Author Topic: Storage Cabinet  (Read 297 times)

senso

• Resident
Storage Cabinet
« on: March 07, 2020, 01:50:38 AM »
I am in the middle of building a storage cabinet for my dolls and maybe some room for clothes or accessories.
It's a fairly large cabinet but small compared to a closet. It's about 66"tall  30"wide and 24"deep. I plan on using a closet
rod to hang a doll with a neck bolt hook. It should be able to store two dolls (sideways) and a little room left for clothes.
Maybe a few things like shoes etc. on the bottom.
I designed this to be about as simple as possible and look good, but it is turning into, I wouldn't say nightmare, but "difficult"
One problem is, all the wood is warped to some extent, even the plywood. The plywood is especially a problem. It's not just
bowed but a bit more like a S curve. I didn't notice when I bought it.
The plywood is called sandiwood which was a lot less money than birch or oak. It looks ok but maybe it warps easily. From my
experience the oak and birch I've used was always very flat. The solid wood is aspen. Again, looks ok but a little problematic.
Well anyway, what is taking so long is custom fitting everything to get the joints square and tight.
From the photos, you can see it is fairly simple. I am also designing it so it can be disassembled. There are also furniture wheels
on the bottom so it can be moved easily.
It probably would have been better if I spent the extra money (about double) and used birch and maple.

AnonViking

• Resident
Re: Storage Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
Great project. I like the wheels  :thumb:

I have two realdoll crates in my storage room, taking up a lot of space. I'd throw them away, but you never know when you might need them.
I wish I could dissemble them easily, and reassemble when I need them. But I'm afraid of destroying them. I might need them to move the dolls.
Maybe I'll ask for some advice on that if the time comes I need the space.

I had the thought of creating my own crate, with two goals, more compact and MUCH lighter than the realdoll crate. Light even and small enough so I can move it myself with a hand truck, also up/down staircases, with the doll inside.
Now I've had to hire some guy with a mechanical hand truck to move the dolls for me. It's no fun because the guys usually suspect what is inside. So I wanted to do it myself more privately.

My thought is, you only need it to conceal the doll, it has to be secure, and the dolls needs to be on a neck hook so the crate has to be sturdy enough for that.
In fact it's design could be of only a skeleton and using something like thin sheets for cover, maybe even plastic.

The doll weight is not the issue, the realdoll crates weighs 2-3x much as the doll itself I think. I think they say the crate+doll is 200 lbs, and the dolls are usually around 60-70lbs. So I think you could create crate that is 20 lbs maybe.

senso

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »
Thanks AnonViking

I thought of that too. Building a simple crate with a skeleton of 2x4 lumber. To reduce weight maybe can use 2x2 lumber and thin
plywood as a skin. I don't think a moving/storage crate would need to be as sturdy as a shipping crate.

My dolls are TPE and were shipped in long cardboard boxes with foam padding. (Typical for TPE dolls) I kept the boxes for the same
reason you kept your crates. The problem is that it is difficult to get the dolls in and out of them and they are an eyesore. I don't have
a storage room so I keep the doll boxes in the bedroom. Also there is no closet in the bedroom. So this cabinet will make for easier storage
and look a lot better.

My first doll has some issues which I won't go into, but the new doll I got can stand and has a neck bolt. So I will store her standing in the
cabinet and partly supported by the neck bolt on a closet rod. I can also store clothing and other stuff too.

I am making this as a storage cabinet. It's not intended for moving the doll or dolls. If I ever needed to move the dolls, I was thinking of
making something like you are thinking.

The wheels are furniture wheels off an old couch. They are sturdy metal and work really well. I used wheels like this on an entertainment
cabinet I made years ago. The cabinet with old style TV and audio gear probably weighed 400LBS and the four wheels supported it.

The cabinet is about completed. I will be staining it cherry color and probably use shellac as a finish. I still need to make the door and
install a closet rod.

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Lone Star living
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
Well done, Senso!

I've been making doll crates for years for my dolls, and none of them look anywhere as nice as that!

You, are a true carpenter!

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

senso

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 04:41:43 PM »
Thanks Mahtek
I have the cabinet completed except for the stain and finish. I still need to make the door that will be hinged on the front.
For now, the project is on hold because of partial virus lock down in my city. I am working on this in a workshop at a friends
house. There are some other reasons to delay the project too, like work. I hope to start on it again in a few months.

senso

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 05:26:48 AM »
This project is going to be on hold until at least next fall. Mostly due to C19. I won't have access to the workshop until then.
It should only take about an other week or two of work to finish, but I will have to wait.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
Make sure to post pics.

;)
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

SebaSan1981

• New Resident
  • Crazy hobbyst
    • SebaSan1981 DeviantArt profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 10:19:47 AM »
Senso - thanks a lot for giving me inspiration!
I planned buy new branded doll storage box but I think will be cheaper if I made box on my own. Your project is very interesting. My box will be similiar like Yours, with whells and also with additional strong handles for better grip. Im planning add a metal bar with hook inside, strong padlock and something what make box more resistant to physical damage.

setrack

• New Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »
, strong padlock and something what make box more resistant to physical damage.

''let me out , let me out ''  , lets hope your girl is not as violent as a real woman  :D

senso

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
No problem SabaSan
Just making a utilitarian simple box should be a lot easier. What I'm making is more like furniture, but still simple. The box itself
went together in a day. Most of the construction time I'm spending is on fitting the trim pieces, sanding and finishing.

It sounds like what you want to make will be an upright box with a rod to use a hook. Mine will be the same, standing upright. In
the pics I took it is on lying on its back while I was fitting the trim pieces.

I plan on just using a hidden peg to hold the door closed, just to make the door partly secure. I don't plan to use a lock. I just don't
want the door to be opened easily by other people.

senso

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
, strong padlock and something what make box more resistant to physical damage.

''let me out , let me out ''  , lets hope your girl is not as violent as a real woman  :D

Violent women are the best!... Well, I guess it depends in what way.

I'm not going to use a lock on my cabinet because I'll probably end up accidentally locking myself in.