Author Topic: ODC members visit Mechadoll USA  (Read 5136 times)

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
ODC members visit Mechadoll USA
« on: August 04, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
Ok guys, not sure if you're aware of this but last weekend several ODC members were out in California visiting.  They did some site-seeing and also visited both the Sinthetics shop AND Mechadoll.  Unfortunately, I couldn't go on the trip but I am currently trying to get the ones who did to make a post and show any pics here.  I don't want to say much more since I wasn't there but I can tell you...

1.  The shop does exist but its quite small.
2.  They only saw 4-5 molds and one complete doll.
3.  Yves and MattW were both present.

Hopefully one of the attendees will post something soon.

The trip has a thread in the 'Dolls in General' section here....  http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=5304.0  There are 1 or 2 pics posted in that thread that were taken at the shop.

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
Re: ODC members at Mechadoll USA
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
Thanks Euchre, I had no idea that was happening ???
Interesting! I must pay more attention in future. :facepalm:
She ain't heavy she's just rubber

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: ODC members visit Mechadoll USA
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
Actually there were two dolls. One was fresh out of the mold with no face. The other was very pose-able, and I was able to do the water bottle softness test. We also saw the skeleton. This one was all box steel, and had one piston in front. It felt like it weighed about 15 to 20 pounds. We all got plenty of pictures and I'll get them out this week. I just finished the Comic-Con pictures I took the week earlier.

litlluvr

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Here's the pic of the recent De-Molded Mechadoll body...

If you're wondering who that is in the pic with the body, that is Davecat who you may have
heard about and Amber Hawk Swanson. Davecat has done a number of documentaries on
doll ownership and Amber did a project called "Amberdoll" where a doll (Realdoll) was made
in her likeness and she kept track of events involving her doll & her.

This pic shows a recently completed Sophie that Yves brought with him from home and we
had the chance to see her and to move her around.

Yves, Matt, and Ron their production person were with us at the workshop where the dolls
are made. They have to share space with two other businesses that are in the same building
so their workspace is on the small side. I didn't see any heads being cast or worked on at
the workshop. From what I remember, I think Yves does the heads at home and then brings
them to the workshop. The bodies are mainly cast at the workshop and everything is assembled
there.

I can tell you that the current skeleton that is being used is nothing like the older round tubing
skeletons that were previously used. They now use 1/2" (10-11mm ?) inner diameter square
stock tubing. There is one small strut that goes from the pelvic bracket to the lower back spine
in front of the skeleton ( Front Abdominal Area). They are using bolts with Ny-Lock nuts in the
joints and they do put some Locktite on the threads. Me & Mahtek did bring up about posssibly
using some sort of nut that you could put a Cotter key through (Castle Nuts??)and bolts with
holes in them to prevent the nuts from getting too loose. Ron & Matt did listen to our ideas and
made notes.

We found out from Yves that most of their doll sales are coming from China and someone even
inquired about having 1,000 Mechadolls created for an event!!

Folks, from what I've seen I can kind of understand why it is taking awhile to get Mechadoll orders
filled. The workshop area is on the very small side and there was only about 3 dolls in various stages
being worked on that I was able to see. The staff only has 3 folks that I saw there with us, so it is
a very small operation.

I can tell you that Yves, Matt, and Ron treated us very kindly and we even had the chance to enjoy
dinner with them. The visit to their workshop was a real eye opener and did answer a lot of questions
for us who were there. If there is any way you can arrange a visit to their workshop, I would recommend
it. I didn't ask Matt if he was working another job and that's why it was hard to get in touch with him.

I hope this post helps to answer some lingering questions about Mechadoll.

Take care! litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla and Michiko.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »
Okay I uploaded the Mechadoll picts to my gallery, but no blog yet.  http://incredidoll.com/gallery3/index.php/DolLApolooza-2013?page=2

This is a picture on how they cure the "jelly" in the breasts. The copper plates are heaters to help cure them quicker.

Brand new doll. Amber is pointing out the "bumps" from being shaved;

Davecat loses composure for a second ;)  I think he is channeling Camp  :whistle:

This is the make shift Boob Softness test. We had a metal ruler but it reflected the light. So we marked a stir stick.

Looks like it deflected better than a full inch.

Here is the skeleton. There are some more changes. The shoulders no longer move near the spine. The forearms don't rotate, and the finger wires go into the end of the tube to make the whole hand.

That damn bear   :ceej: :scold:

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
Last but not least Dinner out at a local restaurant;

Ives, Ron, and Matt White.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
That's awesome that Mecha laid out the red carpet for you guys.

Nothing like seeing where the magic is made.
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables."

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:37:41 AM »
Thanks guys, :thumb:
This is answering A LOT of unknowns!  Its really good that they let you in and gave you a warm welcome.
Yeah I recognise Davecat and Amber from their documentaries.

I'm sort of quite surprised they let you take photos of the skeleton, I would have expected them to maybe be a bit secretive about it, so that's good they let you take them.

One question though, the photo of the assembled skeleton is all black, did you (incred) say that skeleton was all box steel?  If so the skeleton has changed a lot since Izzy was built, but steel would surely add a considerable amount more to the overall weight of the doll. 
The shoulder joint looks different to my operation photos.

They are using bolts with Ny-Lock nuts in the
joints and they do put some Locktite on the threads. Me & Mahtek did bring up about posssibly
using some sort of nut that you could put a Cotter key through (Castle Nuts??)and bolts with
holes in them to prevent the nuts from getting too loose. Ron & Matt did listen to our ideas and
made notes.

Castled nuts and cotter pins could be an option, but might prove difficult to get the tension right.  I think this is one thing that could and needs to be improved, there are some really good locking washers available today and used in conjunction with nylock nuts and locktite could be an answer for loosening joints.
When I have the time I'll be fabricating a similar joint and testing various washers.  I'll post the info and if they want to use the ideas they are welcome to, as it helps the greater cause.  The swivelling joints are especially prone to undoing themselves even with nylock nuts and locktite. 
The forearms don't rotate
I think these are the problem joints and maybe why they've changed them.  A limb of silicone is a fair bit of weight for one bolt and nut to cope with.

Nice to see the photo of the way the booby flesh is cured!  I thought that might be another trade secret, not any more!

Very interesting though, glad you guys enjoyed the visit.  Hope there's more photos and info to come!
Flash.

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
SD, the bloke in the 2 pictures is Davecat, not Incred.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

I'm sort of quite surprised they let you take photos of the skeleton, I would have expected them to maybe be a bit secretive about it, so that's good they let you take them.

One question though, the photo of the assembled skeleton is all black, did you (incred) say that skeleton was all box steel?  If so the skeleton has changed a lot since Izzy was built, but steel would surely add a considerable amount more to the overall weight of the doll. 
The shoulder joint looks different to my operation photos.

They said everything was fair game. I did talk to Ron about the skeleton. He was saying that Ives is making changes all the time so it would not be surprising for the shoulder to look different. That skeleton was not finished, but I suggested that they round the elbows because of the sharp corners.
They use the strut to help keep the doll from folding up when picking her up.

The skeleton is steel along with the joints, but they have simplified it by taking out some joints. The forearms use to twist but nobody seemed to know that so they took it out. The shoulders now only move at the ends and not in the middle too. The skeleton felt like it weighed 15-20 lbs.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
Just a question for incred,
I have personally met in France to Mr. Becker , which is Matt the second or the third??

Front to back, Ives, Ron, Matt.

Z-Dr

• Sr. Resident
  • City Engineer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
Thanks Euchre for starting this thread.

We had been in contact with Matt White for a while before DollLAPalooza at the end of July.  He, Yves, and Ron (the production guy) were kind enough to consent to let us come visit late on a Friday, during our event.  Eight of us made the trek to the production facility near Lakewood, CA where we got to meet Yves, Ron, and Matt.  The rest of the production crew was already gone for the day.

Like Litlluvr mentioned before, the facility is shared with others.  The small rooms are actually climate controlled rooms that were built inside a fairly large warehouse space to pour the dolls.  Other activities that don't require a carefully controlled environment occur outside the two small rooms where we spent most of our time during the visit.

We saw a doll that had just been demolded, several that were in process, and one that was completed and about to be shipped out.  They showed us a set of breast forms that had the "jello" inserts and allowed us to explore and play with pretty much everything in the shop.  The skeleton we saw was destined for one of the in-progress dolls.  They made us abuse samples of the silicone to see how strong and stretchy it is.  Very impressive.  The silicone has a wonderful fragrance to it.

I brought along several dolls including one of the original Mechadoll Sophies (Lindsey) and a MyPartyDoll Leeloo (Madison).  Yves seemed excited to see some of his former creations.  Apparently, none had ever come home to visit Dad before. ;)  It was nice to see several generations together at the same time.

After our visit, we all went out to dinner and were able to spend more time together.  I was able to spend quite a while speaking to each of these people individually and have to say I am quite impressed by all three.  I was also able to stop by the facility a few days later and talk some more with Yves and Ron as well as getting to meet some of the production crew.

I still have to upload my pics and go through them to see if any are worth posting.  I don't think I did a very good job of avoiding getting people in the pics but we will see.  Stay tuned...   

FlashGordoll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 02:32:14 AM »

They said everything was fair game. I did talk to Ron about the skeleton. He was saying that Ives is making changes all the time so it would not be surprising for the shoulder to look different. That skeleton was not finished, but I suggested that they round the elbows because of the sharp corners.
They use the strut to help keep the doll from folding up when picking her up.

The skeleton is steel along with the joints, but they have simplified it by taking out some joints. The forearms use to twist but nobody seemed to know that so they took it out. The shoulders know only move at the ends and not in the middle too. The skeleton felt like it weighed 15-20 lbs.

Incred, did they say that this is the skeleton that's used in ALL their dolls?  A change over from aluminium to steel will surely add more weight to the completed doll's. 
Did anyone ask them about the differences between the advertised weight of the dolls and the actual weight?  Or is this part of their 'fair game' policy?

With regards to the simplifying of joints, maybe only new doll owners wouldn't notice that the arms don't twist because they wouldn't know any different, but someone like Silicondoll will notice because he's owned many Mechadolls. :o
It seems the current skeleton has taken a leap backwards from the older skeletons with the machined joints.

Also when you looked at one of the completed dolls, where was the seam line on the face.  Was it in front of the ears or behind the ears?  I'm interested to know whether this is something that's also changed, as it was and still is written on the website that the seam for the face is behind the ears, but is on the front with Izzy.

And did anyone ask about the detachable face and how a customer could do this?

Flash.

Jesse1965

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:40 AM »
If you look at the picture of the recently demolded doll, you can see there are no ears.  The ears are part of the face, and so the seamline must be behind the ears.  I can't understand why yours would be different.  Maybe someone asked all these questions, but I don't remember hearing it.  I hope someone can answer the weight question especially.
You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you'll never get any sleep with a redhead.

Silicondoll

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »
Thanks Euchre for starting this thread.

We had been in contact with Matt White for a while before DollLAPalooza at the end of July.  He, Yves, and Ron (the production guy) were kind enough to consent to let us come visit late on a Friday, during our event.  Eight of us made the trek to the production facility near Lakewood, CA where we got to meet Yves, Ron, and Matt.  The rest of the production crew was already gone for the day.

Like Litlluvr mentioned before, the facility is shared with others.  The small rooms are actually climate controlled rooms that were built inside a fairly large warehouse space to pour the dolls.  Other activities that don't require a carefully controlled environment occur outside the two small rooms where we spent most of our time during the visit.

We saw a doll that had just been demolded, several that were in process, and one that was completed and about to be shipped out.  They showed us a set of breast forms that had the "jello" inserts and allowed us to explore and play with pretty much everything in the shop.  The skeleton we saw was destined for one of the in-progress dolls.  They made us abuse samples of the silicone to see how strong and stretchy it is.  Very impressive.  The silicone has a wonderful fragrance to it.

I brought along several dolls including one of the original Mechadoll Sophies (Lindsey) and a MyPartyDoll Leeloo (Madison).  Yves seemed excited to see some of his former creations.  Apparently, none had ever come home to visit Dad before. ;)  It was nice to see several generations together at the same time.

After our visit, we all went out to dinner and were able to spend more time together.  I was able to spend quite a while speaking to each of these people individually and have to say I am quite impressed by all three.  I was also able to stop by the facility a few days later and talk some more with Yves and Ron as well as getting to meet some of the production crew.

I still have to upload my pics and go through them to see if any are worth posting.  I don't think I did a very good job of avoiding getting people in the pics but we will see.  Stay tuned...

Incred, did they say that this is the skeleton that's used in ALL their dolls?  A change over from aluminium to steel will surely add more weight to the completed doll's. 
Did anyone ask them about the differences between the advertised weight of the dolls and the actual weight?  Or is this part of their 'fair game' policy?

With regards to the simplifying of joints, maybe only new doll owners wouldn't notice that the arms don't twist because they wouldn't know any different, but someone like Silicondoll will notice because he's owned many Mechadolls. :o
It seems the current skeleton has taken a leap backwards from the older skeletons with the machined joints.

Also when you looked at one of the completed dolls, where was the seam line on the face.  Was it in front of the ears or behind the ears?  I'm interested to know whether this is something that's also changed, as it was and still is written on the website that the seam for the face is behind the ears, but is on the front with Izzy.

And did anyone ask about the detachable face and how a customer could do this?

Flash.

Hi Z-Dr, As many questions as Flash.
I do not have just one, agrees the company address information is in accordance with the mechadoll.com

http://www.mechadoll.com/pages/language/us/legale.htm
Mechadoll – Head Office : Lakewood, California 90712, USA

Amerika das Land der unbegrenzten Möglichkeiten