Author Topic: RD Skull crack repair  (Read 141 times)

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
RD Skull crack repair
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »
Hello everyone.  ;D ;D ;D

I have a new addition that I will formally introduce at a later time.

Nikki (Nicole) was graciously given to me by Smoke. Her head, not the whole doll  :P   Smoke is really cool guy I'm grateful to know.

She had a bad crack starting at the rear base of the skull that migrated through the mounting hole and up to and under right eye.
Unfortunately, as I often do, I didn't think to take before pics, or pics as I progressed through the repair. But I think you can see in the finished pics how the repair was done.

I went to the hardware store and found a JB weld product specifically designed for plastics called Plastic Weld. According to the packaging, its good for most resins, thermo plastics and thermosetting plastics. So this is what I used to fill in and close the crack with. This stuff is fairly runny for the first minute or two, and I was able to get it to wick right into the crack, later as it thickened up I was able to use it to fill in the wider part of the crack for what should be a very good bond.
to help reinforce that repair I made up two form fitting plates that sandwich the base area of the skull. I used light gauge stainless steel sheet metal for the two plates. Trimmed them up with tin snips and bent them to fit using a vice.

This is the underside of the skull.

and this is the top/inside of the skull.

This is a stand I made to hold the skull when its not on a doll.

The following series of photos show the assembly of the skull.

Inside with Nikki's face in place, you can see none of the repair additions interfere with the inside parts of her face at all.

And that's it!  I hope this may help someone in the future who may need to do a similar repair.

"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
Re: RD Skull crack repair
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 06:34:12 PM »
That brings back memories of all the threads about attaching those Velcro pads.  :whistle:

Great job.

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
Re: RD Skull crack repair
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:42:55 AM »
Thanks guys!  :)
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.