Author Topic: Simple Machines Forum 2.1 First look  (Read 94 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Simple Machines Forum 2.1 First look
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »
SMF 2.1 First look

It has been about ten years since I installed the WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL and PHP) on my localhost (home computer). All of that was needed to install the Simple Machines Forum software. At the time, Our Doll Community was running without anyone who really understood the software and how it works. I did not know that it would take me seven bloody weeks to see my first SMF page!

At first I kept up with the WAMP software upgrades, but over time I got lazy. Once this website was online, the only upgrades I needed to apply were for the SMF software. The web host takes care of the rest.

The friendly folks at SMF have been working on a major upgrade, which I have also mostly ignored. I figured I could wait until they have a production model ready. But curiosity got the best of me, so I installed the 2.1 Release Candidate (translate - not ready for prime time) on my localhost. Here are a few screenshots. Right-click on any image to see a larger picture in another tab or window.

First look

Login screen 1

Login screen 2

Logged in for the first time (2 images)

Administration Centre (3 images)

I could have stitched the pictures together, but presenting them without any space gives a general idea of what the web pages look like. The black "X" in the "clicking the Help symbol" is due to a misnamed file. (Picture SMF_2_1_Admin_Centre_1.jpg)

The WAMP is installed on "my" Dell Inspiron 530 (2009 model) with Windows 7. I am so rusty on the WAMP that I used the WampServer 64 bit package on "Feodora's" Dell XPS 8920 (2017 model) with Windows 10. It still needs a lot of tweaking. All of the software that we run online (SMF, Coppermine Photo Gallery (CFG), and Blueimp's Ajax Chat) had a lot of "Deprecated" errors during installation. The code in those install files has not kept up with the rapid advances in the WAMP software.

It should be noted that CFG up to cpg1.5.48 (last stable release as of 19 Aug 2019) absolutely will not run on PHP7. There is a link to "upgrade" to cpg1.6.03 beta version. The WampServer package comes with three version of PHP7 and one version of PHP5, which I selected (after pulling out some of my hair).

"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
See my gallery for their pictures.

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

KarmaMusic

• Resident
  • Infatuated with dolls, the best eye candy!
Re: Simple Machines Forum 2.1 First look
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »
Hi Noq, I used to play with wamp, but moved to the Apache full install ,and MySQL and php7. I thought that WAMP was a developers web sever environment and not as secure as the full installs, has this changed? Still trying to play with my own web site for my home.
Making music with a harem of Fourteen dolls!
KarmaMusic

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:33 AM »
KarmaMusic,

I had never used the WampServer or any package like it, and I am glad that I did not. In those seven weeks trying to get the individual systems to work together, I learned a lot about how they work individually. (Now I have to re-study them to play 'catch-up'.) I must say that I am not happy with the way the WampServer works. It does not allow for any spaces in the path, so installing to "Program Files" on either localhost1,2  is not possible. It does not allow for an underscore in the path, so "public_html" is out, too. WTF?

Some of the WampServer files and /or *.ini settings were off, so the SMF install was hard to follow. (The page did not display correctly.) Once I got the forum up and running on "Feodora's" computer1, it looked horrible, even though it seemed to be working. I knew I had a properly working localhost on "my" computer2, so I installed SMF 2.1rc2 there. Both SMF 2.0.15 and SMF 2.1rc2 are running smoothly on "my" computer. They are installed in different directories (aka "Folders") and each has its own database.

I dumped WampServer, downloaded the latest versions of the software from the original developers3, and will re-learn how it all works. It would be easier to upload SMF 2.1rc2 to my online website, but I want to install another set of Coppermine and chat packages locally1. That way, I can see how they work together. Besides, it will be easier to upgrade the different software packages3 without having to download and upgrade all of them.

1 this localhost is on "Feodora's" computer: Dell XPS 8920, circa 2017 with Windows 10
2 this localhost is on "my" computer: Dell Inspiron 530, circa 2009 with Windows 7
3 Apache, MySQL, and PHP

:-\ :-\ :-\

JunkGuy

• New Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
Is this the first step in potentially updating ODC to 2.1?  I'll need to update the non-doll-related SMF forums I support someday - probably not for a few versions after 2.1.0 though because Simple Machines don't have a great track record with new major releases, which is why it's taken so many years to get 2.1 to the finish line. I'd feel more comfortable if a forum I visited had gone though the process first and kind of crossing my fingers that it might be you guys.  I run IIS though, so can't really help with the A part of the WAMP stack.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
JunkGuy,

I gave up trying to convince the powers that be to do any software upgrade of any kind. I only mention the upgrades that interest me and a possible upgrade to my own forum. That being the case, here is the latest news.

After some consideration, I decided that the WampServer stack was not my cup of tea. It would not allow for installation in any path that had spaces, like "Program Files", nor would it allow underscores, such as "public_html". I uninstalled the package and downloaded the latest versions of Apache and MySQL. I already had several PHP version 5* install archives.

Installing the WAMP on "Feodora's" Windows 10 computer was painless, but getting it to work together was not. The MySQL Community Server version 8.0.17 (the latest as of 20 Aug 2019) uses utf8mb4 as its default character set. Finding a way to change this to my preferred utf-8 took some digging. Before that, phpMyAdmin could not connect to the MySQL server.

I did get Feodora's WAMP running and installed SMF 2.1rc2 there. Later on I will install Coppermine Photo Gallery and Blueimp's Ajax Chat. I might install Darren's TuFat FlashChat, which Our Doll Community used in the early days.

*   The current version of Coppermine Photo Gallery (1.5.48) will not run on PHP 7. The developers have been working on an update (v 1.6.x) since April 2017. My guess is that it is taking so long because the support software (web servers, database servers, and PHP) are deprecating functions that SMF and Coppermine still call.

Man to therapist, "The world is changing so fast, I just cannot keep up!"
Therapist, "Where do you work?"
Man, "Rand McNally!"

8) O0 8)