Author Topic: The Arrival of Beatrice (poster print)  (Read 80 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
The Arrival of Beatrice (poster print)
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:16:52 AM »
The Arrival of Beatrice

We are celebrating the arrival of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's painting "The Salutation of Beatrice" (a poster print). As always, right-click on any picture for a larger image.

Feodora and Beatrice

The original work is located in the Toledo Museum of Art, Gallery 32. Of all the treasures in the museums collection, this painting is by far my favorite.

From the Publication Entry:
     Pale faced, full–lipped, with a thick head of wavy chestnut hair, this image of medieval Florentine gentlewoman Beatrice Portinari embodies the Pre-Raphaelite ideal of beauty. The group of British artists and writers calling themselves the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood aspired to an aesthetic based on early Italian Renaissance art and the direct observation of nature, in contrast to what they saw as the overblown and insincere British academic style.

Feodora's Zoo Pets

Rossetti found a rich source of inspiration in the works of his namesake, thirteenth-century Italian poet Dante Alighieri. In 1861 Rossetti published a translation of Dante’s Vita Nuova (New Life), a series of autobiographical sonnets detailing Dante’s unrequited love for Beatrice Portinari. The Salutation of Beatrice illustrates lines from the second sonnet in Vita Nuova, which Rossetti inscribed on the gilded frame he designed specifically for the painting: My lady looks so gentle and so pure / When yielding salutation by the way / That the tongue trembles and has naught to say / And the eyes, which fain would see, may not endure. Beatrice walks toward us, dominating the composition, while Dante, in the background, is sheltered and comforted by the red-robed figure of Love.

The white rectangles on the wall are my indoor TV antennae.

Rossetti’s model for Beatrice was Jane Morris (1839–1914), wife of his friend the artist and designer William Morris (1834–1896). She became Rossetti’s muse (and possibly his lover), particularly after the death of his wife and model, Elizabeth Siddal, in 1862. He allegedly associated his feelings for Jane Morris with Dante’s for Beatrice, adding a personal note of longing to this, his last large-scale painting.

Dante Gabriel Rossetti (British, 1828–1882), The Salutation of Beatrice.
Oil on canvas, 1880–82. 60 3/4 x 36 in.

I looked online many times for a poster print of this painting, at a price that I was willing to pay, and for the quality that I wanted in the poster. A trip to the museum convinced me that I should get this poster now.

The Arthur Hughes painting of Ophelia (about 1865) is also in Gallery 32.

The painting and the poster

Finding a quality poster at a good price is not that easy. Another of my favorite paintings is one of the three done by John William Waterhouse. Based on an 1832 poem by Alfred, Lord Tenneyson, The Lady of Shalott (1888) illustrates the unknown Lady seated in a boat and contemplating her fate. I bought one, did not like the color cast (too dark), and bought a second poster print. They are both in the same frame with the brighter one in front. The original painting is in the Tate Britain, London.

Feodora and The Lady of Shalott

:angel: :-* :angel:
"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
See my gallery for their pictures.

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
Re: The Arrival of Beatrice (poster print)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:27:31 PM »
Congrats Noq :)

I know you've been waiting quite a while for this one  :)
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 F1 Realdoll. In addition she has several F1 expression faces as well as standard F10 and f11 faces. She also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.