Author Topic: I want to learn more about doll making: Canals & Heads  (Read 40 times)

StraitJacketJohnny

• Lurker
I want to learn more about doll making: Canals & Heads
« on: October 06, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »
I read the rules for this particular site, ODF, and it appears I'm in the clear. I'm coming here from a, um, rival community site if you will, a place where asking these kinds of questions gets your posts pulled or your account suspended. All was good for me (over the years) at the site in question, that is, until I began showing an interest in making dolls. I hope such is not the case here. Without further ado, I ask:

First and foremost, I am mystified mostly (albeit not solely) by the concept of carving out the necessary canal(s) in the doll. When I took to the other site in question, I simply asked if this process can/does or must take place during the curing process. I've toyed with three different hypotheses, yet none appear satisfactory thus far, yet I cannot be sure. My best hypothesis--for better or worse--is that the clay moldings of the inner canal(s) is inserted using a rod or wire (or some such) during the curing process. But, I'm unsure if this is even feasible, let alone right or not.

My second concern, which is as such since I've recently decided to scale my initial projects down to smaller dolls, i.e., from 150cm to 83cm (Give or take), is with the doll skull. This is especially mystifying since I've opted to work on PVC skeletons first. I am open to steel in the future, to be sure, yet the prospect of PVC appealed to me for a variety of reasons. I also proposed, at the site whose name I dare not speak, that perhaps one is to purchase a liquid plastic of some kind and from this material mold and release a face plate boasting three holes. Then, one is to repeat what is relatively the same process, but, this time mold and release a shell which is to serve as the skull. Finally, I surmised that (maybe) some sort of foam ought to be poured in the hollow area of the skull, sans the three hole areas. All the areas I've covered, this last one is the one I'm least convinced of.

Again, I'm mystified and would love some of you more experienced DIYs to shed light on these areas if you could. I've advanced past the initial phases, these being sketching, sculpting, joint building, material purchasing (mostly--sans final production phase silicone mold & pour). I'm ready to create life  :laugh:

:thumb:

StraitJacketJohnny

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
Re: I want to learn more about doll making: Canals & Heads
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »
Welcome Aboard !

I don't know why that question would be so difficult. Maybe someone can chime in.
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.