Author Topic: Smart Doll- Mirai (Cortex Final Boss) (DIY)  (Read 1208 times)

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
Smart Doll- Mirai (Cortex Final Boss) (DIY)
« on: November 19, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
Hey all,

Thank you for all of the nice birthday wishes yesterday.. It was a wonderful relaxing day for me and the girls..  I was
also surprised with the newest addition to my Smart Doll family.  Mirai!! Who is a Smart Doll cortex final boss kit.  Which
I will be putting together myself.  I will also be posting pictures of her build progress over the next few days.
This should be interesting.  Wish me luck!!  ^-^

Here is the kit as it comes packaged...

Not quite sure what her name will be once she is completed..  But this is what she should look like when I'm finished..  ;)

DOLLS + LINGERIE = ONE HECK OF A GOOD TIME!!!!

Halleheals

• Sr. Resident
  • Aka Dees Luver and Journey’s slave
Re: A Birthday Surprise!!! Mirai (Smart Doll) Cortex Final Boss kit (DIY)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 11:08:05 PM »
You lucky dog you! Congratulations Nova! And you are very brave my friend.. no instructions!  :o  good luck brother :thumb:  :bow:
Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:58:43 AM »
You lucky dog you! Congratulations Nova! And you are very brave my friend.. no instructions!  :o  good luck brother :thumb:  :bow:

Thanks buddy! 

senso

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:34:14 AM »
I am considering getting the cortex kit sometime.  A lot cheaper than the completed premium ones.
It will be interesting to see the assembly progress. I noticed D C has an instruction video for the cortex.
It's probably important to see that first for the assembly tricks.
Good luck.

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 01:35:35 AM »
 Finished Mirai's internal skeleton this afternoon. 

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:19:44 AM »
Oh wow!  Now that just looks cool!

Almost like a new Star Wars droid  :thumb:

Nice to see you make it through a difficult part!
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »
I am considering getting the cortex kit sometime.  A lot cheaper than the completed premium ones.
It will be interesting to see the assembly progress. I noticed D C has an instruction video for the cortex.
It's probably important to see that first for the assembly tricks.
Good luck.

Well, if your really good at building models and love doing it.  Then I say go for it. Otherwise I would not recommend
purchasing the cortex final boss or the ninja grade kits based on the cheaper price.  And yes YouTube has been very,
very helpful.  In fact there's quite a few cortex instructional video out there, including Danny's...  I actually didn't start
with Danny's cortex video. At least until I got to the point where I was ready to start putting her body shell pieces together. 
Mainly because he shows putting together the Cortex Ninja grade kit. Which already has all of the internal skeleton parts
pre-assembled. 

I plan on giving my final thoughts about the product and the build when I am finished. I will also note some tips and
tricks that I did which made things a lot easier.

Oh wow!  Now that just looks cool!

Almost like a new Star Wars droid  :thumb:

Nice to see you make it through a difficult part!

LOL! The Smart Droid!  or R2-SD :laugh:

Thanks Ceej! I like a good challenge. And this one is right up my alley..  ^-^ I made a bit more progress
since that last picture was taken. As her thigh pieces are now assembled on her frame.  Started working on
her lower torso but got kinda late last night and called it quits.  She coming together rather quickly.  And I'm
estimating completion of her either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:06:10 PM »
She's finished! And she turned out  great..  ^-^

Thighs completed

Lower torso assembled and installed..

Shins, calves and feet in place..

Bust is on and looking good.
Mirai came with a standard Cortex bust. But I decide to upgrade her with a vinyl push-up bust.   :D

And here she is all completed!  :)

Ok here are my final thoughts! This kit was a blast to build.. I loved every minute of it..  For me the build was not a huge
challenge.  But there was a lot of connecting components where the tolerances were pretty tight..  And there was quite a
bit of sanding involved to shave down some of the pegs so they would go into the connecting holes without having to use
Brut force. 

The most difficult part of the entire build was assembling the elbow joint shown below.  Which has two halves that snap
together along with two hinge joints that go in between.  And I tell you it will pretty much numb your fingers trying to
snap that thing together.  I ended up laying the elbow assembly on the work bench like shown in the picture and pressing
it with the palm of my hand until it snapped in place.  Which seemed to work pretty well. 

Other than that everything went together pretty easy.   The tools required were a pair of plastic model gate snipers,  #1
Phillips screwdriver,  Long nose pliers,  x-acto knife,  and a few Q-tips.  Glue was also required in which I went with
Mr Just (Mr hobby) and Loctite Super glue. Which was recommended by Danny Choo.

Now would I buy this kit again? Yes most defiantly! I had a great time with it. I really enjoy building models and doing all
kinds of things like this.   For me it was all about the enjoyment of putting Mirai together and not about the price.  I
wanted the challenge..  And she gave me a good one..  Now it's time to enjoy the other aspect of her and give her a
beautiful personality.  As for her name?  Mirai is final.. I decided to go with her factory given name..  :)

And now would I recommend purchasing the Cortex final Boss kit?  Well that depends. If your someone like me who
loves and is really good at building models and likes a challenge.  I say yes go for it!  But if your one that is just looking to
save a buck without the consideration of what is necessary to put a smart doll cortex together.  In that case I would not
recommend it.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 08:09:44 PM »
That's pretty cool Nova!

I especially liked seeing the various stages of construction. :)

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 09:49:03 PM »
This may sound stupid or 'what's the dif?' but I'm not crazy about the seams on the arms and legs. If I could sand them down or use a filler I would be more interested.

I suppose it would work best with clothes so you wouldn't know the difference, and save the vinyl body for...exposure  :drool:

As it is I try to use whatever means possible to hide the regular ball joints. Example is the maid dress. I wanted cap sleeves to hide the shoulder joints.

At least it looks like you did a good job of keeping the seams to a minimum  :thumb: 

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 11:10:04 PM »
This may sound stupid or 'what's the dif?' but I'm not crazy about the seams on the arms and legs. If I could sand them down or use a filler I would be more interested.

I suppose it would work best with clothes so you wouldn't know the difference, and save the vinyl body for...exposure  :drool:

As it is I try to use whatever means possible to hide the regular ball joints. Example is the maid dress. I wanted cap sleeves to hide the shoulder joints.

At least it looks like you did a good job of keeping the seams to a minimum  :thumb:

From the Cortex build video that Danny did,  he states that you can use a filler or even use glue to fill the seams before sanding it down and painting.  He even shows a cortex project that one of his employee's
was working on' Where the seams were filled in.  Here's the link to the video in case your interested in checking it out..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLN56jWyeo  Look around 42 minute mark on the
video timeline. For me the separation lines don't bother me. But I've also seen some pretty bad cortex builds where those separation line were huge.. 

As for the difference..  Well i believe the main difference would be more in the benefit to Culture Japan.  As production to make the cortex is cheaper and quicker to meet supply and demand.   
I have head some differences such as the cortex is a lot less prone to fabric staining then the Vinyl version.  The cortex also has less flexibility in certain areas due to the rigidity of the plastic.
For that reason I upgraded Mirai's bust to Vinyl.  As for clothing.. Some have said that the cortex is easier to dress.. But I honestly don't see any difference in the ease of dressing appose to my
vinyl versions.

Thank incred for that complement.. My main focus was just take my time on her. And pay attention to what I was doing. I also did a dry run on everything so I knew thing where suppose to click in.
Instead of trying to fight with it while the glue is drying.  ???

senso

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 12:48:20 AM »
She tuned out nice. Cool progress pics too.
I agree. The kit is complex and probably better to have some experience with modeling. The doll doesn't look too
complicated until you see all the parts.
I have a fair amount of experience with models... I mean kits and such not fashion models. So I think I might give it
a try in the future. I'm not too bothered by the seams and the cortex looks almost as good as the vinyl. Also less
likely to stain.
Only three kits to choose from but Mirai is probably still my favorite. 

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
She tuned out nice. Cool progress pics too.
I agree. The kit is complex and probably better to have some experience with modeling. The doll doesn't look too
complicated until you see all the parts.
I have a fair amount of experience with models... I mean kits and such not fashion models. So I think I might give it
a try in the future. I'm not too bothered by the seams and the cortex looks almost as good as the vinyl. Also less
likely to stain.
Only three kits to choose from but Mirai is probably still my favorite.

Thanks for the kind words Senso.. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Mirai.. She is just so cute..  Plus she's kinda iconic in the smart doll world.
As she's pretty much the first model that started it all..  Also I think you would have no problem with the kit.  And you might even enjoy the project. 

So, if you do get the kit which version would you be planning on getting? The Ninja grade or the Final boss?  I would suggest the boss kit since your
going as far as building a kit. So why not go all the way.  Here is a really good YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB2QAI2VEUA)
on building the internal skeleton.   Once the skeleton is complete then you can switch over to DC's video on building the Cortex.

Also Danny mentions that you don't have to use glue on the body pieces. But he recommends that you do.  I have seen a few builds where people
have opted not to use glue. And the out come looked great! The only down fall is that you will have some pieces that will separate often.  Also you
will have more noticeable separation lines as there is nothing holding the parts tightly together.  So I would recommend the use of glue as well. 

And here is the glue Danny recommends using.

Mr JUST:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Hobby-Just-Brush-Type-Cement-MJ197-Gunze-GSI-Creos-Model-Kit-Glue-Jar-Liquid/271454418703?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Loctite Supeglue:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loctite-Professional-Super-Glue/302908552654?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Anyways I hope you do decide to get a Cortex and do the build. And I hope it will be an enjoyable experience.  If you do.. Please do take lots of pictures of the build..   ^-^

Nova-1

• Sr. Resident
  • IN DOLL HEAVEN!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »
This one is for you ceej.. You were asking about the original cortex bust that came with the kit.. Well here you go..
Mirai is glad to show it to you..  :D

I also opted to upgrade her hands to vinyl too..  Well, she's actually just borrowing one set of hands from Iris' optional pack.
The cortex hands are kinda tough to put on. Plus both cortex hands are closed fisted. 

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »
Thanks Mirai :)

Wow....4 boobies...that's kinda kewl!  :P