had more than one open on my device, so I don't know which is the source of the surprise.

I am getting entirely new webpages (WM Doll was one) appearing on my device without clicking on a banner ad. It could be that I accidentally clicked, but I doubt it. I find this intrusive and if there is an option to disable this feature I will do so.  I am all for static ads and my being able to choose to read further about a company's merchandise, but when I choose to pursue. It's not just some doll-related company or forum that is doing this, it is becoming standard internet marketing. 

Does ODC have a practice of making commercial doll company webpages appearing in a different tab when one is participating on the forum?
It's time for Marc Emery and Larry Flynt style activism in dolls.

Ceej

• Founding Father
  • Sr. Resident
Re: ODC practice with pop up webpages from doll companies?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:49 AM »
Does ODC have a practice of making commercial doll company webpages appearing in a different tab when one is participating on the forum?

The short answer is no.

This is a hobby site for and by doll hobbiests, which is sponsored by us. To avoid any bias or favouratism we do not have paid ads here of any kind. We allow doll makers to post their marketing threads for free here, on their own sub forum section, but that is it as far as advertising goes.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

TinyNCute!

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
Thanks. Must have been another site. I recall reading that this was one reason (unbiased reviews) that you operate this forum. Best wishes.

Update: I followed backwards the source of the webpages appearing. It was 'Doll Forum'. Either I made a mistake or that forum has a relevant spam policy. Glad Our Doll Community does not.
It's time for Marc Emery and Larry Flynt style activism in dolls.

Begog

• Sr. Resident
  • Dollmongerer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
I'm on that forum as well (TDF). Never had a problem, but yeah, they are all about advertising, and it is REAL EASY to accidentally touch or click one, especially that scrolling text under "your own posts" and "index." I've done it many times myself. However, if you've got doll adds popping up on their own, you need to run your antivirus program. Sounds like you got some malware. I doubt that came from TDF, and as Ceej mentioned, it definitely did not come from here. Good luck.