Author Topic: Sandy's profesional studio. New pix again!!!!  (Read 6837 times)

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
Re: Sandy's profesional studio. New pix again!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 09:18:27 PM »
Thanks Incred that's a lot to digest but I do appreciate it and am taking notes.

A few things,
I can set how the camera's auto focus works but if I play with too many things at once I'll go over my head and forget things.
I think I have 3 ways to chose how the auto focus works, I also have 3 ways in which the light meter asses the light.
I'm not afraid of the light so much but I really like how the lower light photos show the subtle contours, I find with too much light
those details are washed out and my model looks "flatter".

Beautiful pix by the way :)
"Leaving it to the imagination" is highly overrated.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
It is all about trial and error, or I should experimenting. When I first set up the camera I have the settings at ISO 100, F11, and the exposure auto sets at 1/2 sec. I set the white balance to Auto to see where to go from there. The first picture looked too blue so I switched the white balance to the temperature scale. I remembered you didn't have that feature, but you should have modes for bright sun or shade, and so on. Try and experimenting with those too. They will give you different intensity of colors and light.

Back to the Kelvin scale, light is measured in degrees Kelvin. When I took the pic in K mode it was 4800K and made the pic too red;

I also didn't realize at the time but the exposure compensation was at -7 which makes it under exposed. After playing with the temp color I brought it down to 4200K which makes it bluer. Then I want to 'Bracket' the pictures by taking three pics at -3, 0, +3. That is when I found it at -7  :whistle:
This changes the exposure time to 1 second at +3.

+3

Not a lot of difference, but since she is at the beach the +3 will look more correct as in bright sun.

Lets get back to lighting the set. This is how I set up the lights for a beach set;

Pardon the mess, the things you see outside camera range  :whistle:

Notice where the tripod is.
All the lights are daylight bulbs or 5000K. Starting on the far right that light is lighting the back ground and her back. The three lights over the bar help but they aren't directed at Myffy. The two lights over her head add light, but are about 50 watts combined. The two clamp lights to her right front is where I want the sun to be, and the last one is a filler light set back a bit.
The clamp lights also have two types of bulbs. The two on the right are 23 watt flood lights (120w equivalent) They put out a more diffused light, but not as good as an umbrella.  The two clamp lights on the left are 23 watt CFLs (120w equivalent). They use the the reflector to focus the light to make it more focused. So basically I wanted the sun to be on her right and up high, and the others are to flood the area.

So you end up with

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
Great picture :)

You sure have a lot of lights and they work well. Michaelangelo had a set of lights, 2 of them on stands, very similar to your CFL clamp lights on the left. He liked those better than umbrellas. he found umbrella lights were too diffuse for his tastes.
That's quite a change in colours from your first pic to the other.
Your right, I have a handful of pre-set white balances. for different lighting conditions like cloudy days, sunlight, tungsten, fluorescent lighting etc.
I did tinker with those a bit but nothing beats the 18% grey card manual white balance..Nothing else I have tried gives me colours as pleasant.

Its re-assuring to know that someone with your experience does experiment still. Means I'm on the right track.

Sandy is a B6 Classic Realdoll, Nicole is a Realdoll Petite 5. They both share classic F1 faces as well as all the classic F1 expression faces. Sandy also has several sets of reuseable "Real Breast" prosthetic breasts.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:02 AM »
     One thing to remember when attempting to simulate an outdoor scene inside is this: Even with bright sunlight and hard shadows, there is always some amount of diffuse light bouncing around all over the atmosphere and off of every surface in sight, including the ground.

The light-colored drop cloth that Incred has laid down does a good job of simulating light-colored sand on a real beach. If your shooting location has a dark floor, a simple light-colored bed sheet can bounce up a lot of light. The extra lights in the room, including the regular room lights, help to provide some of this diffuse light. If your room has a white or light-colored ceiling, aim a light or two to bounce light off of this. Cheap clamp lights can be mounted on drawers, cabinet doors, or the backs of dining room chairs. Light stands are much like camera tripods, but more lightweight and a lot cheaper.

As in Incred's example, light from one area should be brighter (more powerful) than the rest to simulate the sun. If you have enough lights, you can also group them into this one area, rather than having just one high-powered light there. Try to use the same type and color of light sources in all of your studio lights. When using florescent bulbs, give them a minute to warm up to their operating color temperature.

In almost all of Karl Taylor's videos, he also uses a reflector to bounce light back into the scene. This reflector should be as close as possible to the model, but remain off-camera. Simple and inexpensive sets of reflectors can be the large pieces of white cardboard available in most general stores. If you get the three-sided free-standing pieces that kids use for school projects, they can be placed on the floor or a table top. Flat bedsheets or cheap, paper tablecovers can be tacked or taped to the walls, or draped over furniture. Most printed vinyl tablecovers are still white on the back side.

Energy-conscious people may want to plug groups of lights into power strips that can turn them all on and off during changes in the scene. A low watt 'modeling' light, like those used to aim flash systems, can be left on during the entire shoot. Turning off your camera at this time will also save some of the battery life.

:) :) :)
"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
See my gallery for their pictures.

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
Ahh, some good points Noq, that might very well explain why Sandy's legs (lower half of her body) was so hard to light.

For now I'm having fun with the stark black sheet. but I'll definilty remember a more reflective surrounding for photos I want to insert Sandy in.

Ceej

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
This is similar to how I have set the lights up for most of my new shoots.
I have the lights set like this only a mirror image and the lights are further out, just out of view. So the light shining on her face is on the right, and the light on the left is just a bit lower...and some photos the accent light is far to the left.

I see how your suggestion is an improvement for Black on black...Thanks its a good idea :)