Author Topic: An Anime Thread, MK II  (Read 33924 times)

PBShelley

• Resident
    • Alastor's Reflection--->Unbound.org
An Anime Thread, MK II
« on: December 04, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »
Hi all,

As I did over at TDF, I wanted to start an anime thread here where members might want to share their knowledge, favorites, and thoughts about this artform that is relatively little-known in the West (aside from the typically juvenile stuff that gets marketed over here on TV). There is such diversity with regard to not only genres but stories and characters as well. There really is something for everyone as long as they have any sort of interest in animation, graphic novels, comic books, stories of depth, fantasy, being moved and/or awestruck, and... dolls!

When I joined TDF late in 2003 I knew nothing of anime except the assumption that it was "kid stuff", as most Westerners do. Then, over the years, I kept seeing references in various posts about two "doll-related" anime in particular: Rozen Maiden and Chobits. RM deals more with living, magical ball-jointed dolls and their "raison d'etre", while Chobits spoke of a deeper, more overtly human-related story with regard to relationships with life-sized humanoid computers, named "Persocoms". Both of these shows are wonderful introductions into anime, if you're not so inclined to start delving into the medium willy-nilly. Careful picking and choosing is necessary in order to find a show that is to your liking since there is so much out there.

And, so this post (and thread)! Before I turn it over to you, I thought I'd highlight these two series, and then an update to the modern day to see where these subjects have led: a recent show called "Time of Eve" (Eve no Jikan).

Rozen Maiden tells of a group of dolls that were created and imbued with life and magical powers by their creator, known to them only as "Father." The world knows him as Rozen, a legendary and gifted dollmaker, long-since disappeared. Their purpose: To play a deadly centuries-old war called "The Alice Game", so-called because its purpose is to ween out and declare the victor as transcendent, becoming "the perfect girl, Alice", and the only doll suitable to be the one to meet "Father" after all opponents are defeated and the Game is finally over. By snatching each defeated doll's Rosa Mystica (something akin to a Soul, and source of each doll's powers), the victor will finally ascend to Father's loving embrace.

The exact question of WHY a loving creator would want his beloved creations to fight each other to death solely in order to be reunited with him remains a mystery throughout the series. And in re-reading the previous sentence it might strike the reader that there IS a similarity between humans and THEIR Creator, along with the "God is on our side" mentality that warring nations of humans proclaim. Thought-provoking, a bit?  ;D

Anyway, this is just a brief summary, and a lead-in to this YouTube video that will serve as a sampling of Rozen Maiden's delights. To be sure, there is a lot of comedy and doll-hijinx that lighten the heaviness (and in Season Two, "Traumend," it is needed as it gets pretty serious), but this series has many moving, provocative, and dreadful moments as well. The video is taken from the "Ouverture" 2-part special, that explained the enmity between Shinku (the blonde red-garbed doll) and Suigintou (the white-haired black-clothed winged doll) that was depicted in the show's first season. This AMV (Anime Music Video) features Evanescence doing "Even in Death" as its backdrop, and most-suitable, as all AMV song choices should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GCoph0pCb8

Dammit, I couldn't embed the video and that kinda killed my enthusiasm, along with the difficulty of making long posts using this Simple Machines "engine" which is a PITA  >:(

So, I'll continue this post on my Blog later tonight! Of course, you can leave comments there if so inclined; I welcome those from old friends especially ;) I just wanted to get the ball rolling here, and hope that members of ODC can share their thoughts, opinions, and recommendations with each other in this thread  8)

Happy viewing,
PBS (& Lily, who also loves anime)

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
Re: An Anime Thread, MK II
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:31:58 AM »
All right, another Anime thread ;D

I agree, Anime has become very diverse.  I have a few anime's that I greatly enjoy:)
  Wolf Rain : a futuristic story about  a wolf in his search for paradise.
  Glass Fleet : a space oddesy of a pirate VS the 'royalty'
  Death Note : GREAT intruige and suspence story ;D
  Chobits :   A very cute anime dealing with the question of human/synthetic love
  Elfen Lied : A great story that does not fit neatly into any catagory - but be prepared, there is alot of blood & guts.  This one will flail away any innocence you have left.

PBShelley

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
Hi Keith,

Nice choices there  ;D

If you liked Wolf's Rain, you may enjoy Spice and Wolf: A story about an ancient "wolf-god" who's been incarnated as a mischievous, clever, and wise girl named Horo, who takes up with a merchant/trader named Lawrence in a quest to return to her homelands far to the north. What sets this series apart is its emphasis on economics and trade; it's very well-written and very dialogue-centric. Very intelligent and enjoyable series! Horo is  :-*

If you liked Glass Fleet then you might dig Last Exile, a serious epic tour-de-force involving fighting ships of the atmospheric variety, warring factions overseen by a mysterious organization that has its own plans, lots of intrigue, air-battles high over the land, and a feel of space opera while not quite out in space! Seen through the eyes of its two main characters, Claus and Levie (two messengers who pilot a lighter-than-air vehicle called a vanship), who are tasked with delivering a small girl into the hands of a renegade and Ahab-esque Captain of a ship named The Silvana. She just might hold the key to uniting the warring factions. Awesome dogfighting scenes, beautiful and detailed character designs by Range Murata, interesting steampunk-ish tech, and a deep story, this one could be right up your alley, especially, Keith!

Seriously, check out this youtube clip of the ending theme over a montage of scenes; watch it in HQ and fullscreen to be blown away!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjwyfSauwiI

If you liked Death Note... well, there's nothing else quite like it  ;D I started buying it but went broke after only the first two volumes  :'(

Ditto Chobits, BUT... try to find Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve); I think it's streaming on Crunchyroll. Based (loosely) around Asimov's "robot principles" (can't recall what they're called), it tells of a society that has accepted the use of androids as helpers, and set partially in a bar that is friendly to both androids and humans. Interestingly, Chobits voice actress for Chii, Rie Tanaka, plays Sammy, a helper robot in the main character's home. This was an Internet-only series, but it may be released as a movie next year that will blend all 6 episodes.

If you liked Elfen Lied... hm, I'd suggest Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, better known in N.A. as "When They Cry". One of the most intricate, horrifying, mysterious, violent series ever, it really is a jigsaw-puzzle of a story spread over two seasons. And it makes the blood & gore in Elfen Lied seem like nothing; at times it's even painful to watch! The writer, Ryukishi07, really spins together a world in which alternate points-of-view are used to propel the plots, where repeated incidents shown through differing characters' eyes continually re-orient the viewer's knowledge of the story events. Then the world re-sets  :o One of the most (if not THE most) mind-fucking shows ever  8)

Enjoy what ya like  ;D

PBS

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
  • Wing Divers are the natural enemy of giant insects
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself a 'hardcore' fan.  But I have been watching anime since I was a kid.  I cut my teeth on the classics, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, Voltron etc...  though like many it was Robotech that did it for me.  I've seen many of the must see movies like Akira, the original Macross movie that started the whole Robotech craze, GITS 1 and 2, the 1st Ninja Scoll, Megazone23 1 and 2, Vampire Hunter D (haven't seen the remake), Spirited Away, Princess Monokee, Castle of Cagliostro and some others I'm forgetting.  I've purchased Evangelion, Nadesico, and currently am watching the second season of the original Dragonball series.

I have become friends with Davecat who has reignited my interest in the genre.  The 1st thing I saw with him was Giant Robo.  My god was that INCREDIBLE!  He has also brought over a spin off mini series to Giant Robo (Ginrai) and another interesting one called Read or Die.  He introduced me to Time of Eve which is VERY GOOD.  He is interested in the live action stuff also.  He is watching various Kamen Rider series and is VERY knowledge about the various Ultraman series.  When he come over here we are watching a few episodes at a time of one called GARO.  VERY GOOD show!

Anyways, I'm not really into many of the shows that end up late night on Cartoon Network, Bleach, FMA, Naruto, or any of the other Ninja, Samurai type stuff.  Mostly was interested in the Tech/Battlesuit stuff.  DC has the original Gundam series which I'm going to have to borrow.  He is also into some of the newer Gundam series.

Well, that's my story, hopefully this thread will continue on like the other one  :D

PBShelley

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »
I have to thank both Davecat and Fargo for introducing me to anime through TDF. I'd become interested through the figures and eroge games, and they provided info that led me to those first series I mentioned. Even so, it wasn't until 2007 that I really began watching; since I wasn't working though I was able to devote myself to it full time, almost literally, from there on out. My method was simple: check Anime News Network's various Top Ten lists and their ratings, then go and find episodes to download. Marathon, rinse and repeat  ;D

I bought most of the series that I liked though, since I believe that a balance must be struck between gobbling all that you can get, and paying to support the hobby/artform. Ended up getting quite a few Geneon titles before they went under, like Haibane Renmei (fantasy), Fate Stay/Night (action), Rozen Maiden (comedy-action), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (HORROR-mystery), and lots more  :o

I'm jealous that you get to watch with Davecat! He's the Gundam Expert! Although for the most part, and with a few exceptions, I never really got into the various "Giant Robot" anime, though he did take the time to explain the differences to me. I will buy Evangelion, since it's such a classic  8) I won't discriminate though, and if a story looks interesting I will check it out no matter what genre.

And wait, what? DC is into Read or Die?  :o I saw a couple of striking figures of two of the characters that looked interesting; maybe someday  :D Yeah, Time of Eve is great; I need to find those last two eps...

Agreed about the Adult Swim/Cartoon Network programs. Or programming, let's say. I did get into Blood + (enjoyed it after finding subtitled eps) and Trinity Blood (great premise but failed ending that even subs couldn't save I'm assuming). A really good show you MIGHT enjoy that was on it is Death Note; excellent story with a very suspenseful pulse to it. I'm much more proactive in going out and finding those series online rather than waiting on marketers to program what they like for me  :P

Thanks for your contribution  :D

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
Finally, an Anime thread I can get in on the ground floor with (I found the one at the other site far too late to try to catch up). I have got a lot of anime I need to catch up on. The only thing I can add to the conversation right now is to Euchre. Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust (the second film), is not a remake of the 1980s original. It is a sequel.
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H (Celeste Head); Unnamed Sinthetics B2D with Unnamed (Eliza head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Ki (Alicia head), Unnamed (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves.

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »
Oops Forgot... I'm into Godzilla too.  Have most of the movies (Japanese ver with subs)  If you are interested I know a place in Jersey that sells live action Japanese shows and movies.  I think its a borderline bootlegger but they have been around for a while now so something must be legit....  ;D

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:27:22 AM »
Bel, I am with you on Vampire hunter D, good story!

PBS, I found blood +, but only got partway through it before I started building this forum.  I really have to get back to it!  I also have to look up the anieme's you suggested.  "When they cry' sounds promising, but I have yet to find another anime that has the gut-punching power of elfen Lied ;D

For those of you who do not know, here is a good watch-on-line anime link http://www.animeseason.com/anime-list/

Almost all the anime's I watch, I watch on here since I have no TV-time.  www.hulu.com also has anime's in their cartoons area. 

PBShelley

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
OMG Keith... you would LOVE "When They Cry"!!! (A more literal translation would be "When the Cicadas Cry".) It's best known as "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" and its second season "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai", 26 and 24 episodes respectively. Where Elfen Lied had that gut-punching power you mention, Higurashi is more like a dozen kicks to the head. By Chuck Norris  :o There's some serious mind-fucking going on! But since it's all in the hands of a real craftsman-storyteller it all eventually makes sense by Kai's last episode. During the ride though........ let's say it's bumpy as all hell! As a writer I'm sure you'll appreciate the excellent plot and logic manipulation that this storyteller weaves. It's not got the romantic element of Elfen Lied, but everything else in spades  :o

Based on a game, and as intricate as a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, the first season contains four "Question Arcs" plus one "Answer Arc" at the end. "Kai" depicts the remaining Answer Arcs plus an anime-only one. Basically, the same events unfold through differing characters' eyes. VERY basically. The Question Arcs show the events with certain pieces in play; the Answer Arcs build their way towards the solution. I highly suggest that when you do watch, make time for the first FIVE episodes, so that you can experience the story device.

I recall being PISSED due to not knowing what the hell was going on! So I found AnimeSuki Forum, where a dedicated Higurashi thread exists that sorts the pieces out and makes everything somewhat clearer. Plus, it has a thread dedicated to the TIPS from the game that REALLY go a long way towards fleshing things out that in the anime are glossed over or skipped, which all told really makes it a complete and satisfying experience! Higurashi is best-watched accompanied by careful reading of both threads, so as not to spoil yourself. Someone advised me to just stick with it, don't think TOO much (yet), and just go with the flow. Essentially, the world "resets" and will continue to do so until ALL the correct pieces to unravel the mystery of what happened in Hinamizawa village are collected and played out. The whys are the Secret  ;)

And thanks for that link! I found Higurashi AND Kai on it, and even Rei (a 5-episode OVA seies that just finished airing recently). SO GET WATCHING!!!!!!!!! It'll surely blow (out) your mind! I'll make it easy for you:
http://www.animeseason.com/higurashi-no-naku-koro-ni/
One of the best anime Opening Themes ever! And, the short poems written and read by "Fredericka Bernkastel" over the previews are wonderfully written...something of a major over-arcing Piece in itself  ;)

Incidentally, what is considered Higurashi's third season is currently airing (23/26 episodes out so far); it's called "Umineko no Naku Koro ni", or, "When the Seagulls Cry". Higurashi ought to be watched first, then Kai for it all to make delicious sense. And Rei is more like a dessert  ;) Umineko's another bird entirely...

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 09:12:04 PM »
been a while since I've heard one of the best (if not the best) anime songs ever....

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/macrossdyrl/aioboete.htm

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
Can't understand a word, but a lovely song & a pretty girl singing it always has my attention 8)

PBShelley

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the song, Euchre  8) I saw Macross: Do You Remember Love? a few months ago, and thought it was good, despite my ambivalence for mecha (in general). The story was moving and the song was perfect for the character of Lynn Minmay. Even though made in 1984, the movie was not really all that antiquated in terms of telling a story that was relatable. But I'm still "growing up" and into that genre, so if anyone's curious, check it out for yourself  :D

Speaking of anime movies, I FINALLY got Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) movie 7, the grand finale of this series! Been waiting like 5 or 6 months for this  ;D Haven't watched it yet; waiting for the right moment. But everything up until now has been amazing... it really has something for everyone! Great action, animation, and characters, and the story... OMG  :o Movie 5 was incredible even on its own; what a head-fucker!

I've also been watching Monster (at last); I'm up to around ep 12 or so of 74, and it's really good. Kinda like a mix between Death Note and... um. Have to get back to you on what else it's like because it's pretty unique  ;)

litlluvr

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
Funny!!! Monster is currently playing on Sy-Fy (Sci-Fi)
on cable Tv every Monday night at 10pm Central time
here!!

Of course, It is dubbed though. I saw the first episode
and it really didn't appeal to me. Some animies do that
to me and then I catch them near the middle or the end
and end up wishing that I would have watched it though!!!

Is Monster the Animie where this Boy is dead and then
revived by a Doctor in the first episode, PBS??

Take care!! litlluvr, Yoshe, And hopefully ready soon...
                 Amiko.

PBShelley

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
Yep, that's the one! Doctor Tenma is ordered by the hospital's Director to operate on the town's mayor who was brought in after the boy who'd been shot in the head. Tenma decides to tend to the boy and saves his life, thereby causing his "demotion", disgrace, and eventually departure. He is solid in his feeling that saving the boy was the right thing to do, but some years later discovers through the murders of quite a few people that he may have saved a "monster" instead...

I dunno how the dub is, but in any language it's a gripping story  8)

And I always give a series 4 episodes to get going; a lot of them take that long (or thereabouts) in order to provide backstories and show the characters interacting before the plot kicks in  ;)

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »
 :o the mayor got shot in the head???   
<ducks>