Author Topic: Sandy's profesional studio. New pix again!!!!  (Read 7227 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Re: Sandy's profesional studio. part 2 added!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
Ceej,

Nice work! Your pictures have always been good. With a model like Sandy, how could they be otherwise?  ;)  The best way to get good with any art form or equipment is practice, practice, practice!

More tools give you a wider range of options, but it always comes down to the basics: dressing the set, grooming and posing the model, 'painting' the scene with light. It is easy to get frustrated when you see others producing pictures better than your own (at least for me), but do not let this dissuade you from plugging away at it. I am most critical of my own work, but others still seem to like the results. I have been getting rather lazy as of late, resorting to simple 'point and shoot', as opposed to doing 'real' photography. I need to 'get back in the game' and put more effort into my photo sessions.

My umbrellas are over thirty years old, and are showing signs of wear. It is time for me to upgrade to newer equipment, too. I was holding out for a greenscreen kit (at $100 more than this one), but I am going to order this set instead. Thank you!  :thumb:

"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
See my gallery for their pictures.

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 08:34:42 PM »
Thanks Noq:) I apreciate the nice feedback :)
"More tools gives you more options" is exactly it!

If you decide to order a kit,
Read the reviews in their listings first...there are some good ones and not so good ones.some folks have had problems, but many were resolved right away by the seller.
When I got mine, one of the 3 bulbs didn't work. I phoned the seller and they promptly sent me a replacement free.
Knowing ahead of time that I might have to get a replacement bulb or something like that was a bit of a deterrent but the process was fast
and overall still worth the $$ in the end.
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
Ok I played around a bit more.  I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna need a much more solid tripod....cause even with the "eyeris" at full open some images are still blurry. and I use the time release shutter so I'm not touching the camera at all when the photo is taken.....hmmmm I just realized as I type this I never played with the ISO setting.  :whistle:  Oh well..  I just played around a bit with colour and the accent light, learning how it's position affects things....Sorry, no fancy poses, just playing around.

just playing around with colour:

A fun strip tease, accent light at a distance and to the left but not far left:

This one produced a nice soft image, though I think it would have been better had I placed the light on the right a bit closer.

Here the accent light is far to the left. and produced a nice highlight. though the camera should have been moved to avoid the accent lights wash effect.

here the only change is the accent light is almost under the camera. her goodies show more, but the overall effect flattens the image. so I prefer the previous.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

muzza

• Sr. Resident
  • Sunny Queensland, Australia
Re: Sandy's profesional studio. Third installation.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
Looking Good Ceej.
The things we do eh ...
Ah Love, could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry state of things entire. Would not we shatter it to bits, and then, remould it nearer to the hearts desire.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »
Thank-you guys:)

I'm still learning :P

Incred, I like your suggestion but I'm not sure how to get the twinkle in her eye without concentrating too much light on her upper body? I find that by bringing the lights close to her, some parts are over exposed.
Any ideas?

Also, I did some experimenting to try different ISO settings....and I find after ISO 200 I'm not happy with the graininess. I did however, discover that changing the ISO (and nothing else) did not change that some pix come out blurry.... :whistle:............So, as a last resort before getting a different tripod, I tried the manual focus and took a handful of pix (same position, etc) and all turned out consistant and reasonably focused.  I was very apprehensive about using the manual focus because my distance vision isn't so great. I know the camera's eyepiece has an adjustment to compensate for that but I'm still not confident with that....so what I tried when I did my experimenting was to set the frame how I want, then tilt the camera to put the face in the center of the viewfinder, use the auto focus on the face, and make sure the focus is good, then lock the focus by switching to manual, then tilt the camera back and take some shots.   If that makes any sense, it seems to give me consistant results.

life-is-plastic

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 04:31:01 AM »
Ceej, that last way you focus is a smart move, as modern slr cameras don't really have the screen (inside the viewfinder) for proper manual focusing. You can use that point-to-focus-and-re-position way of working also when shooting hand-held: point the central  AF-point in your viewfinder (btw: central AF-point is often the most sensitive) on the point you want to have in focus, half press your shutter and keep it that way, and with still the shutter pressed half-way re-compose your image and then press the shutter all the way. 

belshanar

• Retired Diplomat
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
I'm not sure how to get the twinkle in her eye without concentrating too much light on her upper body?

What I do to get these eye catches is to use a Desk Lamp. Not this one specifically, but this sort of thing. Also, what you could do is use a Mini-Mag type flashlight. It will have a relatively narrow field of focus for the light it produces, and will not be so bright as to alter your exposure and light composition.

Hope this helps!
It's what I do. I run, and I know things.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Freja (Willow head); Yuki (Kimiko head); Alicia head.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
I have use flashlights before too. but it can also be yellow in color because of the whiteness, and LED lights are blue.

A simple way is to wave the light across her face, or bring it from one side and go back, or switch the light on, and off.
It's good to have light on her face.

Another thing is the monitor that you use to edit the pictures. With my pictures the monitor I use is a Sony Xtra Bright so to me they look okay, but on other screens they look dark, so I have to compensate.

Seeing your latest pics her body is well lit, but you need a bit more form higher up. Her hair is blending into the background.
Of course the  :redhead: wig helps  ;D

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
I just finished taking a few more "formal pix" and I think I solved the irregular blurrieness problem Ive been having...looks like when I lock the focus, it works :)

I took about 3 dozen pix and they were all nice and focused :)

here are a few:

I managed to get some twinkle in her eye here:

a few shots, each with accent light placed a bit differently:

Out of this set this is my fave, IMHO the light is well balanced and nothing is over lit
I also like how the light on her right boobie highlights it.

This one IMHO is either just a bit over exposed or a bit too much light on Sandy's upper body.

I appreciate all the advice and compliments. they do help :)
The flashlight idea is a neat one!
The wig she wore on that last shoot was an especially dark one...
I suppose I could have used a different background or a different wig. In this set her hair is a bit lighter and doesn't blend so much into the background.

I think I'm well on my way to getting decent results that I'm happy with! :)

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Re: Sandy's profesional studio. New pix again!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
When I took the Mob pictures I was planning to cut the girls out and put them in another black background so I wasn't to worried about it except that I wanted them to stand out from the background. I put a clamp light on the stand behind the doll, this helped separate the doll from the backdrop. At the time I didn't have black cloth, but I did have black shower curtains which is why it looks like plastic  ;D
Also there is a light shining down on her head to help separate her hair.

That's a lot of black.

Platinum blonde is a bit easier, or a white blouse;

Your last two pics are both excellent. Your fav is also mine,but the brighter one is right there too. Some people like the pic a bit dark for more artsy look, most peeps just want to see the doll and brighter is better  :whistle:

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
Focus is something to watch out for. I can change where the focal point is in my camera, but sometimes it is not in the right place for picking up the light source, I explain that next. So I do what you did. I auto focus on the area I want sharp then set it to manual focus to lock it in. If your camera only focuses from the center then your best to focus that way. Bringing the F stop out to a higher number will also increase your depth of field, or bring more into focus, and the lower the F stop will make it tighter.

Now back to the light source. Your focal point is also where the light meter is. If the light source is in back of the subject, or the more intense light is not where you want to focus then have to do several things. In this next pic to compensate for the outside light first lower the F stop. I know letting more light in, what the F stop  ;D, but the focus is on her front and face, which is dark. Remember when you focus on the dark area the focus area is also the where the light meter is, but with the intense light at her back, shining in the lens it will make her dark. By letting more light in the background it will be wiped out, but the dark area will be brighter. You will have to have to play with the +/- button to lighten it up.
 With the focus in the center you will have to focus in on her face to lock the focus, then move back to get your subject in the picture. Notice the curtain is out of focus because of the narrow depth of field;

Now you could do a couple of other things to compensate for the back light. I do have a light at her front, but it wouldn't be enough to fully compensate. A stronger light would , but another trick is to fool the meter by placing your hand over the lens just covering the strong light. This will make the camera think it need more light, or get the light from your focused, dark area.

If you don't compensate enough you get artsy  :whistle:

Don't a afraid of the light. People want to see her smiling face, and a few other things  :drool:

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
You had me at...

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.