Author Topic: Foot Plates  (Read 266 times)

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Foot Plates
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:36 PM »
Part of Jessica's look is red high heel pumps. TPE dolls may have foot bolts that are great to protect the very soft TPE material, but only when the doll's feet are flat on the floor. With the tall heel the feet want to slide down and jam the soft toes.

The easiest way to protect the feet and toes is to make plates the shape of the inner part of the shoes. The first step is to make a template of the inner shoe with thin card stock or a manila folder. I happen to use a piece of junk mail.

After fitting the card to the shoe, I lined up the template on the sole to the bolts and pushed a drill bit through the card to the bolt heads. Next use the template on a piece of 18-20 gauge stainless steel, and cut it out with a cutoff wheel, and shape it with a grinder. Also you can flip the template over to make the other foot. Making the plate a little smaller than the shoe will make it easier to get the shoes on and off. Also if there is any differences in the shoes.

After the shape of the plate is done bend the plate to fit the curve of the shoe. It is better to bend it before drilling because the plate will want to bend at the holes, and you don't want that.

Once the plates are fitted to the shoe, mark and drill the bolt holes, then de-burr with a DA sander.
Now you're ready to put them on your doll. I changed the cap screws for pan head screws;

I also used ultra low liners to cover the plates and feet;

Now she is ready to stand;

Halleheals

• Sr. Resident
  • In Full blown doll dementia
Re: Foot Plates
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:06 AM »
This is brilliant!  :bow: I’m all over this  :thumb:
Thanks for sharing this incred! 
Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations

Halleheals

• Sr. Resident
  • In Full blown doll dementia
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:34:58 AM »
I DID I DID I DID TAW A PUDDY!

Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:52:19 AM »
You come up with some pretty innovative ideas!!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »
Excellent idea !

You are a genius !

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
I have always wanted to see Kim stand in heels. 

Would you consider selling me a pair?

Coral
Kim’s, Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
This was my version in the "Introducing Connie" thread:

is that a solid foot doll how do you stand her on heels?

I made plates from 16 gauge sheet metal and used her standing feet studs to hold it on.

I started by tracing her feet on a piece of cardboard and pressing down on the studs to mark their location.

The cardboard pattern was then fit to the shoe, and I noted where the angle was located so I could bend the plates to fit correctly.

With the plates installed, her weight is on the bottom of the plate and not crushing her toes. The load is distributed among the studs.

She can stand in 6" heels better than a lot of real women.

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

coralsheep91

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
:laugh: Camp

Not exactly my idea. Camp and Begog have made these. Just thought I'd share  :whistle:

Sure thing Coral. Just make a template to send me.

PM sent.
Kim’s, Layla's , Nicky's and Nicole Ann's pictures are here: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10378

JunkGuy

• New Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 11:52:20 PM »
Are you drilling the holes with a drill press or a handheld drill and vise?

Thanks for clarifying metal gauges slightly thinner than Camp's version work too and that it can be shaped with a cutoff/grinder tool. I've never done significant metalworking before, and when I saw Connie's plates earlier I thought it outside my abilities and tools, but now it seems within reach.

Poly

• Sr. Resident
    • Poly Gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:38:58 AM »
I definitely admire your patience and persistence! Your pictures show how much effort you put in with these types of mods. That's some doll dedication. It pays off!

Begog

• Sr. Resident
  • Dollmongerer
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
:laugh: Camp

Not exactly my idea. Camp and Begog have made these. Just thought I'd share  :whistle:

Sure thing Coral. Just make a template to send me.

:laugh:
Kinda sorta.... I showed up at Dollstock with some working prototypes made out of an old license plate. Camp ran with the idea and made some nice ones for Connie. Now we got Incred cranking them out. I want a set like that if they send me an IT doll that can actually stand, but it will require a different bolt pattern. The ones they are making should work on any Jinsan doll.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »
Junk Guy, The stainless steel is fairly hard to drill, and cut. That's why I used a cut off wheel and not a shear or snips. It was just what I had laying around the shop. I'm sure you could get some steel that is easier to work with at a hardware store. A license plate is probably 20 gauge, and I wouldn't go any thinner.

Jessica is a Piper Doll. The bolt pattern looks like a WM Doll, but I haven't tried them on Carleigh/Shelby.
She has worn high heels w/o plates though with no damage.

A bit safer with boots;

Of course using a modifier is cheating  ;D

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 05:39:46 PM »
Now thats a clever idea...... :thumb:
<<<<<<<<<<<<for album click the pic..........................