Author Topic: Formal Sinthetics 1H Review  (Read 28511 times)

Briko

• New Resident
Formal Sinthetics 1H Review
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
Hello All.

It's been a while since I had a chance to really have much serious 'doll time' and some review comments are bit overdo. I have been extremely busy on projects at work and will likely be so for the remainder of the year. The good thing is all the work allows me to get the bonus funds that make it possible to order thing like high-end dolls . Anyway, I thought I would spend a bit of time to put together a small review.

I guess it's hard to be completely objective when one is reviewing a product like this, as by definition, it was chosen by you in large part because of it's visual appeal over something else. There is also the issue of experience. If you have never owned a product like this you really have nothing to gauge it against. I do have some first-hand experience with these items, but not as much as others here. I don't mean to come across as anal about this, but given the cost of these products in this hobby, I think everyone should try to be as fair and objective as possible when offering formal reviews. There really is no other source for info or reviews than what we find on forums devoted to the subject. As of today, it also appears that this is the only place to get, or post, any kind of user review or info on this manufacturer.

This is my second go with a silicone doll. Outside of having an interest in this subject as something of a quasi-fetish, photography was also a large reason for a purchase. I had always found Loveable Dolls appealing and likely would have eventually purchased one had the company still been around when I came back after an asbence from the hobby. As far as the main players in the high-end doll market goes, I have never seen a doll I thought was unattractive or think I would be unhappy owning, but something about the faces on the SInthetics and the details caught my attention. It's all a matter of preference so there really isn't a right or wrong choice. Something will either strike your fancy or it won't. Even though Sinthetics is relatively new to the scene, I had no qualms about ordering from Sinthetics, as from all I could gather, Matt Krivicike had a reputation for always delivering a high-quality product.

These are the items I think most people would be interested in as I always hear questions or comments about them in response to reviews and such.

Ordering:

Ordering was trouble-free and straightforward. I had wanted a number of custom features such as tan lines and a tattoo. Bronwen was very helpful in assisting with my selections and helping me with the choice of a tattoo design. I never had any issues contacting SInthetics or receiving replies to E-Mails. All correspondence was answered within 24 hours, if not sooner. I had also used the Live-Chat feature at the SInthetics site on a number of occasions, to ask a few questions about my order. I finalized my order in early August and received the product in late October. Given the custom-feature set I had ordered and the personal issues that Matt Krivicike encountered at home, delivery time was certainly not an issue. No complaints here.

Specs and options:

I ordered the 1H with Tawny and Monique heads. I am waiting on the Tawny head but that was partly my decision. The head was actually completed but I was given the option of waiting as Matt is reworking the head to allow the jaw to articulate. On the current mold, the jaw is not articulated and I thought that would be a nice option for photography.

All of the options I ordered were delivered as requested. All details on items such as as eye shadow, lip color, etc were as requested, without exception. When working with Bronwen on the tattoo template, we had exchanged a few emails and the tattoo was also applied exactly as requested. As far as the tan lines, Matt Krivicke had experimented a bit and come up with a final version that I was more than pleased with.

What's in the box:

Delivered with the product are a number of accessories. A small fashion bag contains items such as a small Static Spray canister; hand sanitizer to assist with lubricating parts that are removed or adjusted; a small bottle of 'Moist' lubricant; hand and leg slip-on covers to keep the fingers and appendages from getting scuffed up when moving, and a small container of perfume which has a very nice scent. Also included is a small diary-style users guide with information on your doll and info on how to move, position, and adjust limbs and joints. The doll itself comes wrapped in a shroud. It is all very well done with nice personal touched and details. Overall, the impression I got is the same as if I had received a hand-crafted cabinet from Amish Country. The product itself screams personal attention to details.

The doll was delivered with the jet black F1 wig I had ordered and a clothing item I had selected. White sandals and tasetful earrings and necklace were also included. The wig is of good quality. I actually chose the wig based on a color and style I did not already own with my prior doll.  Sinthetics has a very nice variety of styles to choose from.

Odor:

As far as odors, the body itself seems (to my nose) to be odor-free. The head has a slight chemical scent somewhat similar to turpentine, which I attribute either to the makeup or the glue used on the eyelashes. This has diminished and I suspect it will eventually go away completely. Regardless, I wouldn't classify it as anything annoying, just noticeable.

I am breaking the review into a couple posts as I am having extreme difficult with the text editor. I acually wrote the review in word and pasted it as unformatted text but the editor is going bonkers.

Briko

• New Resident
Re: Formal Sinthetics 1H Review
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Skin:

The skin itself has an anti-reflective coating and is something that is a well-needed addition, IMO. This will be especially noticeable when taking photographs. There is absolutely no shine, reflection, or glare from flash or studio lighting. The skin does not have an oily texture. I had always found this to be a bit bothersome in the past when taking photos. There will be no need to powder the doll for photography. The skin itself is not stick-free when it comes to clothing. However, as far as getting clothes on and off, it is much easier than with the non-coated silicone skin I was used to. A lot easier. You will still find lint or hairs will stick, but again, I have found this to not be as troublesome as with non-treated silicone. I have found the static spray keeps the lint and hairs off. As far as tactile sensations, the skin is very smooth. It is not as frictionless as real skin but has a smooth texture to it.

Softness:

]The overall term I would use to describe the feel of the doll is summed up in one phrase: Well-toned. The texture of the arms, legs, thighs and rear is soft and firm. The breasts are soft and squishy. They do not jiggle but are the softest part of the doll. I do not claim to be a stud who has had my hands on all of the variety of breast shapes and sizes, so I can only make a guestimate. I would say they are probably what one would feel from a young lady with a fresh set of implants. The face and lips have a very realistic texture. I would say almost true-to-life. There is a removable tongue which is very realistic in feel and look.

Inserts:

I ordered the removable insert. I have never had the fleshlights which everyone talks about, but assume this would be on par. The insert is soft and pliable. It is obviously not as soft as, and does not have the same texture as the real thing, but I doubt many would have many complaints here. In hindsight, I think I would have ordered the fixed insert, simply for photographic reasons. With the removable insert, you will see noticeable gaps form between the insert and cavity walls when the doll's legs are opened and it is hard to remedy this. It does not interfere with functionality or slippage but it will be noticeable. That is just my two cents and something to consider when deciding fixed vs removable. I think gaps are unavoidable when you have a removable insert,

Range of motion:

Overall the positioning of limbs is quite easy. There is plenty of range of motion to be found in the joints. One of the few negative comments I have is that the elbow joints seemed to be quite stiff out of the box. The left elbow had started to stiffen up quite a bit to the point where I was having trouble moving it. I would pin this on user error and I might have been forcing things to hard but it took some undoing to get it to move. I would only comment that perhaps the elbows should be loosened up a bit on delivery. Then again, there may be an optimal stiffness on delivery vs how much joints may loosen over time. People might complain they are too loose. With my limited experience with this type of product, I can only offer guesses and uninformed opinions on what is too stiff or too loose.

The skeleton is, to a large degree, self-supporting. Obviously the doll will not stand on its own without support. However, the body is capable of holding many poses unsuported--sitting, arms and legs extended and retracted at various angles, etc.. The waist yaws and the upper torso will bank left and right. The skeleton has a high degree of flexibility and accommodates a great many poses and positions that I haven't seen on other models out on the market.

The silicone teeth are pearly-white and very realistic looking. The mouth opens and closes about 15-20 degrees. One minor issue that I noted was that opening and closing the mouth by using the chin as a lever was producing some minor scuffing and chaffing on the chin under the lip. This may very well fall into user error. Perhaps I should be using the jaw line as the lever.

Weight:

I did not weigh the doll but I found it to be very manageable and a relative non-issue. The 1H is listed as weighing in at 73 pounds. The doll feels lighter than what I was used to and moving and positioning the doll has not been troublesome in the least.  The only time I really give it much notice is when I am hooking the bolt onto the stand hook. It takes a bit of looking around to see where the bolt is situated and then hitting the bullseye.  I don't think any doll made of silicone will ever be classified as a featherweight and if weight is a general concern, a buyer probably wouldn't be looking at silicone to begin with. Everything being relative, I can't share much else as I really have not handled many other products and don't know the weights of all of the dolls available on the market. I just don't think anyone looking for a silicone doll would find the weight to be any issue of great concern.

Build Quality:

The overall build of the doll appears to be solid and sturdy. In many spots, the seems are usually only visibile if you look for them and they don't distract much from the overall flow. On the torso, they are barely noticeable. When running your hand down the sides of the arms and legs, there is only a small hint of their presence.  There are no large ridges or significant indentations anywhere along the seems.

Finger Wires:   Having never owned a doll with fully articulated joints and finger wires, I was a bit curious and concerned about issues with this feature. This appears to be something that gets a lot of discussion when doll anatomy is discussed and is a topic that shows up frequently in threads related to repairs.  The doll has been handled quite a bit, the hands and fingers have been posed and the hands have even been used as supprots. A couple of times, I have also managed to catch the fingers on clothing items a couple of times. I have not observed any issues or problems. There have been no finger pokes or wires breaking through to the surface. I felt around the fingers to try to get a guage for what was in there and can't quite tell.  Whatever it is, it appears to be doing the job without any issues. The nails appear stutdy as well.  Based on my past experience, this is one of the things that go quite quickly and I am quite pelased with this item. The nails are on there strong. 

Overall Realism

I have found the visual realism to be quite stunning. There are many beautiful and realistic photographs of these dolls that can readily be seen here and elsewhere. However, seeing the doll in person in three dimensions raises the level a bit higher, especially when laying eyes on one for the first time. In fact I have startled myself once or twice in the early morning hours. I usually keep the doll stored and covered outside of a utility room and left it uncovered after the first photo shoot I did. When I walked next to the doll in the half-awake period of morning after getting out of bed, I was quite startled to see this woman standing in my way and I had a brief moment of stunned silence. This is obviously a subjective impression on my part, but in reality, I honestly would find it hard to believe that the average objective individual would not see a very high level of overall realism in these individual works. For me personaly, this is where I give the highest marks. The superficial tactile realism is not that far behind.

What could be done better?

I know manufacturers are interested in this answer as this is how they grow and advance. With my limited experience, I really don't know what to offer in this regards and anything I would offer might be skewed based on my novice status with the product. What I can say is that what I was delivered met my expectations in many regards and exceeded them in some. Overall I would say that the look and realism exceeded my expectations, the functionality and other aspects met them. About as honest as I can be there without getting too subjective, which isn't my goal in this review.

Briko

• New Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
As far as objectivity goes, I thought photos might be a much better vehicle here than me just rambling on. I have seen many beautiful photos of dolls, both here and elsewhere. I have read lots of reviews as well. One thing I always wished for was that folks would display photos of their dolls, for the purpose of reviews, without the trappings that come with settings, wardrobes, lighting, and such. This gives someone new, like myself, a true idea of what they are getting in terms of overall details and craftsmanship, etc.

I think everyone who takes photos of their dolls aggress that studio lighting, clothing, and the environment can greatly influence your perspective on what you are seeing. Basically, given the right equipment and lighting, something can be made to look better or worse than they otherwise would in-person. This might lead some buyers to receive a product and think, "This is not what I thought I was getting." I would say most all of the photos out there both here and at the Sinthetics site I have seen are representative of the real deal. I would say everything is advertised accurately and I never was lead to think I was going to get something I wasn't based on a photo or the way a product was displayed, and I did plenty of browsing before my purchase. In other words, there will be no surprises when unboxed.

For the benefit of newbies or random shoppers, and with the spirit of objectivity in mind, I took photos of the doll without any attire, wig, jewelry or studio lighting. Just a Canon 1DS with a 24-70L and 580EX flash unit. No airbrushing, studio lighting, or poses based on what image I wanted to convey. What you see in the photos is what I got, sans the lint or stray hairs that are entirely my doing.

Front View Detail:

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review15.jpg

Seated Rear View Detail:

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review7.jpg

Side View Detail:

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review18.jpg

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review19.jpg

Anatomical Details

Subtle Features such as belly-bulge, clavicles and collarbone detail are to be found on the doll and are one of the special features that sets this brand apart, IMO.

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review9.jpg

I have found the breast detailing and textures to be very lifelike:

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review12.jpg

Hand and Feet:

The application of the nail and pedicure are spot-on and applied professionaly.

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review8.jpg

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review10.jpg

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review16.jpg

Face Detail:

The application of makeup was very nicely done. The details are impressive. The tounge is very life-like in both texture and feel.

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review4.jpg

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review6.jpg

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review11.jpg

The Naughty Bits:

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review5.jpg

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review13.jpg

Insert:

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review17.jpg

Finally, I thought I would show the head design and structure to those interested. The eyes are adjusted by opening up a flap on the top portion of the head. The silicone seals nicely and the design is very efficient as well as strudy. The eyes themselves seem to be of a very high quality. The actual adjustment end of the eyes remind me of tiny lightbulbs. The white button in the front is depressed to release the head from the neck assembly. The head clicks into place on the nexk stalk. IMO, this is represents a very well-engineered and thought-out design. The only thing that needs to be removed to adjust the eyes is the wig. Saves a lot of time and effort when adjusting the eyes. The eyes also move with relative ease and accuracy and a lttle bit of lubricant makes it even easier.

http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/albums/userpics/review2.jpg

Overall, I am highly pleased with the details and believe the craftmanship and attention to details is what impresses me the most. I hope that these images will allow a viewer to draw some of their own conclusions. My intent here really is to be informative and try to retain a sense of objectivity. This was the best way I figured I could do this. 

I would like to thank Matt and Bronwen for their work and fine craftmanship in creating the product. I certainly would not hesitate to reccomend them to a new buyer. Preferences are entirely subjective and are dependant on likes, dislikes, and personal tastes. However, if Sinthetics does catch your eye, I can say with a high degree of confidence and honesty that you will be pleased with the overall product.

roustabout

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »
Thanks for the review Briko. It was very informative and helpful.
Stacy is a Realdoll body 7 face 2.

Polaroid

• Sr. Resident
  • Doll Paparazzi
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
Great review and photos Briko. Thanks for sharing

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
Awesome review Briko!  Glad things worked out for you!  Enjoy your girl :D

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »
Briko,

Thank you for your review.
Couple of things.
1. You showed front view and rear view. Could you also please show the side view on stand with the straightest pose Melody has?
2. I would not advocate loosening the elbow joints. Joints do tend to loosen over time and there is nothing worse (well, yes there is, but you know what I mean LOL) than loose elbow joints which cannot hold a pose.

muzza
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Mark_at_MaddyG

• Resident
  • VP at Maddy G Productions
    • It's A Tasha Thing
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
Briko;

Excellent review, very informative and well written.

Already having a Sinthetics, I can't add much to this, other than to say I think your points are spot on and mirror many of my own experiences.

I think this is a very accurate, honest and helpful review for anyone considering the brand.

Bravo.

Briko

• New Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »
Briko,

Thank you for your review.
Couple of things.
1. You showed front view and rear view. Could you also please show the side view on stand with the straightest pose Melody has?
2. I would not advocate loosening the elbow joints. Joints do tend to loosen over time and there is nothing worse (well, yes there is, but you know what I mean LOL) than loose elbow joints which cannot hold a pose.

muzza

Thanks all.

Muzza, I put all the gear away a while ago and melody as well.  I certainly will take a couple side shots one evening this week when I get a chance. I really never thought of a body side shot as I didn't think anyone would be that interested.

I intentionally avoided the full-body wide angle shots with the doll in a vertical standing pose as, due to the modest dimensions of my man-cave, I would need to use full wide angle around 17mm and, given the slim and stacked profile of the doll, such a close and wide perspective will distort and exagerate the proportions. I really was just trying to give a real-as-life view as possible so anyone sees close to the same visual effect as if they were standing there looking at the doll in person.

Fuzzy78

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:14 AM »
very well written review well done! and thanks for the photos it certainly adds to the picture (the mental one that is, although your equipment, since i am a gearhead, rather makes my heart skip a beat)

wat i've found to be quite interesting, is the breast size seems to somehow differ from doll to doll, sometimes i think omg thats just insanely big, and sometimes i think,  mhh nice big boobage, maybe someone can explain that to me? anyhow what i'm quite interested to  hear, is whether she had a breast enlargement.

ehh bother my mouth is watering again
thanks for the review!

Mahtek

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Lone Star living
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
Wow, that's possibly one of the most complete reviews that I've seen!

Well done, Briko!

Mahtek & his Ladies
Home is where your dolls are.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
Thats quite an awsome review!
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Briko

• New Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the feedback. I was going to do a photoshoot but ended up writing some comments and it turned into a full review. I thought I would go all the way and be throrough enough that most people could find what they wanted.

To Furballz questions, the size of the breasts on the doll I ordered are standard. There is a 'super-size' option that ups the anty a bit. Not sure how much the difference is but it is noticeable in photos.

oldjacket

• New Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
Briko, Awesome review.

The pictures are great!

Cheers,
OJ

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
That was an outstanding review Briko!  Very detailed and informative.   Thank you for sharing it with us!